Author Topic: Utility trailer for sled?  (Read 20241 times)

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
Utility trailer for sled?
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 04:10 AM »
So I bought my first sled and am now looking for a trailer. Is there a reason I can’t use a utility trailer rather than a snowmobile trailer?  I’m thinking a 5x10 mesh steel. Utility trailers are a lot easier to find and they all have ramps. I also found one with a steel diamond plate floor rather than the mesh floor. Weight capacity shouldn’t be a problem as Everything I’m looking at is rated for 1900lbs or more. I question the steel floor vs wood floor. Would I be fine with a steel floor or would I want to cover it with plywood?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Utility trailer for sled?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2017, 09:58 PM »
No reason you can't use a utility tilt trailer. Personally, I'd put down PT plywood then the glides (or garage door molding from lowes) the other poster mentioned. To help the runners on the skis slide on the trailer, otherwise it will be a PITA. If you can find an old track, screw a portion of it in the center for the track to grip on for traction. The reason I'd use plywood is cause the calcium (salt) used on the road will be peppering the underneath of the sled through the metal grate. Very corrosive stuff IMHO.
A dedicated snowmobile trailer has its pros and cons. Pros are that they are usually aluminum making them lighter and less susceptible to road salt. Many are either enclosed or have some type of salt shield cause it really makes a mess back there. The tires are totally covered by the platform and can't kick up road salt spray.
The cons, the tires are covered by a platform and are a PITA to change on the road. This also makes the bed that much higher and steeper to climb when loading. Also, it is hard as hell to find a 1 place snowmobile trailer around here. Most are 2 place making them almost 8' wide.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2017, 11:19 PM »
If you can afford an enclosed utility trailer (new or used) then you basically have a storage unit and you can build ramps easy/cheap.  A little more money but probably only incrementally and your sled will really appreciate the protection when on the road.  I've had one for years and I use it for storage, camping, fishing and hunting in addition to hauling my new sled and my atv before it. 

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Always helpful people here. I love this site!  I did end up getting a 5x10 utility. Has a ramp and lumber on the floor. I’ll look at adding glides and some kind of track next. Starting out simple and cheap now but will be able to more easily upgrade once I figure what works for me. Here’s what I got to get started for this year.

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2017, 03:31 PM »
I added removable sides to my 5x10 utility trailer to haul my ice fishing gear without getting it filthy. Just gotta build a roll back tonneau cover. Also hauls mulch great !!

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2017, 12:10 AM »
I have a 7x13 that works well. I have room for my otter sled on here when ice fishing. In the fall I use it for my goose hunting trailer. I have put a plywood front and sides on since this pic was taken.

Offline mawaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2017, 10:25 AM »
A few people have mentioned it, but I want to underline: SALT.

I basically ruined my ATV in one trip (11 hours of driving) on salted freeways with my open trailer. It hasn't been the same since. The whole ATV was crusted with salt and 4 years later it's still a rusted, corroded mess.

Get an enclosed trailer or at least put side walls on the exposed one. Also line the floor with $20 of CDX plywood.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Trailer looks great but t would still buy a cover that fits your snowmobile....  JMO..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2017, 03:37 PM »
A few people have mentioned it, but I want to underline: SALT.

I basically ruined my ATV in one trip (11 hours of driving) on salted freeways with my open trailer. It hasn't been the same since. The whole ATV was crusted with salt and 4 years later it's still a rusted, corroded mess.

Get an enclosed trailer or at least put side walls on the exposed one. Also line the floor with $20 of CDX plywood.

Oh ya for sure.  Even covers do very little to keep the salt out.  I'm happy with my enclosed cargo trailer.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:32 AM »
If you want to go real cheap try Harbor Freight or northern tool. I have seen 4x8 trailers for under $250 some assembly required. But they do work 5 years on mine the only problem has been lights

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:50 AM »
I was looking at those also. As long as you dont over load them, they should work fine. The metal is a bit thin. So keep the salt cleaned off or they will probably develope rust  damage rather quickly.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:05 AM »
I have a 5x10 landscaping trailer for years, I love the thing and use it for a lot of stuff. I bought a polaris touring sled this summer and picked it up with my 5x10 trailer and the snowmobile was too long. I had to use the ramp for the snowmobile to get up then remove the ramp because it wouldnt close. So I bought a used snowmobile tilt trailer. You can get some good/cheap deals on craigslist. If your buying it for the main purpose of using it for a snowmobile, I wouldnt. I also like the 2 place snowmobile trailer because you can put all your equipment on the trailer, saves you from lifting it up in your truck. If you are going to go with a landscape trailer buy a larger one than 5x10 and make sure you buy a quality one, some are built really cheap. Mine is probably 20 years old and it is heavy duty. It was bought for the purpose to haul stones for stone wall builds. we beat the heck out of it and way over loaded it but that thing works as good today as it did the day i bought it.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Enclosed keeps the salt off, you can build up wooden sides and attached a tarp in the front to hold out the salt if you can't afford/want a enclosed trailer, but I wouldn't put my sled out with out keeping it sheilded from the salt. GOod luck, Used an open trailer for years before upgrading to enclosed....never go back...... :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Enclosed keeps the salt off, you can build up wooden sides and attached a tarp in the front to hold out the salt if you can't afford/want a enclosed trailer, but I wouldn't put my sled out with out keeping it sheilded from the salt. GOod luck, Used an open trailer for years before upgrading to enclosed....never go back...... :-)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Any trailer will work. I started with a utility trailer, then went to a double skidoo trailer and now have a 6x12 enclosed.
All worked great. I liked the utility and skidoo trailers for their multi-use capability. You can haul wood, dirt etc in a utility, but I truly have no desire to load my enclosed with garbage, dirt gravel or stuff like that.
What I do like about my enclosed trailer is that it acts as my storage for the ATV, fishing gear, auger, flip over shelter etc.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2017, 07:50 AM »
After many utility trailers I went to an enclosed trailer. I haul all my hunting and fishing stuff in it and what I really like is the fact that everything stays clean and dry.

WS

Offline JustLetMeFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2017, 07:43 AM »
I have a 7x13 that works well. I have room for my otter sled on here when ice fishing. In the fall I use it for my goose hunting trailer. I have put a plywood front and sides on since this pic was taken.
(Image removed from quote.)

Do you have a traction mat on the ramp?  I put glides on mine and the mat. I don’t like how I have it right now. Before redoing it, do I need it?

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:29 PM »
I just added two strips of plywood on the ramp, my ramp has  a pretty shallow angle so no need for traction. Just added the plywood to save the runners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.