Author Topic: Lake Winnipeg  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake Winnipeg
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:48 PM »
 Well, It was time for Jiffy to hit the hardwater again. Now that exams are done it is time for fishing. Went to the Big Lake today at 7:30 am, must have looked funny with our Monster eight foot ramps sticking out of the truck. There was no way that any crack was getting in our way and if there would have been a crack that posed a problem for us or any of the other anglers we would have made it crossable  ;D ;D. Drove on at Warner and could not cross the crack so decided to try Chalet before breaking out the ramps. There is a very nice place to cross now out from Chalet (600 yards, approximetley). I don't know how wide that crack will be by tommorow with those Bomber winds (80 km's). Very hard to find the Walleye's today. Moved around lots and just couldn't find them. Set up the Eskimo in one spot and set a Tip-Up with a Gold jig and live minnow out side while I kept warm in the shack. 30 minutes later... Ding...Ding...Ding. There goes the Tip-Up bell, 20 seconds later a nice healthy 21 Inch Walleye slid onto the ice (First Tip-Up Walleye) ;D ;D. We moved after that thinking that the Walleye's were going towards the Shallows for the evening feed. Fished for an hour and decided to head for home. Packed in at 4:30 pm with two Walleye (21" and a 10"). Very slow. The Vexilar only picked up about 10 fish all day... SLOW. It will also be extension tome within days! Also there is a HUGE carck near the mouth. Some guys were out on the other side of the Crack but we didn't make it out that far. Fished as far as 1 mile from the mouth to 3/4 of mile from Chalet (and everywhere in between) Hey it was still great to get out again. May be going out on Monday to Lake Manitoba, nothing is confirmed yet but it is time to do some Perch'n. Good Luck to all who head out this weekend.

Jiffy
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline LeeMB

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Winnipeg
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:37 AM »
I fished all day Friday as well.  2 guys 8 fish all day.  moved quite a few times.  I did not mark many fish, and those I did wouldn't bite.  Maybe the guys will have better luck this weekend.  The winds are forcast for 80km's.  It could get brutal.

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:37 PM »
My partner & I fished Saturday morning & caught 7 walleyes ( 7.30 am till 11.00 am ) We cauaght all our fish from 8.30 am till 9.30 am? Then it shut down no hits & not many fish showing up on the fasher between 9.30am & 11.00am???

Offline Boomer01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Where can a guy buy live minnows in Selkirk/Lockport?  Coming up there in March and would be nice to have some in case.  Can you use live minnows on the Red River also?  Thanks.

Offline MNT MIKE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Ya you can use live minnows on the red....as for live bait im not too sure who if anybody sells them in Selkirk. You can go to Pro-Am tackle on Reagent Ave. in Winnipeg for them!
I see the Frisbee getting bigger,Bigger,BIGGER....then it hits me.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.