Author Topic: Goegebic help?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
Goegebic help?
« on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Always wanted to ice fish Goegebic, this weekend is my first shot.  Planning on staying a night or two.  Would like to get perch and walleye , planning on bringing blue & emerald shiners for jigging and tip ups.

Any lure, general lake portions to target, or accommodation recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.

PM if more comfortable.

Thanks!
Rule #1:  Never tell your story first.

Offline PENTAX

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Goegebic help?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:11 PM »
If you want perch hit the mud flats with wigglers,a vex and light line.Throw out a couple tip ups with the minnows for walleyes.Perch there are different.I have fished all over and those perch are lazy unaggressive bait robbers.You will see what I mean. Good luck!

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:26 PM »
Thanks for the wiggler tip! That's good advice.  Prepared to be frustrated :-)

Offline DH510

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Have a cabin not far from gogebic but if had to stay there i would check out the walleye lodge. We stopped there for bait and the owner was really nice, helpful too. This was the end of august, someone up there might know of better place. The hoop n holler is a cool bar to check out with good chicken wing special on fridays.

Offline 5galbucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Thanks for the tips, DH510

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Went last year, wish I was going this year. The weather goofed us up last year but Berglund Bay is your best all around bet. Its a more concentrated area to cover. The rest of the Lake is HUGE, if you spend two days in the bay you should find fish!
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:47 PM »
How is the ice on Gogebic? R ya able to drive on it or sled only? Making 1st trip up there n less than 2 wks. Perch going yet?

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 PM »
The perch bite has been hit and miss with all of these cold fronts passing through the last couple of weeks.  No vehicles on Gogebic.  The ice is 18"-20", but there is a lot of snow on the lake right now.  Be prepared to encounter some deep slush pockets, especially in the heavily fished areas and the north end.  I would recommend snowmobile access only, and you better have a machine with some power to blast through the deep powder and slush pockets you will most likely encounter.
[img]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teamU.gif[img]

Offline downriverbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:38 PM »
The perch can be tough as others have said, wigglers are a must.  Light line is also a must, also spring bobbers, and a Vexilar.  Tail hook your wigglers, so they swim like heck when a perch comes in.  If you have a fish come in(shows up on Vexilar) and your wiggler not swimming change them.   Perch over 2 lbs is somewhat common.  I have had decent luck catching walleye on tip-ups, even have caught a fair amount of large perch on tip-ups.

Talk to Gus at Maple Ridge just west of Bergland, tell him Bob sent you.

http://www.mapleridgemotel.com/Current%20Updates.htm

As other said the best and sometime the only way to get around is a sled and stay on the packed down well traveled areas.  I saw four wheelers and Argos get stuck in slush last year.
“If our father had had his way, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.”

Norman Maclean

Offline gladstoned

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:46 PM »
^^^ Nice perch!!

We took a 4 wheeler a few weeks ago and we just about got screwed too.
We stayed at the north end as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.