Author Topic: TORCH LAKE...... HOUGHTON COUNTY  (Read 2495 times)

Offline MeStevieB

• IceShanty Rookie
TORCH LAKE...... HOUGHTON COUNTY
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Hello, I was hoping that some one could help me out on any INFO. on this lake for ice fishing and what they catch if anything on the ice, which area is better than others. Planning on heading up to see my brother-in-law for a week in the last part of Feb. and did not know if to seek new area or maybe go to where I am more at home. Thank you for any help you can throw my way.

Offline Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
Re: TORCH LAKE...... HOUGHTON COUNTY
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:11 AM »
Never fished torch but I used to fish out of Chassel quite a bit when I was at Tech. Two good areas out there: Narrows and the humps.

Narrows is not a bad walk but its a pain to walk out to the humps if there is lots of snow. Anyway head off to the left fro the boat launch and follow the pack!

http://www.oceangrafix.com/o.g/Charts/chartViewer.html?viewRegion=GreatLakes&viewChart=Keweenaw-WaterwayTorch-Lake-HancockHoughton

Lake map

-Bob

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Have fished off shore on torch in the summer and caught some nice sized pike.  Haven't spent much time out on the ice though.  Have you fished torch before?  Would you be staying on the lake somewhere or would you be driving to whichever spot you chose?

Offline MeStevieB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Thanks for the Info. on the narrows and humps, cant wait to see some new area. Have never been on Torch Lake, but like all lakes someone looks at on a map, always looks more exciting once you step out on the that stretch of ice looking for that one sweet spot.
Thanks again for the help........

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:51 PM »
Now that I think of it I did ice fish off the dreamland dock one time (not sure if you know where this is).  Caught one pike.  Just an FYI, within a 10 foot distance the water depth went from ~10 FOW to ~1 FOW.  I found this out the hard way and dug my hand auger into gravel A >:(  Are you looking to get into the walleye? Or whatever is biting?

Offline MeStevieB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Just looking for anything that might want a little snack on the end of my line  ::) It is always fun looking at a map and wondering what the area is like and what it might hold, kinda like up in a tree stand and wondering what might walk by only this is hoping what might swim by wants to BITE. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.