Author Topic: Otter bench seat  (Read 3398 times)

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Otter bench seat
« on: Nov 30, 2020, 11:35 AM »
What are your thoughts on the Otter bench seat? I've pretty much settled on the X-Over Cabin, can't justify the Pro though. My only reservation is that giant bench seat.
Any real world pros/cons to it? Any custom setups with it?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Otter bench seat
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Perfect solution for those with oversized butts...just sayin.

;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:50 PM »
The one thing that is cool about the bench vs. the individual seats is there is more storage in the sled with the bench because the single seat bracket hangs slightly below the sled edge whereas the bench frame is above the sled edges. Not sure if that would make a difference for you.
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2020, 12:55 PM »
In all seriousness, I chose a Clam X300 because I usually fish with 2 people and could remove a seat if I wished. The bench system is always there and does impact access to the stuff stored below it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:26 PM »
The bench seat sled bs the pro sled is also two inches taller overall. The actual height of the shelter is two inches taller inside the xt vs the pro because of this.

Offline Iawinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Had both. Never could get comfortable on the bench. Like sitting on a bleacher seat.

Buckshot beat me to it. The standard uses the sport sled vs the pro sled for the pro models.

If you're fishing alone, easy to take out 1 seat for more room.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2020, 06:42 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not crazy about dropping $200 more just for two bucket seats.
Couple more questions if I can continue to pick your brain...
1) will a standard 5 gal bucket fit under the  bucket seats?
2) The pole that moves for side entry, the black plastic connector mid-pole seemed kinda janky in the store, like there was a lot of deflection where the two poles met.

Offline Iawinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:28 PM »
Buckets don't fit under the bracket, but you can get them in between the seats. I put mine behind the seat rail, and put other items under the seats.

Can't help on the bracket, mine is the previous model.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2020, 09:56 PM »
Thank you. It sucks living in the Midwest, it's so hard to actually get your hands on something before buying.

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2020, 10:45 AM »
I have the shappel 100 and 50 with the bench seat and I love it. I actually mounted some rod holders to it  a nice comfy clamp on boat seat which I can easily remove to lighten it up to load it in my pickup. I use the ram mount swivel rod holders with the ball mounts. The holders can be removed very easily if need be. I put smaller diameter piece of PVC pipe inside the holder so it holds the short handle ice rods. With the ball mount on each side you add any other accessories You want or use rod holder. Ram makes a bunch of handy access. If you put a rod holder on each side you can store your rod in them when they are vertical while you are pulling your sled on the ice.

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2020, 01:26 PM »
Had a bench seat in a 3-person flip-over. First year was okay. After that I never liked it. If you fish a long period of time (like I do 12-18 hours a day) the stadium seating gets to the back and I stiffened up making it miserable later in the day. The padding wears out from "big butts" sitting on it year after year. Got a bucket seat in a solo flip-over last year... Like it so much, like sitting in the captain's chair. This year bought the Otter Pro X-Over lodge with the bucket seats and can't wait to use it. I fish alone most of the time so the extra seat will stay in the trailer as a backup. They do add considerable weight compared to the bench system. But the seat flips up out of my way for when I need to rummage through the sled for that jig I dropped.

Food for thought.
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2020, 06:05 PM »
Thanks guys. The Otter bench seat actually seems pretty versatile. The back will flip down and then the whole thing will flip back. I appreciate all the feedback and input. I think I'll go with the bench, and adapt from there I'd needed/desired.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2020, 07:09 PM »
Keep an eye open for 3 gallon pails, they work well under the seat. ;)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:12 PM »
I have some pails that fit under the bench no problem. They aren’t 5 gallons though, maybe 4? If you want some, just go to your local bakery. They will probably have stacks of them.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2020, 02:06 PM »
When at Bass Pro I grabbed some 5 gallon buckets they had laying around and I was able to stow them under the bench with about 1/4" to spare.
I also attached a pic here of the janky pole to convert it from front to side entry. I'm guessing it was assembled wrong somehow and that  ot everybody's is that way??

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2020, 03:46 PM »
The pole that slides inside of the bigger pole has a cap in the end of it. It came out. It’s a common problem. Take it apart, put the cap back in and crimp it with a pliers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.