Author Topic: Aggresive Perch  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
Aggresive Perch
« on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:26 PM »
This one made me laugh. While doing some jigging for pike with a 5 of diamonds spoon. My brother hooked about an 8 inch perch. As we were all laughing and thinking how much of a fluke it was, he lands another minutes later.

I jigged most of the day with all sorts of little jigs and never had more than a couple. I even tried a trout sized 5 of diamonds and didn't get anything. With those 2 fish he also had half a dozen more bites.

I didn't know that perch would hit something that big.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Aggresive Perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:28 PM »
Yup perch will do that its kinda funny when they do. This summer at Black Lake I caught one on a 3/4 ounce spinnerbait fishing fo pike

Offline Mazey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stay On Top!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:02 PM »
Have had 7-8 inch perch inhale all 3 hooks on a #4 treble that was hooked to a 3/4 oz. pimple. Perch can definitely have eyes bigger than their stomachs.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:13 PM »
maybe you should try something bigger for the jumbos ;D  its never happened fishing for perch but i've had it happen fishing for northerns while jigging the old faithful daredevil--whacked a bunch of walleye-go figure ;D ;D :'( :'(

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:16 PM »
I think we all have had perch take a minnow on a tip-up almost as large as it was. And then sometimes they only want a #12 jig or such. I think they will eat anything at times.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:44 PM »
When smaller spoons or jigs don't work, I often rig a large dropper spoon with a 1" pumpkinseed grub on a 1/64 oz. jighead for those types of fish.  You jig it aggressively and they wack the spoon half the time, but the other time they wack the grub.  1 1/2" tubes work well too.  No time for bait, you don't want them to inspect it but react.  You can really ice some jumbos this way.

I once caught a nice yellow perch on the Lower Potomac during a bass tournament on a 1/2 oz. chartreuse buzzbait on my first cast of the morning.  Thought for sure I had boated a keeper largemouth for the weigh in until I saw the yellow and bars... wasn't disappointed though, it was fun and I'll never forget it.  Funny thing, same log, 3 casts later caught a 4 lb. channel cat on the same log... and not a bass on that log all day!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

NAD42

« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:50 PM »
I've caught them on #7 pimples.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:35 PM »
During the summer, I was trolling a Rapala Shad rap for walleyes, caught a perch that was smaller than the Shad rap. They are fiesty critters, and hit some strange things sometimes.

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:40 PM »
I caught a bluegill on a zara spook, now that was one aggresive fish.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

P Gottshall

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:18 PM »
Beat this -

1 in bass on a 4in crankbait.  No idea how, but through the lip.

stupid green carp :>)  A walleye would be smarter than that. . .

Paul

CNY_Tim

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:31 PM »
While fishing Little York my buddy caught a 22" Brown on a 1/4 oz. spinner bait fish for bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.