Author Topic: What's Up With Big Lake  (Read 1051 times)

Offline billdean

• IceShanty Rookie
What's Up With Big Lake
« on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:32 AM »
Been fishing Big lake for a couple of weeks now without any fish to show for my work. I mostly fish the west end. I went out again today and again not even a bite. I fish mostly in the afternoon but in taking to other fisherman they agree it not been good. I have been using Gitzit jigs which in years pasted have done well. I set up in 20 to 30 feet of water as I have in the past and nothing. Today I fished in 15 feet. I am puzzled were are the fish this year. The ice is terrible now and in places you break though about a foot. I live about a block away from the lake and is the only place I really know to fish. Certainly it convenient but I am tired of not catching nothing. Is there any other lakes close by that I might do better in? Oh and this is my first post so hello everyone.

Offline guesak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What's Up With Big Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Big Lake for me is a chance at larger but fewer fish.  It's  one of the last lakes I'd go to actually catch fish if you were with kids for examples.

There are dozens of lakes within minutes of Big Lake that will produce consistent action and some very nice fish.

Start here.  http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSport.region&StockingAreaID=7

Another good publication is.   http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fishing/PDFs/sport/byarea/southcentral/matsulakes.pdf

Most other lakes in the areas allow use of bait if they aren't directly connected to a salmon stream. Drop some cocktail shrimp or single eggs and jig a spoon nearby.

Offline billdean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply. Where do you get cocktail shrimp to fish with, I am retired and get older every day. Which lake would you recommend for easy excess but yet has good fishing.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Big beaver  little beaver

Offline komocazie74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Where do you get cocktail shrimp to fish with

Steve's food boy shud have shrimp

you only live once- take time to enjoy it