Author Topic: Hillsound trail crampon pro  (Read 6655 times)

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hillsound trail crampon pro
« on: Jan 02, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Has anybody tried these?  They have an anti snowballing plate front and back.  Looks like very easy on and off, ratchet strap. I am thinking of trying these with some muck arctic pros.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hillsound trail crampon pro
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:38 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349494.0 review here.

Thanks for the link.  I went ahead and ordered the pro's in xl.  When I was out last week with my max stabilicers I was slipping and sliding everywhere on the glare ice. I'm hoping the hillsounds give me better traction. Was able to find the updated version of them. They got rid of the allen head screw for length adjustment for some kind of spring and pin in the hole adjustment. I should be able to get out this next week and see how they do.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:13 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I went ahead and ordered the pro's in xl.  When I was out last week with my max stabilicers I was slipping and sliding everywhere on the glare ice. I'm hoping the hillsounds give me better traction. Was able to find the updated version of them. They got rid of the allen head screw for length adjustment for some kind of spring and pin in the hole adjustment. I should be able to get out this next week and see how they do.

The new one, nice!

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:39 PM »
I thought I would post some pics of the hillsound trail pro crampons.  I just got them in the mail today. I ordered them from Backcountry Edge online.  Great service, ordered them thursday evening and got them monday with usps.  First impressions of these things are they are awesome.  I had the maxx stabilicers that had the hex head screws attached to a vibram sole.  They worked okay last year with some snow on the ice.  Last week I was up at antero and 11 mile which were bare ice and they were slipping and sliding.  I didn't fall but sure came close a few times.  I haven't had a chance to try these on ice yet, but I can't imagine them slipping to much.

Here they are:

The model I got, the 2017/2018 version, had a spring loaded locking pin for length adjustment. No allen head screws to loosen up like the old ones.

The front has a couple of shorter spikes out at an angle which should work great when pushing of with your toes to get the sled moving.

The rear 2 spikes are turned 90 degrees which I hope will prevent your feet slipping out from under you and hitting your head.

They go on very easy.  Just slide the strap in to the ratcheting buckle until it just starts and then use the ratchet to snug up the strap.

The ratchet handle has a pull on it that was easy to work even when I tried it with gloves on.

The toe and heel plates have a convex shaped pliable plastic that is supposed to flex and remove any built up snow while walking.

What I liked about them is the adjust ability of the crampons. I was able to get the toe and heel cup to fit my muck arctic pros perfectly. Which makes for the boots to easily step out of them when you undo the straps.

When you are done the slide bar slides forward to collapse the crampons to give them a smaller footprint for storage. You don't have to move the locking pin to collapse them.  That way you just slide the front plate forward on the slide bar until it hits the stop and you are at the same length that you had them set at.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:22 PM »
These are looking pretty sweeeeet!  ;D They're about 1/2 the price of my Kahtoola KTS's. Some what more plastic than the KTS's but plastics these days are pretty damn tough! I really like the built in snow plates/skins. A lot handier than the separate ones for my Kahtoolas.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:46 PM »
I have been using the hillsounds now for the last 3 days. Two lakes were bare ice and they have absolute zereo slippage.  I can't get them to slip even when I really try. The third lake had a couple of inches of snow and I did a lot of walking and no snow built up so I guess the pads work. I am very happy with the crampons and highly recommend them.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:44 PM »
I have been using the hillsounds now for the last 3 days. Two lakes were bare ice and they have absolute zereo slippage.  I can't get them to slip even when I really try. The third lake had a couple of inches of snow and I did a lot of walking and no snow built up so I guess the pads work. I am very happy with the crampons and highly recommend them.

What size Arctic Pros are you putting the XL’s on? I have size 10’s and am wondering if the XL’s would be a good fit.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:54 PM »
My arctic pro's are size 11.  But the xl crampons should fit 10's fine.  When I called and talked to hillsound I told them I would be going with either size 10 or 11's in the arctic pros they recommended the XL size.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:41 PM »
My arctic pro's are size 11.  But the xl crampons should fit 10's fine.  When I called and talked to hillsound I told them I would be going with either size 10 or 11's in the arctic pros they recommended the XL size.

Thank you for the info Mike. Going to order a pair tomorrow.

Tom

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Let me know how you like them. They are the best all round crampons I have worn.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Those look great.  If I have one more kahtoola break next season I'm trying those puppies :tipup:

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2018, 04:58 PM »
They do look pretty nice and by design should be easy on and off which gives them a positive as compared to kahtoola. The plastic is a big detraction in my opinion. Too bad they didn't make those parts out of stainless. Still I think the Kahtoolas are hard to beat and will remain my choice.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2021, 03:29 PM »
YakTrax Summit look nice. But dang, they are $85. Don't know if they will fit over Cabela's pac boots.

jbird68

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2023, 08:53 PM »
Just a 5 year update on the hillsound trail crampon. They are still going strong. Everybody was worried about the plastic sole piece, but no need to worry. I have climbed over boulders, lots of 3" and 4" rocks and the plastic has held up well. They are by far the best crampons I have ever had. I lived in alaska for 35 years, I have tried just about every kind of traction devices and these are the best for ice. Now, don't go walking inside on hardwood or laminate floors as these are very aggressive. But on ice, I don't think it is possible to slip with these, even on an icy slope. I am very happy with my purchase.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2023, 01:17 PM »
has it been five years already?!!!

I am still using mine too.  It has not failed. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.