Author Topic: Chassell Bay revisited.... again!  (Read 1243 times)

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Chassell Bay revisited.... again!
« on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:20 AM »
Some of your were nice enough to respond earlier in the week with details on the ice conditions on Chassell Bay.  I was supposed to take some visiting friends there to fish this weekend, but because of the weather, they never made the trip up here.  I imagine the rain and warm weather had a negative affect on the bay's ice.  How bad is it?  I want to go out this week with my Argo and tow my permanent shanty out.  Been dying to fish on Lake Superior, where I usually set up my shanty, but that isn't happening.  Is it still safe?  Looking to go straight out from the boat launch, about 3/4 of the way to the far shore.

Offline IceFishNChill

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chassell Bay revisited.... again!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:11 AM »
mjbuck -

The ice conditions are still safe on Chassell Bay--- was out all day yesterday along with lots of others. Saw a couple cracks between boat launch and North side of Pike Bay, but they were pretty small < 1" and the ice is still very solid and 12+ inches.  The biggest challenge I saw was that there is about 1-2 inches of water/slush on the surface of the ice in spots due to the rain. So a permanent shanty may not be the best idea unless you want it frozen in for the winter. Saw only a few permanent ones out there at this point, though still lots of portables. All of the sleds/quads I saw running yesterday sounded rougher than normal when they were trying to move through the puddles/slush.

As we are expecting a few more days of warm weather this week, not sure how the surface conditions will be.  However, I would not expect the ice to melt to unsafe conditions before our freeze this coming weekend.

Happy Fishing!

Best,
-ice

Offline mjbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:14 AM »
IchFishNChill..... thank you for taking the time to update the conditions for me.  Appreciate it.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:13 PM »
I wouldn't say the ice is safe bc no ice should really be considered safe ice. Yes there is permanents on the ice now and some vehicle traffic but I would still be very careful. I was out on Sun as well and while for the most part there is some good ice but these conditions would still make me question taking something with a decent amount of weight out there. If you check other websites many vehicles in other states going through the ice right now. Just be careful and stay safe.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline IceFishNChill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Couldn't agree more BowHunter1527 ...  safety and caution first!

Quick update on the ice ...  went out yesterday evening (Tuesday) again and the ice conditions are still the same.  Pretty solid and the slush has even subsided a bit.  Should be great fishing conditions for the rest of the week.

Best,
-ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.