Author Topic: Question for Daryl B  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Question for Daryl B
« on: Nov 07, 2014, 06:28 PM »
  Just wondering if anyone has seen any mountain loins around the salt valley lakes.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Question for Daryl B
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2014, 12:09 PM »
Maybe. . . .

;)

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2014, 03:13 PM »
I think there are A LOT more around than people think

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2014, 01:16 AM »
I can promise you there are more around than people think, i didnt get out much this year but the 4 years before i have done alot of atv trail riding, visually spotted 3 on separate occasions, seen one run across the highway once, and have seen tons of tracks near the niobrara river and tributaries leading up to. But im also looking for tracks on outings, and i can tell you now they are too big to be a bobcat lol. I wouldnt say there are alot of them around but there are more than people realize, and to be honest with you i think its awesome, maybe the ranchers might not like it much due to cattle, horses, etc but the idea of something coming back that humans have nearly wiped out is pretty awesome. If its a problem for the ranchers, say loosing calves or a cow or horse getting attacked which has seemed to of happened lately I think the State of Nebraska should just do some sort of compensation pending incident investigation. Just a thought, I feel its in the states best interest and well being of our ecosystem to continue to promote this, i would hate to have my son see the extermination of such awesome species, huge advocate of conservation here. and i feel it will take all of us outdoorsmen to keep it that way, not just some state legislation, the weight is on our shoulders in all reality.

Offline CaptMo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Well said Sandhillguy!  I agree with ya.  Would be nice if the state would have a "reimbursement" program.  I hate seeing these animals culled (killed).  People need to remember we're in their territory.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Just a few thoughts on the introduction or encroachment of wild cats, wolves, and other wild things:  Any wild animal is nice to see and admire in their element.  Their element as far as I see it, is feeding on other wild game in an area where they can be self sustaining.  When they are so starved that they begin feeding on our domesticated animals or preying on humans, then the line needs to be drawn and they either need to be captured and moved or eliminated.  Mankind and man's food sources still need to be preserved for future generations, so if the introduction of wild things affects our lives in a negative way, then changes need to be made to keep the wild things from taking over our lives and livelihoods.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Did not think that this thread was going to go off in this direction ::). . . .

But, here are some facts before going any further, http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/wildlife/wildlife_species_guide/mountainlion.asp.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Mountain lions are old news. I'm more worried about running into Sasquatch at night especially at twin lakes. Its a little spooky out there ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Well just to be safe. I plan on making lots of noise as I venture out on to the ice!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.