Author Topic: Michiana Shanty  (Read 18860 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Michiana Shanty
« on: Jul 16, 2009, 02:57 PM »
I thought I would explain my shanty, and why I built it. I tried the canvas type and was not satisfied with the warmth or comfort. I always liked the idea of having a permanent shack of some sort, but are seasons are not long in my area. I live on the border of Michigan and Indiana. I can only get out about 20 times a year and the ice doesn't get too thick. In order for me to have a large shack i would have to wait for the ice to get safe then only be able to fish ten times, maybe? So I made my shanty out of desperation of wanting a hardside I could move around easily. Also I wanted to be able to push or pull it out on the lake by myself. For years I push my shanty all over several lakes in my area. Then one day I got an idea to run a rope through the shanty and use my Honda 70 three wheeler. I put a few screws in the tires and now I don't push it much. I have now found a 125 four wheeler that only weighs 200lbs. Now I can pull two shanties at the same time with men riding on sleds behind me. Here is a pic to show you what I mean. My friends say "its how I roll"
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: Michiana Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2009, 07:49 PM »
I thought I would explain my shanty, and why I built it. I tried the canvas type and was not satisfied with the warmth or comfort. I always liked the idea of having a permanent shack of some sort, but are seasons are not long in my area. I live on the border of Michigan and Indiana. I can only get out about 20 times a year and the ice doesn't get too thick. In order for me to have a large shack i would have to wait for the ice to get safe then only be able to fish ten times, maybe? So I made my shanty out of desperation of wanting a hardside I could move around easily. Also I wanted to be able to push or pull it out on the lake by myself. For years I push my shanty all over several lakes in my area. Then one day I got an idea to run a rope through the shanty and use my Honda 70 three wheeler. I put a few screws in the tires and now I don't push it much. I have now found a 125 four wheeler that only weighs 200lbs. Now I can pull two shanties at the same time with men riding on sleds behind me. Here is a pic to show you what I mean. My friends say "its how I roll"
(Image removed from quote.)
thats a nice set up. i always wanted to do my own shanty but as you have stated, i also have ice thickness issues along with the length of our ice season.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2009, 04:27 AM »
Ready to go fishing!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2009, 05:59 AM »
good job, looks pretty cool. sure wish i could have a winter hear that could support something like that.
hard core fanatic  Http:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2009, 07:00 AM »
I use this shanty on three inches of ice! The large one I am building will do the same. I will just have to be careful not to let too many guys in at a time on thin ice.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:03 AM »
3 inches, wow- how much does it weigh?i would never take a shanty i built on three inches of ice.i am a small guy coming in at 150 lbs and i myself might chance it depending on the quality of ice- without too much gear.that sounds a little crazy, be careful when your outthere!!
hard core fanatic  Http:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:34 AM »
By design, I simply don't take as much stuff with me. I leave the heavy batteries home and take a small 7ah. I also won't go out on three inches without other fishermen around. When the other fishermen leave, then I leave. Better safe than sorry. The footprint of my shanty spreads out the weight evenly. I don't know exactly how much it weighs but I think around 200lbs. I weigh 200lbs also.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Here is how it works Takes 20 seconds to put up. Longer to drill holes, Old pictures before I got my ICEGATOR.

Tip it over

Drill your holes.

Pull over holes.

Unfold walls.

Pull up walls and latch.

Pull up door side wall.

Ready to get in!

It's hot in here!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2009, 09:06 AM »
wow, thats pretty awesome, great job michianafisherman!
hard core fanatic  Http:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2009, 11:21 AM »
Thanks! Here is a picture last year with two of them in use. Gull Lake Gathering.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2009, 11:44 AM »
thats sweet!!! :thumbsup: :icefish:
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Good looking set up. Very nice.
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline camocrazy82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy, Fishy, Fishy!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Nice!

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:52 PM »
Nice setup,I was wondering about your windows could you explain them please!

Offline rich81

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2009, 08:46 AM »
sweet set up

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2009, 05:36 AM »
Nice setup,I was wondering about your windows could you explain them please!
I use .030 Lexan and make a type of thermopane. I use 1/8 inch plexiglass that I cut to the thickness of my wall. Then I make a frame out of the plex. Now cut one side from lexan about 1/2 larger all the way around. The other  side the same size as the frame. When you are done gluing, one side of your window has a flange that you can glue to the wall, and make a good seal.
I don't have any pictures, yet, But I will soon be posting some how 2's.
I have use this design for many years and have had no problems. I tried to make them out of .015 but they were too distorted. To thin to stay flat. I like to be able to see good! I also make shades that I push into the insulation to block out the light on sunny days while using the underwater camera or watching a DVD.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Nice setup.  Thanks for posting the pics of it in operation and during setup.  It answers my earlier questions.  What is the floor size?  Do you carry much gear inside when it's folded up?  I like how you
have the markers on the outside for drilling the holes. 

MD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jul 21, 2009, 05:26 AM »
Nice setup.  Thanks for posting the pics of it in operation and during setup.  It answers my earlier questions.  What is the floor size?  Do you carry much gear inside when it's folded up?  I like how you
have the markers on the outside for drilling the holes. 

MD
The two man floor size is 4 x 6. I am building an 8 X 8 that will work the same way sort of.
As far as carrying gear inside I stick the hand auger in one of the holes and hang the lantern on the handle. Also I have the camera mounted and the Vex, to the inside. I do leave things under the bench when moving around to fish, but not when I go home for the day. I may want to change a jig on one of my poles, or set up for another lake. Too hard to do if all your gear is left inside. I like leaving the poles in the bucket, then all I have to do is grab the bucket when I get home and change things over while watching TV.
I was wondering if anyone would notice the lines on the outside of the shanty, Thanks.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2009, 05:36 AM »
This is what I see.

The camera is hanging on the left. I am not using the Vex, but the ducer is in the pvc pipe ready to drop in the hole. The monitor for the underwater camera is just below the DVD player. the little cooler has my minnows. There is one more trick you might see?

Offline TeamTwoSticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2009, 04:20 PM »
is the other trick your built in fridge?

Looks like an amazing idea, doesn't take up to much room, looks like it moves easy and light weight.

awesome.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2009, 05:01 AM »
I will tell my secret. If you look over my right knee you will see a trolling motor waterproof switch. When you step on it a 50W 12 halogen light turns on. You can see it just under the underwater camera monitor. I fish at night for crappie, so what I do is, whenever I lift my bait out of the water I charge up the glow jig with the light. All I have to do is swing the jig in front of the light and step on the switch and I drop it down the hole. Makes a big difference.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2009, 12:45 PM »
No comments? I thought I had a good Idea? :icefish:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I guess I have been lighting my jigs up with an old camera flash for about 20 years and it works great for me. It stays in a pocket until it gets dark and then it hangs around my neck until I need it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2009, 02:20 PM »
These shanties are AWESOME guys!!!  Michiana i love these things!!!!

Thanks! Here is a picture last year with two of them in use. Gull Lake Gathering.

I see me!!!!!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2009, 07:37 AM »
i saw me too.......If I didnt hole hop so much I ould consider making one of these.....It is a great alternative to a true hardside.

Offline BBenoit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:15 PM »
man that is a nice pop up.  side by side and can you slide 2 of them into a truck bed? and do you have more pics of the build thanks  :icefish:
FISH-ON

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I built them to fit into a full size van one at a time. I use a trailer to haul both. It is an enclosed 5x10. One will fit into a pickup bed, standing up or laying down.   I don't have many pictures of them because I built them before I went digital. Also I built a new shanty bigger than both of them put together.  It is in the Ice shack tips under Michiana Shanty 2. Let me know what pictures you want and I will post them for you.

Offline adam9871

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2010, 07:05 AM »

michianafisherman, do you have any more photos of the walls and roof as it is unfolds? I want to build one, but an a little unclear as how it goes together.
Adam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:50 AM »
This is my old shanty design. Before digital cameras. I will pull it out of the barn and make you a video. It takes less than twenty seconds to set it up. If I forget or you don't see it, shoot me a PM         Rick

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.