Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« on: Jan 07, 2006, 02:10 AM »

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: smelt?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:47 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty Dan!  This is the place for ice fishermen...  I remember the post, and I believe he probably got them from a local market or river run caught.  If you have any connections near Anchorage?  Those boys hook up with smelt every spring...   Where do you hail from?  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Hey Dan-
We have a couple smelt-like species here in Alaska. We have true smelt out in Bristol Bay, and maybe up towards the Kuskokwim, and somebody told me you can catch smelt in Seward. A quick call to Seward AFDG would confirm that.
However, most people in southcentral target hooligan (ulachon, candle fish) which run up the Twentymile River south of Anchorage, or you can catch them in droves on the Kenai River too. I've heard they also run up the Susitna, and other rivers as well.
While people out in Bristol Bay jig through the ice for them, they're most easily caught around these parts by dipping with a long-handled, fine mesh net near the mouth of the river. On a good dip you can pick up 20 or more. We use them for bait for all kind of game fish and shell fish, plus they're OK to eat if you don't mind the bones. Herring is a better bait fish for some reason. I think the oil is more potent.
See you up the trail.

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:54 AM »
AkDan:

I have been alternating between hooligan and herring for Northerns and get equal action on both.  However, I miss a lot of fish when using the hooligan.  I don't know if it is because the are really long or what, but my catching percentage is definitely higher with herring.   I hear what you are saying about bigger fish, though.  Have you tried the Minto area.  I heard there are some monsters there. 

We have had some really good hooligan runs on the Big Su the past two years.  We just scoop with our hands right into a cooler. 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2006, 08:40 PM »
AKDan, 
Sounds like your having fun with the pike!  Anyways, what size hook are you using with your setup?  I haven't missed a legitimate strike all year on single 7/0 octopus hooks.  I don't mind giving the hammerhandles some bait now and then, but single hooks are much easier to release fish.  The argument will haunt this site pro and against quick strikes....  quick strikes are really effective at what they do no doubt!!  I'm still not convinced on using them for release purposes. ???  I catch enough 4-5 lb. fish to make me want to release one or three. Quick strikes always make a dang mess while trying to release a fish at -20. ;D
Nails for ballast are not "pike friendly".  I used them in the past and am guilty as sin! :-X  I halted the use of nails years back, having considered the negative effect it had on their digestive tracks.  I haven't tried to pass a nail yet, but I bet it wouldn't be fun!  Then again my wife's cooking has left me pondering whether she puts nails in the spaghetti after a lengthy visit to the throne?? :sick:  There's always a couple that get away to enjoy their meal of herring eh!  No problem in my mind, get fat and multiply!   I'd suggest breaking the air sack on the bait, or placing a split shot just above the hook?  It works without the hassles of nails in the pocket!  :-[  Hope I don't come across in the wrong way? ;)  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.