Author Topic: Gill Slayer  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gill Slayer
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Fishing a well known lake yesterday using a Custom Jigs and Spins Slender spoon and slayed the gills... Caught a limit within an hour 1/4 oz tipped with waxies.. They couldnt resist...  Pulled them right out of the weeds..  Some met it half way down... Awesome day ;D
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Gill Slayer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:10 AM »
So are you like a rep for the company or you just like the lures? Don't get me wrong I like them too.
Anyway nice that you got out!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2016, 11:52 AM »
just your average fisherman, who had purchased some spoons to chase the elusive perch in SD.. Thought why not give it a try.. 

Amazed me how good they worked.. ;D
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:49 AM »
all ive used this year is slender spoons and swedish pimples, have yet to tie on a jig.catfish bass crappie perch and gills all love them. no reason to switch. did a lot of youtube and article research on ice fishing in late fall and its paying off. also got a lot of tips from here as well and my catch rate compared to previous years has multiplied greatly. granted  im fairly new to the getting serious part of ice fishing.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2016, 12:48 PM »
"Fishing a well known lake yesterday," C'mon man! That's funny.
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline HuskerIce24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:56 PM »
They work great but questioning your size.  1/4 oz would be huge for gills, Huge presentation and treble hook, can't imagine it was that big.  Guessing it was the smaller 1/16 oz?

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:56 PM »
LOL, cant give out the HOT Spot.... Had to muscle my way in between fisherman, walked up punched holes pulled 3 crappie out in the first 15 mins....The look on their face was priceless...   Flipped my hut over and filled my bucket and left

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2016, 02:58 PM »
GOOD catch....  It was 1/16th oz..  :-\

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2016, 03:55 PM »
When you fish those, do tip them with waxies?
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:06 PM »
When you fish those, do tip them with waxies?
  I cant speak for the other guys but I use waxies, butterworms and gulp.  not all at once obviously, when the bites hot  its gulp all the way. way more durable and I can get back down the hole quicker. just for fun I popped some holes in some spinner bait blades to make a few homemade spoons just to try, lots of options as far as blade styles and sizes, colors as well.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2016, 09:09 AM »
Actually I have a new supply from them on the way. For gills seems like smaller is better

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline HuskerIce24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2016, 11:59 AM »
I still probably have more confidence when I use waxies but it's tough to beat the convenience of plastics, lots of good options out there but so nice not having to rebait when you're on a hot bite and want to get back on the fish. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Just saw my custom order is on the way should here by this weekend! Going to a lake that has some nice sized fish! The length limit dropped on the waleye. Looking forward to a couple of great days on the ice!

Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.