Author Topic: Kids and Ice  (Read 854 times)

Offline Fresh Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on
Kids and Ice
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Just wanted to throw this out there, what is a good age to get the kids involved  ( how thick should the ice be before someone calls the cops or DCF lol) where they will have some interest and not want to leave early get cold etc. ? At what age were your kids hooked, I have some time to go my boy just turned 1 in Oct.

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kids and Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:26 AM »
All the best is still to come. Try a smaller pond or somewhere you may have more action. Remember more action will keep them interested. I started my son at 3 or 4 but really showed more interest in his early teens. Unfortunatly he was more interested in his hoop games than fishing...oh well.
Shorter action filled trips are always good! Keep em busy cleaning holes and checking bait. and don't forget the hot chocolate! that was always a big deal on the ice

Offline Boscoe

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Now taking off from A-1
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:42 AM »
I agree with Linebreaker.  I brought my son out for the first time when he was 3.  He now looks forward to joining me whenever I can get him out there - he's 4 1/2 now.  I don't take him on days that are brutal cold-like today.  If we're gonna be out on the ice for a while I make sure to bring my Clam shelter with something for him to do inside.  Emptying my jet sled on one trip provided for some fun also - see my avatar pic.  As a precaution, and because how much they love to run around while out there, I try to make sure the ice is at least 6 inches all around.  Overkill maybe, but for me better to be safe than sorry.   

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:19 AM »
i agree with both of them, i brought my daughter out when she was 5 [only because of her brithday]. i set up a ground tarp to keep us out of the wind. hot coco of t he ice is a god sent item need to have it. let them try to land a fish or two. how cares if they don't land them, when they don't land'em don't make a big deal out of it. give'em a high five for their good effort. they'll fish for you for ever. my daughter has already asked  if we can go out.

they only other thing i can say is if they get cold they will not go again. so buy them some of the good stuff that you buy yourself. like boots, jackets, hats and gloves. they will grow out of the stuff pretty fast. but keep them warm and they will fish. i buy my daughter great socks every year to go out with me. we have a good time. she'll bring some toys and i'll play with her. i've made a sled and pulled her all over the pond in it, if you make it fun they will make it more fun for you.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:02 AM »
My two sons both love to icefish!! they are 10 and 5 now. I think the key is to have fun take them to a place where action is almost a guarantee. with them its not quality its quantity! bass, pickerel,perch, crappie doesn't matter as long as the flags go off.. and bring things out to keep them busy during slow times gameboys, nerf football, plenty of snacks and drinks you get the picture. they ask me EVERYDAY now that its cold when we are going fishing but I will not take them till I am really sure the ice is o.k. for me the number is 3" but I will not take them out till I know there is 6+ gook luck!...Bob.. P.S. for me there is nothing better than getting kids out fishing what ever the season!! ;D ;D

this is Tanner my youngest

Colin my oldest and Tanner

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:07 AM »
My two sons both love to icefish!! they are 10 and 5 now. I think the key is to have fun take them to a place where action is almost a guarantee. with them its not quality its quantity! bass, pickerel,perch, crappie doesn't matter as long as the flags go off.. and bring things out to keep them busy during slow times gameboys, nerf football, plenty of snacks and drinks you get the picture. they ask me EVERYDAY now that its cold when we are going fishing but I will not take them till I am really sure the ice is o.k. for me the number is 3" but I will not take them out till I know there is 6+ gook luck!...Bob.. P.S. for me there is nothing better than getting kids out fishing what ever the season!! ;D ;D

this is Tanner my youngest

(Image removed from quote.)

Colin my oldest and Tanner

Good stuff, Mine still go with me at 16 and 19 years old. Its not easy getting kids with drivers licenses to spend time with you, but they love icefishing and make time for it.  :icefish: :icefish:Quality time spent with kids pays off!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:03 AM »
agreed i took my sons out last year they were 2 1/2 and 5 1/2. now i am taking them out wednesday with my dad. i look for 5-6 inchs of ice. my 6 year old will pull traps and haul in fish any time

Offline BobB257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:59 PM »
My son has been going since he was 6, my daughter since she was 4.   They love it.  But keep it action packed and fun.  No missions to the end..... if you know what I mean. 
Hot choc and food makes a big diff.  and I make um wear a pfd with the snow pants and parka.   5 to 6 inch ice is my comfort zone with the kids.  Mix it up with a jig and tip ups.  I go small shiners for action.  Kids love pan fish.  A flag and something pulling on the line is all it takes.  Overstuffed stunted farm ponds work great to get them going. 
Dont take them if the ice is wet.  Kids have a hard time with the "Stay Dry Part". 
Enjoy
Take a kid fishing, you just might learn a thing or two.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:56 PM »
My daughter will be turning 20 tomorrow. Let them know they're welcome to join you and they'll let you know. Some of our best memories are with my brother in-law and her cousins. Keep them warm, dry, and there belly's full and they'll have a good time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.