Author Topic: Spring Bobbers  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Spring Bobbers
« on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:36 PM »
There is a spring bobber that goes into the eye of your rod. Is the line supposed to go through from end to end? Reason I ask is I had on and the glue that holds the spring into the base prevented the line going through. Just a bad one or was it to high tech for me?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Spring Bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Yes.  The line should run completely through the inside length of the spring.  Maybe you could run a small drill bit or somehow poke something through the glue? 

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Tried that and it forced the spring out of the head. Liked the design. Guess I was given a bad one? Hey wonder if that is why I got it!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:46 PM »
Without a picture, I'm not convinced the glue is not there for a reason.  There are many "spring bobbers" out there, many designs.

That said, if you are convinced it's a "glue overrun", I'd use HEAT to melt (soften) the opening and something sharp to "clean it out".

A bic lighter might be best, avoiding nonmetalic parts as well as keeping the metalic parts from overheating those other parts.
The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:52 PM »
There is a spring bobber that goes into the eye of your rod. Is the line supposed to go through from end to end? Reason I ask is I had on and the glue that holds the spring into the base prevented the line going through. Just a bad one or was it to high tech for me?
Keep it safe! JDL

The only other issue you will encounter with the spring bobber rigged like you describe (running the line through the small diameter spring portion of the bobber) is that ice will form in the spring and make it difficult to let line out and reel line in.

The way I rig them is to add a rod guide at the end of your rod so it is on the opposite side from the tip top on your rod.  Then put the spring bobber in that guide and have the part of the spring bobber that extends away from the spring extend out in front of the tip top of the rod.  Run your line through all the rod guides and through then out through the "guide" on the end of the spring bobber.  This allows you to use a spring bobber and not have the icing problems.

I know my description is not the best so take a look here:
http://www.fishusa.com/product/St-Croix-Super-Finesse-Spring-Indicators?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=COeyjJKojcICFYZbfgodcoYA4Q

There is a photo there showing how the St. Croix spring bobber is installed.

You can make your own spring bobbers and then get some single foot guides with a size 8 eye and go to the hardware store and get a few rubber grommets and you are set.

ClearCreek

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Just throw that one away and get a schooleys spring bobber and the best way to put them on is to epoxy it or use thread and wrap it like a rod guide that's how mine are on they last forever and they're not very expensive either

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. It was a freebie. I am going back to the ones that clip on the rod. In the past I have used just glue from a gun. After looking at your replies. I think I will be doing the glue and wrap deal. Again thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:36 PM »
I have had a couple frabill rods that had this spring bobbers.  Nice enough rods.  Like the springs.  They were short enough to use them in the hut. Usually warm enough in there, no freeze up.  They didn't fair well when really cold out.  Yeah they ice up.  But isn't that why we all have 20 to 50 ice rods?  So that we are geared up for anything mother nature throws at us?

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Once I got my first shelter I haven't had much icing problems. Just thought the one I was given was smarter than I was!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Well I give up bought more of the ones that go in the top eye. Eyes either too big or too small. Bought a pack of those HT that go on the rod. Did not like the way they fit on the rod. I have decided to just watch the line. Like I used to do before I had enough money to buy a spring bobber of any kind!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2014, 08:03 AM »
The only other issue you will encounter with the spring bobber rigged like you describe (running the line through the small diameter spring portion of the bobber) is that ice will form in the spring and make it difficult to let line out and reel line in.

The way I rig them is to add a rod guide at the end of your rod so it is on the opposite side from the tip top on your rod.  Then put the spring bobber in that guide and have the part of the spring bobber that extends away from the spring extend out in front of the tip top of the rod.  Run your line through all the rod guides and through then out through the "guide" on the end of the spring bobber.  This allows you to use a spring bobber and not have the icing problems.

I know my description is not the best so take a look here:
http://www.fishusa.com/product/St-Croix-Super-Finesse-Spring-Indicators?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=COeyjJKojcICFYZbfgodcoYA4Q

There is a photo there showing how the St. Croix spring bobber is installed.

You can make your own spring bobbers and then get some single foot guides with a size 8 eye and go to the hardware store and get a few rubber grommets and you are set.

ClearCreek
                       That's what I have on my rods, go thru the end eyelet and thru the loop on end of spring, good to go!!  The St. Croix is adjustable to the weight of the lure you are using, I fish outside all the time and don't have problems icing up!!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2014, 03:49 PM »
Thanks I will take a look.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Well I looked and I have decided to just keep it old school! Just going to watch my line. If you pay attention you can detect a pretty shy bight. I guess I was trying to get lazy! Plus my eyes aren't like they used to be! So instead of 12.00 spring bobber I am going to get a 10.00 pair of reading glasses!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Don't give up just yet!

Crappie tend to bite "up" and a spring bobber will greatly improve your detection!

Now, if you're getting OLD like me, reacting to the detection may be one's biggest challenge!!

The rapala titanium spring bobber is hard to beat, is "adjustable"' and " slides back" out of the way when storing the rod.

Now, tell me you haven't wasted $10 on something in the past!  This won't be a WASTE!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Ok these look good not sure where to get them may have to get them online?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Scheels had 'em.  Rapala product- can't imagine not at BPS or Cabela's.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2014, 09:50 PM »
X2 on the titanium spring bobbers, just picked up some the other day after I had bought a half dozen cheap ones and didnt like them at all after seeing their attachment methods and action. Cheap ones went in the can, all titanium now.

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2014, 02:43 AM »
I bought some of these and the snap clip thingy was very hard to lock and unlock so I cut off the wire and used some rod wrap thread and attached it permanently to one of my rods....

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2014, 04:54 AM »
I bought some of these and the snap clip thingy was very hard to lock and unlock so I cut off the wire and used some rod wrap thread and attached it permanently to one of my rods....

I broke a rod tip trying to put one of those Rapala titanium spring bobbers on. It is a good concept, but the clip is poorly designed.

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:55 AM »
i agree 110%!!!!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:16 AM »
I am going to go with using eye tie thread to secure the base of one to the rod as a couple of y'all have suggested. Put on a rod that I don't normally use. See how it works and go from there.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Separating the two piece clip IS a challenge the first time out of the package, especially with NO instructions, but once figgered out, it is simple, easy and extremely manageable when adding just below the top line guide!

Once locked, it's ready for you to load with some fish!

Offline agingman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2014, 02:19 PM »
I like my spring to be at a right angle to the left of the rod tip
  I am ryobi handed.  I use auto shrink tubing to hold the spring.  Stretch the spring to attach to tip.  Remove rod tip using heat, then attach spring
heat and then 're-attach with supper glue.  If using wire spring bend at the end to give tune an attachment point.

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Separating the two piece clip IS a challenge the first time out of the package, especially with NO instructions, but once figgered out, it is simple, easy and extremely manageable when adding just below the top line guide!

Once locked, it's ready for you to load with some fish!

You will have to show my how it's done at the clinic at Mahoney in a couple weeks, H. I gave up after breaking a rod tip.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Sorry off topic but dakotaangler mentioned a clinic at Mahoney?
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:40 AM »
Will do, DA!

Thank you for posting the links.  Second one doesn't load for me, but I have HARD COPIES! HA!

Offline FISHNUT1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2014, 12:46 AM »
You will have to show my how it's done at the clinic at Mahoney in a couple weeks, H. I gave up after breaking a rod tip.

I figured out how to do and undo them but I don't like the rubber grommet, seems like its always in the way of the line between the eyes. heat shrink tubing would work better than permanently attaching the wire to the rod tip but im callin it a lesson learned.....

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2014, 03:22 AM »
Place the grommet just behind the top eye!  The wire SLIDES in and out ON TOP of the rod for different tensions and for ease when storing!

I used a pair of pliers to "lock" the grommet another notch more than I could squeeze it closed by hand.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.