Author Topic: New auger  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
New auger
« on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:39 AM »
Was out yesterday. Getting ready to pack up when a couple of guys showed up with a Jiffy pro 4 propane auger. Man that thing went through the ice fast! Going to buy one. My question is this. Does anyone have experience with the pro 4 lite?

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline crappie15

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I have a pro 4 and it's a good auger but weighs a ton. My brother and friend both have the pro 4 lite and have had nothing but troubles. I switched to electric last year and won't be looking back. I think power augers may soon become a thing of the past.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Lots of good to say about the 4. Can't say from experience but have heard of a lot of trouble from 4 lite.

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2016, 06:07 PM »
A friend of mine has the Jiffy propane and it works well. That being said, I have a hand auger and gas and am extremely close to getting the Ion electric and being done with it. Ion just makes sense especially in Nebraska.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:32 PM »
4 years now with a pro 4 and all im gonna say is if it ever learns to cook my wife's in trouble

Offline icecker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:40 PM »
unclegillhunter  check out icefishingtoday.com and watch the video on the k-system drill. looks pretty sweet to me
Tight lines, big eyes!

Offline csjohanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:00 PM »
I bought a 10 inch pro 4 this year!! Great auger been fishing 10+ times already this year still on the first bottle of propane, and I'm definitely not afraid to drill some holes. I would guess well over 125 holes already in ice ranging from 4-9 inches. Great auger would never buy anything else. It is a bit heavy tho. I wouldn't mind having a 6 inch k-drill for early ice fishing when you want to pack lite.
  FYI the pro lite doesn't come in a 10 inch

Offline Icenebr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:05 PM »
For three years I have used a StrikeMaster hand auger, removed the crank and have the drill adapter.  I use a 19.5v lithium drill, with two batteries.  I never have to go the second battery.  Simple and walks thru the ice. 

Offline HAVVY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:10 PM »
Buy the Ion.  I got rig of my propane and still have the jiffy 30 that's 25 years old for some reason.  I like the smell once a year. 

Offline IceDoc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:16 PM »
I bought the Clam Auger Plate and put a Milwaukee 18v Fuel Drill with it this year.  Took my 7" hand auger and put it on.  This is the greatest setup I have ever had.  Have used a Jiffy gas auger for years and this system put it to shame.  Had it out the week after christmas up in north central Nebraska.  Temp was about 20 degrees and we drilled over 50 holes in over 6" and still had power in the first battery.  For anybody in Nebraska looking at a new auger I would recommend this setup.  It works great and I got a new drill out of it.   Plus don't have to mess with gas, propane or anything just charge the battery and go. 
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Offline Slabsticker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:40 PM »
It sorta sounds like you are already talked in to propane vs electric (good choice in my opinion) and the real question you have is Pro 4 vs Pro 4 lite? Pro 4 all the way! I got the 9", it is quit heavy but runs like a sewing machine. It's easy on propane and starts Unbelievably!!! Won't quite out drill my Eskimo but it's real close, and leaks a lot less :) good luck!

Offline Martinezb9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:49 PM »
I got the pro 4 lite last year used it all last year here in Nebraska and a week up in SD Dakota and I still have not had to change the propane bottle out. Always starts for me. Fired right up this year after 3-4 pulls. I have never owned any other auger but with my mr buddy running on 1lb propane bottles not have long to carry around a gas can is a plus for me.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Electricity is our friend!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I put together my own "k-system" last year and strongly suggest that anyone looking at a new auger field test something similar before buying. 

Granted, I already had an 8" Nils hand auger so cost wasn't prohibitive.  That auger, matched with adapter and 20V lithium ion DeWalt Hammer Drill and 4 Ah battery (from eBay), beat anything I've ever used in 50 years of ice fishing:  light weight, fuel is virtually free, and it is an ice-eater. 

Before someone starts chirping about cost of drill & battery outweighing cost of propane or gas, my drill, battery & charger (purchased separately) totaled ~$180 on eBay.  That compares very favorably with any new gas or electric powerhead that I've priced.   ;D
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline jhankla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:30 PM »
My dad knows a guy who is a rep for jiffy and has a pro 4 and a pro 4 lite. He recommended the pro 4 after having used both. He said it's a better auger. Not sure his reasons.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Well my first choice was the jiffy propane. That ion? Is more money then I want to spend. The lowest price around on the Jiffy is at Cabelas. They only have the 10". Not what I want. So sticking with my Strike Master lazer mag for another season.

Thank you all for your replies and opinions!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:07 PM »
Well bass pro had the pro 4 on sale got it yesterday! Sold my lazer mag 3000 to my nephew so my wife is happy my nephew is happy and you all know I am happy! Going out to Zorinsky this weekend and cutting some holes!
Might even fish through some of them!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Ice Rambo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2016, 03:03 PM »
I have the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite, it has been a pretty good auger. The weight is nice, not as heavy or bulky as the Pro 4. Another thing to consider no matter what auger you get is the price of replacement blades. The Pro 4 Lite only uses 1 ripper blade which costs around $30, so not too expensive as compared to other auger replacement blades.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Went with pro 4. Just heard from this sight an several others that the lite had some issues. As to the weight that is why I normally go ice fishing with my young an strong nephew!

Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Awesome Choice...  Dont leave it out in the Extreme cold though...  Will need to warm up prior to use
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline cabr03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:24 PM »
Great choice, I got the pro 4 and I love it. Great auger. It starts first pull almost every time.

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:31 PM »
If you're going to buy a pro 4, absolutely do not buy a first generation model. I bought one the first year they were released and it has been nothing but trouble.  They have redesigned the fuel system quite drastically over the last few years,  and for good reason. I have broke fittings and or fuel lines at least once a year for the last 3 years. The new model looks improved, but jiffys customer service is keeping me from going back. They weren't the least bit interested in helping me get mine going this year, without selling me basically a whole new auger. Might try to find parts from a dealer to convert to the new system,  but I don't think I'll be going with jiffy again. Don't get me wrong, when it runs, it's unreal. But it has sat in the shop almost all season as it broke the first time I took it out this year. I bought a clam conversion kit with a Milwaukee drill and to be honest I've kind of forgot I even have the pro 4.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Well I bought mine on Monday so I am hoping that I got what ever is the newest model. It was new. I saw a picture of the different generations and it looked like the 1st gen has a metal fuel line.

Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.