Author Topic: Lake of the Woods - February or March?  (Read 2215 times)

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lake of the Woods - February or March?
« on: Dec 07, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Some of you read and responded to my earlier post about going to either Devils Lake or LOTW for a winter trip with my wife. Thanks for all of the responses, we have decided on LOTW.

Next question, we are looking at either February or March, any recommendations? I’m thinking that March may be better but that is just a guess

Thanks again

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake of the Woods - February or March?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:58 AM »
We usually go up either the last week of Feb, or the first week of March.  While I really can't say we exclusively pick those days because of how good our luck has been, It is usually due to work schedules etc...  We have had really good fishing and what, for LOTW is considered slow fishing, both ways.  We are going up the last full week of Feb this year, just like last year.  I can tell you the last year we went up the first week of March, we left on a Thursday to come home, and they pulled all the shacks that Saturday!!  I can't say we ever had a BAD fishing trip up there, with the exception of 1 year, where we caught more tullabee (sp?) than walleye or sauger.  While they were fun to catch, we had trouble getting our limits of walleye and sauger for the trip home!  I won't say it was because the fish were not biting, as i felt it was due to we used a lower cost outfitter, and we noticed right off, that they were not placing the sleeper shacks anywhere close to the other outfitters (by a long shot).  We talked to some of the other guys that had used the other outfitters, and they had been hammering the walleyes!  I think it was a matter of placement of the shacks!  I think you will do well with either choice!

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Coach.... Do u have a any outfitter contacts?
Catching Any?

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:42 AM »
How about LOTW in February and Devils Lake in March just an idea. I have thought about giving LOTW a try but wide Devils an hour from the house I just haven't made it there.

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:06 AM »
Coach.... Do u have a any outfitter contacts?

Sportsman Lodge at LOTW  1-218-634-1589  That will get you in touch with the kids for the sleeper shacks, if your not inot the staying on the lake all day and all night, I'm sure they can point you to whoever it is there that schedule the day shacks.  I like Sportsman's Lodge or Ballards,  The reason I'm using Sportsman's this year, is that for some reason (they didn't explain why) Ballards is not doing sleeper shacks this year. :-\

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:08 AM »
How about LOTW in February and Devils Lake in March just an idea. I have thought about giving LOTW a try but wide Devils an hour from the house I just haven't made it there.

Hey Rusty, do you have any suggestions as to an outfitter that does sleeper shacks on Devils?  Just curious, as for a change, I might want to try that in the future!  I've never done Devils lake before.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:49 AM »
Just another option  http://www.borderviewlodge.com/fishing/ice-fishing/

WS

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:06 AM »
Might want to contact Lyon Sleepers. At Lyon Sleepers.com or by phone at 1-800-664-3735. When we go up we always stay with Tim. He is/was a guide at Ballards. Tim and his guys move the sleepers for every customer. They have moved ours once when the bite slowed down. Put us right on another good bite. They have day houses that you can use also. His guys are great. Once while up there it was my daughters birthday. One of his guys made a point to show up on his day off to deliver a present to her We knew nothing about it. What a great group of guys. Also Tim keeps his sleepers away from the pack. Which I find to be awesome.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I've always thought March ice can be a little iffy.
Bud

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I guess it all depends on the year. Last year the ice was good on LOW till the end of March as far as I heard.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:00 AM »
I guess it all depends on the year. Last year the ice was good on LOW till the end of March as far as I heard.

Tis true!!!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2014, 09:55 AM »
The wife and I are going the last weekend in February (fishing on 2/27 & 2/28) out of Zippel Bay Resort. We are doing the shallow water sleeper shack (15 to 20ft of water) with the deep water day house (30+ft of water). It cost a little more having 2 fish houses, but I felt that gave us the best shot at catching fish.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 AM »
Been to Zippel many times. Will say your plan is a good one with the two house approach.

Zippel Bay resort is an excellent choice, they will do everything possible to make your trip a good one.

Hope you and the wife have a great time! Let us know how you do!

WS

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Late March 2nd or 3rd week, the walleye will either be on the reefs near Knights and Bridges or they’ll be headed for the south shore where they’ll group outside 4 Mile Bay waiting to make the run up into the Rainy River depending on the severity of the winter. Either way that third week in March offers an excellent shot at some fantastic fishing with a legit shot at numbers of big walleye.

Ballards Resort is another good place to stay with shacks as well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.