Author Topic: Back on the Red  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Back on the Red
« on: Dec 23, 2009, 08:16 PM »
 Well hit the Red again today. Started fishing by 7:30 am, Blue Igloo just beat us by minutes to the river  ;) ;). So we walked down and talked to Blue for a bit then went about setting up. Nice seeing you man! We were set-up just before sun-up. We started off in 20 FOW, First half hour went by with nothing on the flasher. Then I got a 20" Burbot, my first Burbot ever! Good way to start the day. Another hour went by with no other fish caught so we moved up on to a Sand Bar, water depth varied from 12 to 14.5 FOW. FOUND EM! Dropped the Humminbirds down and were marking fish instantly! Caught 2 right away then another. Time to drag the Shelters over. Drill some holes for the Shelters, and get everything set-up. Here we go, By this time it is 9:00 am. As I am setting up my Clam I look over at my dead rod to see it down and pointing down towards the hole! So Jiffy goes sprinting across the ice! I take a quick look on the flasher to see a big red mark. Grab my rod and there is weight so I set the hook!

My rod doubles over and I know exactly what I have on. I fight her for a bit and then she gets to bottom of the hole. MONSTER! I tried to get her turned right but she let go to soon. So once again I lose a Monster Green.

By this time others were moving from the deep water and two groups came up onto the sand bar. and the groups that did caught Greens aswell! The Walleyes were deffinetly schooling on the Sand Bar. Anyway, We get our tents set up and have instant action! I lost 5 eater greens one a bigger one after the Monster, all lost right at the hole (not my day) the 6th Green I landed and it was 17"er, nice! (released him due to growths) In between the Greens I also caught a bunch of Saugers (some nice ones 14+"). My dad Lost 2 nice Greens and caught 2 eaters and a bunch of Saugers.

All in all a great day! Now we found a spot where we know the Walleyes feed in the Morning (I know where I am going first thing next time). Once again nice seing you Blue Igloo.

Buckshot Spoons seemed to work the best, Salties for Bait.

Caught right around 20 fish and lost way to many to count. Would of had two limits of eater eyes but the fish would pop off right at the hole (happened lots today).

Merry Christmas everyone..... Tightlines .....
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Re: Back on the Red
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Great report Jiffy.  8)
My buddy went back today....fished your holes and did very well....mostly eater size wallies. He was home by 11am  :o
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2009, 12:29 AM »
 Awesome! The Greens defiently liking that place. Shhhhh,  ;) ;). I will be back out on Tuesday maybe a little earlier like Sunday but we will see. I am going right back to that spot early in the Morning.
Jaymes Hiebert

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2009, 07:07 AM »
Marked it with an "x" for you  ;)
Merry Christmas  :)
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:52 AM »
 Thanks!
Jaymes Hiebert

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Hey jiffy great report bud. Way to go! I do have one question for you though. Did you actually find a sandbar on the river or did you just move closer to shore in shallower water? I dont think ive ever found an actual sand bar in the river. Mabye its just me????

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:59 PM »
 No its a bar, its right smack in the middle of the river! As you move closer to the west shore it goes down to 21 feet, So its not just cause were moving closer to shore. I have only fished the west drop side of it. Tommorow I may drill and see if there is a another good drop on the eastside. It may be deep on that side too (it may drop off on that side). The bar itself is flat for a good distance and is about 8 to 10 feet at top and thats eight to ten feet in the middle of the river. It seems as though the Walleyes really like cruising that bar.  (we fish 14.5 feet where its starts to drop into 21 feet. Its is no dought a sand/mud bar in the middle of the river.

You can tell that it is silt build up from over the years. its near a bend and the current of the river has carved out the west side of the bend and deposited silt and gradually made a bar in the middle of the river. So I am thinking it is a bar that extends from the middle of the river to the east shore (we will see tommorow). But for the middle of the river eight feet is shallow so I think thats why the Walleyes feed on the bar..
Jaymes Hiebert

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Wow thats really neat jiffy ive been fishing the river for years now and have never stumbbled onto a mud/sand bar. Well thanks for answering my question i will be out tommorrow on the river too. I fish in a quickfish 6 and you would probably see a black pull sled and a jiffy auger behind the quick fish 6. Hope to see you out there. I wont be out thre till 8 am because im bringing the girlfriend but hopefully we will meet.

Offline Timto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Just curious, only fished the river once. Is this the place by the float planes? I am going out with my two brother in laws, my son and my nephew and would like to keep the kids interested.

Offline mjolnir

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Great report, can't wait to get out tomorrow
The worst day of fishing is still beter than the best day of working

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:44 PM »
 Mjolnir, If you see a short guy with an orange touque, come say hi.

I will be there tommorow morning.  ;D ;D
Jaymes Hiebert

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.