Author Topic: first idiot  (Read 2382 times)

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
first idiot
« on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:17 AM »
E-Mail News Alerts
Get breaking news and daily headlines.

Browse all e-mail newsletters

Man Falls Through Ice Of Vernon Reservoir
Fire Crews Pull Man To Shore With Boat

POSTED: 8:43 pm EST December 27, 2009

facebookdel.icio.usbuz zdiggreddit›› Email›› PrintVERNON, Conn. -- A man was rescued after falling through ice while ice fishing in Vernon Sunday.

Police said crews were called to Risley Reservoir just before 2 p.m. for a report of a man falling through the ice.

Officers attempted to pull the man to shore with ropes. Members of the fire department then pulled the man to shore with a boat.

The man was taken to Rockville Hospital and has since been treated and released

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: first idiot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:19 AM »
why would you risk fishing on the ice there. moving water under the ice.

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Bet he wont try that again. There are still safe places to fish even after the rain, you just have to use your head.

Offline Fresh Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I wonder if it was the same guy I saw there on Fri. and Sat. silver Toyota Tacoma, the Ice did not look good then.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:21 AM »
I felt bad for the guy... The video I saw on the news showed flags up in the background  :tipup:  ;D

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:42 AM »
I felt bad for the guy... The video I saw on the news showed flags up in the background  :tipup:  ;D
Blaine, only you would notice that. Sucks leaving all your gear out there. :tipup:

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:11 AM »
Especially with a flags up!

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:18 AM »
Every hard water fisherman is itching to get on the ice right now, and conditions just are not the greatest. They need to remember that current is their worst enemy. On one hand you think, what a complete retard, and on the other you just hope they are okay. I live by a couple ponds and every year I see guys on the ice and hope they have nine lives. They need to use common sense. And If your just starting out, ask someone or get on a site like this and get the proper info for the conditions. Last year I saw a father taking his son and his daughter out on the ice for the first time, I was checking the ice myself. After checking the ice earlier I suggested that he tried another spot and gave him directions to the location. His response..."oh we are not going out that far"  He fell through 2" about an hour later. Thank God his kids didnt.
No, I mean I REALLY REALLY LOVE TO FISH!!!

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Someone else fell through in mass. yesterday. I think it was at potoosuc. The man said that the spring had shifted a little since last year. He is okay but the same thing flags were flying.

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:12 AM »
My brother was on the call, when they pulled him out he did have two flags. All his gear is still out on the ice.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:41 AM »

When we saw the news story I said to my wife, man that sucks.. he has a flag.. my wife said "only you would have noticed that"... so now I can tell her I wasn't the only one!..glad it all turned out o,k, for him!...Bob...

Offline Woods Wise

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:00 AM »
When we saw the news story I said to my wife, man that sucks.. he has a flag.. my wife said "only you would have noticed that"... so now I can tell her I wasn't the only one!..glad it all turned out o,k, for him!...Bob...
The flag was the first thing I noticed too!  ;D :tipup:

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:00 AM »
My brother was on the call, when they pulled him out he did have two flags. All his gear is still out on the ice.

(Image removed from quote.)

Man that looks Cold.  Sure glad he's OK

Offline lives2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Thats how you know you thrive on fishing

Offline fishing24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beats the hell outa sittin home
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:58 AM »
My first hand knowledge of ice fishing turned ice swimming i can say without a doubt that it sucks and there is no more unnerving feeling then the sound of the ice giving way and then being under water you pop up and then realize this is bad then it go worse the ice just kept braking as i tried to get out after a short struggle i was out a home owner saw me go in and when i was out he called over to his House and propped me up at the fireplace gave me some dry cloths i was with Friends and my daughter I'm thankful she was in the shanty and did not see me go in Friends gathered my stuff then on the way to get dry a D E P officer was heading out and asked me for my licence i was not happy at that point and that didn't work out to well for him either after a few choice words we came to a agreement its not the idiot that goes in I'm a seasoned veteran with lots of experience just found a spring no one knew was there so remember that it can be you in that hole but that hasn't stopped from getting out it happens so always be ready and hope you all stay dry

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:11 PM »
that ice looks scary! im wondering if he was running to get that flag and went in. any way thats why everbody should have ice piks around there neck, it may have helped him if he kept at it. I hope everybody uses common sense these days. Ill have my piks on tom. nite for sure!

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:09 AM »
Gotta have those picks with you

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Gotta have those picks with you

I've been through and am very lucky to be here. I made it out all on my own, a definite learning experience. This time of year, I never go without picks. A throw rope with a float is always in the sled as well.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:51 AM »
i got 50feet of rope with a lobster bouy on end, one end on me other with the bouy is dragging behind me when im first out there withiffy ice, picks are always there also, i have a set and the person who comes with me will have a set also. or if i leave on in the truck i have a second one available
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:08 AM »
i use three diff sleds for diff. occasions the all have long  pull ropes on them my never tested theory is i could slide my sled to whomever and try to drag them out luckily i never put it to use.  I'm thinking that would work. hopefully i never test the theory.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.