Author Topic: whats the cost of living up there?  (Read 5502 times)

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • THANK GOD THE OL' LADY FISHS :-)
whats the cost of living up there?
« on: Aug 21, 2008, 05:46 PM »
hey everyone....i'm from upper michigan and am thinking about moving up that way. wondering what the cost of living is rent, food, house prices, etc.

i want to be far away from people i'm so sick of assholes and idiots i just need to be alone.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: whats the cost of living up there?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Not cheap >:(

Gas is 60 cents higher than the lower 48 right now, milk is 3.99 a gallon

Cost of Living

cost of Living

Fairbanks chamber of Commerce

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2008, 09:18 PM »
that's not all that bad fishin fireman, i pay 1200 a mo. to rent and if that's not bad enough, i pay $400 a mo. for gas heat. the taxes here are completely ridiculous. now my wheels are turning again.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline ESCANABAJOSH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • THANK GOD THE OL' LADY FISHS :-)
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:30 AM »
i make 9.50 a hour 40 hrs a week (sept this week,called in today) and i pay 400 a month everything included minus cable and internet ( 80 bucks) but i do got one of the best deals in town...most house go for 500-600 and heat is a lot from what i hear.....the ol lady said no way in hell she's moving up there, she said if i feal the need to feal free and go!  so i guess i'm staying where i'm at  >:(   

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Not cheap >:(

Gas is 60 cents higher than the lower 48 right now, milk is 3.99 a gallon

Cost of Living

cost of Living

Fairbanks chamber of Commerce
LMOA milk is just as cheep in alaska as it is in wisconsin and we are the ones that produce alot of it.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2008, 10:05 AM »
And how much is gas up there? (right now that is)
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:08 AM »
michigan isnt a bad place to live if you actually have a job right now...jobs are getting slim...if I lose mine Im going to move out west somewhere...hopefully like north dakota or alaska!!! North Slope work here I come!!!!

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:18 AM »
dabber-doo

Anchorage unleaded $4.30
Fairbanks   unleaded $4.31
#2 heating oil is just under $4.00 a gallon, hurts when you have to heat for 9 months or more per year.

Those are the cheapest available, prices vary upwards once you get out of big population areas.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2008, 12:12 AM »
michigan isnt a bad place to live if you actually have a job right now...jobs are getting slim...if I lose mine Im going to move out west somewhere...hopefully like north dakota or alaska!!! North Slope work here I come!!!!

userx: no offense, but i dont think people who live in the lower 48 deserve a slope job.  in fact, i believe that if you dont have family or ties here, or werent born here, that you should stay away from Alaska. Alaskans should be the ones to get the slope jobs, not tourists. just my 2 cents
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline MNViking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:18 AM »
   userx: no offense, but i dont think people who live in the lower 48 deserve a slope job.  in fact, i believe that if you dont have family or ties here, or werent born here, that you should stay away from Alaska. Alaskans should be the ones to get the slope jobs, not tourists. just my 2 cents

Sometimes the gist of a post is lost in the internet; are you serious????

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2008, 01:28 AM »
The jobs on the slope, construction jobs and the good paying jobs are a source of contention up here.  Many companies hire out of state companies and out of state workers to come up here and do the good jobs and then they take the money and run.  When you live up here and put up with the conditions up here you want the good jobs to go to the people that live here.  I know it has to be the same in most remote areas.  I even heard them saying almost the same thing on "Ice Road Truckers" a couple of weeks ago.  Just like if you're a union guy and they hire a bunch of non union people you'll have your opinions about it.  But I know this is a icefishing website and not a place for pushing political/economic/religious beliefs.  I also know if you'll came up here for work, you would fall in love with the natural beauty of the state and stay here.  We also have the longest U.S. (Canada should have just as long) icefishing season out there and many of those jobs are summer only. ;D ;D ;D
Travis

Offline MNViking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:31 AM »
I agree this is an ice fishing forum and I'll not get into it.

What's really important is on October 23, 2008 I arrive in my new home in Anchorage. Just in time to get ready for ice fishing!!!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:39 AM »
i have to say though, i am a carpenter by trade (none union) and if i could land a job definitely i would be there but not just for the work. i am an avid nature enthusiast and it would have to be a permanent arrangement. Alaska is one of my dreams, and just like you stated ,the beauty of Alaska - it would be my most important reason for being there.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 26, 2008, 09:34 AM »

You know that really does offend me. If that is what you truely believe then short of you being a TRUE native alaskan then, you yourself shouldnt be there considering its like 90% of the people in alaska where transplanted to there during the gold rush. Alaska isnt a geographical oddity and under any speical regulations for work. If there is someone with more experience and is better at the job he should get the job no matter where it is. The fact of the matter that they hire out of state must say quite a bit about the workers in alaska. I to agree with mike I would move there should I decide to go to work on the slope...and also short of all of us "Staying Away" from alaska. Im sure that all of the milk producers and all of the commidities that you guys get SHIPPED up to alaska helps you guys get along anyways...so seeings how thats making about no sense then you can go right on back to riding dog sleds and hunting seals.

Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:41 PM »
I agree this is an ice fishing forum and I'll not get into it.

What's really important is on October 23, 2008 I arrive in my new home in Anchorage. Just in time to get ready for ice fishing!!!
I hope you enjoy your new home in our great state.
UserX I hope you didn't take what I said wrong.  I was just trying to explain a little the general thoughts by some up here.  As for me I welcome almost everyone up here (all shanty members are more than welcome).  The ones that can stay down there are the gang members (Fairbanks has started to have a couple of gang shootings lately).  Imagine that gangs in the great white north.
Travis

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 27, 2008, 07:21 AM »
Travis I think you were in the right with what you said..It was a good explaination. :tipup:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #16 on: Aug 27, 2008, 04:49 PM »
gangs are everywhere now,everywhere!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2008, 12:46 PM »
  Well said Travis, you hit the nail squarely on the head, I would encourage all that move to Alaska to make sure you have a job before you come, hit the internet, make some calls but don't come up here cold turkey, Alaska of all places is not where you want to be without some income.  :tipup:
Bob

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2008, 01:45 AM »
My idea of an Alaskan Street Gang.  Were it up to me I would turn these guys loose on the streets of Anchorage.  Lets see those Glock toting gangs take on these guys for awhile.

"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2008, 04:45 AM »
hey everyone....i'm from upper michigan and am thinking about moving up that way. wondering what the cost of living is rent, food, house prices, etc.

i want to be far away from people i'm so sick of **censored**s and idiots i just need to be alone.

Its costs tons to live here. This place really aint that great. Michigan is a better place that here. I would just stay there if i was you..... ;D

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2008, 08:06 AM »
"slope" jobs just don't occur in Alaska. Everywhere around here and alot of other places in this country the ethanol plants and bio diesel plants are going up, and 99% of the workers building them are from out of state. People move around for jobs all the time, have for a long time, get over it.

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 21, 2008, 12:52 AM »
hey great picture. sow with 2 year old triplets?  had a great chance to kill a nice griz down on the KP a couple weeks ago, but season was closed till oct 1. only 100 yards and not scared of us at all, less than 150 yards from seward highway by moose pass. 75 yards from a big kids trampoline and house. asked the homeowner about it and he said he gets em all day long thru there. but wants to abide by laws, which is fine, but damn fine chance for a great griz rug! decent pics though and some video footage.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #22 on: Sep 21, 2008, 11:38 AM »
"slope" jobs just don't occur in Alaska. Everywhere around here and alot of other places in this country the ethanol plants and bio diesel plants are going up, and 99% of the workers building them are from out of state. People move around for jobs all the time, have for a long time, get over it.

couldnt agree more.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2008, 10:11 PM »
My wife grew up in Wasilla, then Eagle River, and they moved away because it was so hard to find work. Ended up in florida, not enough money there so went to NY to crazy there so then ended up in Massachusetts, met me and put a damper on my fishing with rings and 2 wonderful children. Just kidding, she lets me fish and now the kids want to go with me too, so I am a happy guy with two new fishing buddies.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #24 on: Sep 28, 2008, 03:21 PM »
I'll stay here on the island, our gas is $4.30 a gal. and our milk is around $5.00 a gal. Heating oil was $3.60 a gal, but the word hurricane can drive the price up .50ct over night. For electricty I pay around $120.00 a month for 300 kwt. We had a gang once, but we threw his fat butt in jail. :laugh:
Steve

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2008, 03:29 PM »
THE ONE MAN GANG!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2008, 07:31 PM »
THE ONE MAN GANG!!!
We take care of thing before they get out of hand.
Steve

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Hats off to all you guys who live there. I live in Mi. and nobody sticks together. We have great seasons,awsome rivers, good whitetail hunting, but yet your fellow sportsman will steal from you. Ive never been to Alaska but it is the #1 thing on my list of things I want to do before I die. I can only image how breath taking it is. If I make it there soon maybe I can meet up with one of you to help me burn my plane ticket back. Oh and by the way Im not after your job, Im from Michigan, Im used to roman noodles and gang bangers! ;D
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline alaskanrocket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2008, 09:59 PM »
I would just like to say one thing to everyone who wants to move up here and "get away from all the idiots". Believe me there are plenty up here. Also would like to touch on the people who want to come up here and "live off the land" That is the dumbest conjured up fantasies I've ever heard. I was born and lived here all my life. Hunted, Trapped, And fished here all my life. I know. I meet alot of people who say just these things and they just end up going home so do yourself a favor and stay home. Plus, Working up here can be sometimes miserable, I work outside all day, everyday and it sucks. Trying to do anything with you're hands outside when it's -50 below is just not fun. Sorry but I feel like I hear people say "I hate Alaska" everday and my response is "Go back to the states" Just a fair warning. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:04 PM »
Well Rocket, I think you have suppiled some out worlders with some sage advice and I don't think you offended anyone, at least not me, lol   :tipup:
Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.