Author Topic: Western UP Changing Ice Conditions..Please respond  (Read 1031 times)

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
Western UP Changing Ice Conditions..Please respond
« on: Mar 14, 2010, 09:43 AM »
With the weather we've had in the west UP lately, I'm curious how exactly it changes the ice.   At what point would ice become unfishable?  Are there tell-tale signs to look for which indicates poor late season ice?  Maybe someone could use specific lakes as an example to describe the process??

Any info is appreciated as I'm still relatively new to ice fishing and don't want to end up on shakey ice.  Thanks!

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Western UP Changing Ice Conditions..Please respond
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2010, 12:00 PM »
normally this time of year on inland lakes the ice will usually get bad by the shore first.    buy a ice spud  and take a poke...if the spud doesnt go through  keep on walking

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2010, 07:43 PM »
if it gets real soft and kinda sound hollow get out on your same tracks

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2010, 06:45 AM »
I can usually tell the ice is soft when it only takes 3 turns to auger through 24" of ice :o I was out fishing yesterday and there was still 12-14" of solid ice, quite a few sleds and quads running around.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2010, 11:20 AM »
If you are at all familiar with the body of water that you are fishing it helps too. Areas with current are usually bad earlier than where the water is still. An example I will give is on Chassell Bay. A few years ago I went out toward the end of the season. I was fishing on the south side of the point that seperates the bay from the main lake. When I drilled the first few holes there was around 3' of ice. I walked about 50 yards further down the point and my auger cut the hole almost immediately. The ice was only 6" or less there. The current from the cut from the Sturgeon River was eddying around that area and the warmer water coming in from the river was eroding the ice underneath the surface. If you have lived by, or at least looked at, a lake over a number of years you will recognize a pattern where the lake usually opens up in the same places first every spring.
And somebody mentioned checking with a spud: this is a good idea but it isn't infallible. I followed somebody else onto Keweenaw Bay a few years ago. I was checking every few feet with the spud and still dropped through the ice even though the spud didn't indicate any trouble. Be careful and stay safe! The fish aren't worth drowning over.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2010, 08:53 PM »
early ice.... ill take my chances to fish!     late ice...   theres way to many steelhead to catch in the rivers so i say heck with even risking it!

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  A few days ago I put away my ice gear and pulled out all my open-water gear.  I'm ready for the steelhead!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.