Author Topic: Ice Shelters and Sonars ????  (Read 3918 times)

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Shelters and Sonars ????
« on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:14 PM »
First of all i would like to thank all of  you who answered my topic i posted named : crappies thru the ice !!!!!! your info was great and it helped alot now i have another question for you guys about shelters and sonars ...i have been doing alot of reading about these two items and would like your opinions since most of you guys have probably tested your fair share of these items out
first question is ... what sonar would you reccommend i am looking at a vexilar ..but not sure what model to get or if there is a better sonar out there on the market

second question is ... ice shelters... i am looking for something that will hold up good and has a  thick material cover and can hold at least two people ...i was looking at the HT polar escape magnum is this a good one to consider or is there any others you can recommend
last question ...this there any other websites like this one that deals with ice fishing ???? or any stores in the northeast ohio or northwest pa or on-line that has a good selection of these items i am looking for ( sonars or shelters or jigs )
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE IF YOU EVER NEED A FISHING REPORT ON PYMATUNING LAKE LET ME KNOW  ... IT'S  RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD FROM ME ... WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP YOU OUT !!!!!!!...FISH ON !!!!!

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re:Ice Shelters and Sonars ????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2003, 07:50 PM »
FISH ON
I'll get lots of grief from the guys on this one, but I'll take a high end LCD any day over a Vex.  Not the $199 units though.  Lowrance X97 has more power, more resolution, more features, and costs about the same as a Vex.  $329 for the unit, $20 for a battery, $30 for a Genz "Ice Box", and $10 for an inexpensive charger comes to about $390.

Alarms, voltage readout, thousands of depth scales, and on and on.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:01 PM »
Take a look at Gander mountian, Id bet the one in Erie PA has a good selection of shelters. I bought a 1 man fish trap last year, and been very happy with it. I think the Fishtrap series have nice features. as for sonar my vote goes to a Vexilar. Ive put an LCD (lowrance) next to a vex on the water, the vex is much faster to display. Just my 2 cents.

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:57 PM »
Sonar:  If you're going mainly for crappies, the vex fl-8 will work fine.  If you plan to target gills, perch, or walleyes any time in the future spend the $ and get the fl-18.  No, there is nothing better on the market.  Not for ice fishing anyway.

Shelters:  I would never buy anything bigger than a solo shelter.  I've got a fish trap myself, but the others are good from what I've seen.  If there's more than one person, you should have multiple shelters so you can split up and cover more water.  The larger shelters are all too heavy and too difficult to move.  If it isn't really easy to move, you won't most times, no matter how lousy the fishing is.  

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2003, 12:23 AM »
go no bigger than a two man (for use with kids).  I love my fish trap.  I'd go with the Vex for sonar, and the FL18 is preferred by most.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2003, 07:00 AM »
Can you use a snowmobile on Pymatuning? Don't get anything you can't tow out alone. My buddy has a Ranger XL Twin and barely uses it, too heavy to pull in snow. I've got the X67C vs Vex debate going on in my head right now. I've been using an old Eagle with good success, even in deep water, so I'm kind of partial to the LCD. Mine has to do double duty for open water too, where I definitely prefer the LCD. Reed's has them for $400 with free shipping, and Thorne Bros. is offering a free boat transducer, with $11.25 shipping. That may be the deciding factor for me.

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2003, 07:42 AM »
Penguin
i don't think you can use a snowmobile on pymatuning !!!!
do alot of you guys on this site fish pymatuning or wilhelm or shenango if so maybe we could put together an ice outing once the ice gets thick and safe enough .. we had one last year on fish erie .com and we had a real good turn out although the conditions were not the best be any means ..lol.. met alot of nice guys from the site and exchanged alot of useful info about ice fishing
let me know what you think of the idea ?????

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:15 AM »
Sonar- check out the shappell 2000. the one I bought has a black canvas covering and room for 2 adults. The canvas is real rugged, and you can stitch it up with fishing line if you happen to get a tear somewhere. I bought it 4 years ago for $200 at a Meijer's store I believe.  Whitey.

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:18 AM »
fish on- my earlier reply was obviously about shelters. i'm not sure where the sonar word came from, I had the kids babbling in my ear at the time. sorry about that........ whitey.

Offline shikepoke

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2003, 10:47 AM »
      Fish On: I have been using a Fish Trap 11 for about seven years now. It is a two man unit & I find much more comfortable than the One man units. I had a Fish Trap 1, used it for one season & found it to be too small for me.
      The Trap 11 only weighs 67 lbs. & is highly portable. I attached a pair of old skis to the plastic runners on the bottom & I can drag it over rocks & dirt without damaging the unit.
       I have used both LCD & the FL18 & in my book the FL18 wins hands down.
        Shikepoke

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2003, 06:04 PM »
Thanks guys for all the help ...really appreciate it

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:32 AM »
Fish-on, Keep us posted about  the conditions at pymatuning ice. I live in Sharon, 35 minutes from the lake, and i'll be at the get-together there. I also fish Shenango often and i'll keep you posted on that lake.

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:16 PM »
Chumster
no problem on the reports from pymatuning lake ..as soon as we get some good ice i will be out there fishing it and i will let you know the conditions , how is shenango for ice fishing ? alot of crappies and gills or perch ? never fished it
hopefully we can get enough people together for an ice outing on either pymatuning , shenango or whilhelm when we get some safe ice , does not matter to we what lake it's on , i just want to catch some fish !!
later
FISH ON

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:40 PM »
I am partial to my Vexilar FL-8  wouldnt hit the ice without it.  I have used an LCD, but it was a cheapy Hummingbird unit...hardly a fair comparison.

For a shelter I bought the Eskimo Grand Caravan last year and I love it.  It pulls easy (just ask my 14 y.o. son  ;D ) has a deep sled to hold lots of gear, sets-up in literally seconds.  I have not used any other type of portable shelter so my view may be slightly scewed.
Rich Ferguson

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2003, 07:10 PM »
I own a Fish Trap but if I was to buy a 2 man right now it would be the Eskimo Quick Flip 2.  I looked at them this weekend and was quite impressed by them.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

martyb

« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2003, 08:59 PM »
I have a QuickFlip III and I really like it.  BUT, I only use it when I can pull it behind the 4-wheeler.  It is pretty heavy once you get all your gear in it.

Vexilar FL8 is a great unit.  I also have a Aqua-Vu that has pretty much eliminated my use of the Vex except in really deep water.  If I had only $250 to spend on electronics it would be the Aqua-Vu hands down...

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2003, 12:26 AM »
Fish ON,
   I live near Erie, and was just in the Gander mountain up there...they don't have all their shanties set up yet, but they usually carry the fish traps, clams and otters.  I personally have an otter cabin (2 man) and it's great except we get a lot more snow up here than you guys do down there, and it's not fun pulling that thing w/ more that 8 inches of snow on top of the ice (often times I'm dealing with 2 feet or more).  But, with that said, I can't imagine any of the heavier built sled/shanties pulling all that well in the slop.
  As far as sonar is concerned I use a vex fl8 and I wouldn't ice fish without it.  With LCD's the image is not in real time as with a flasher...there really is no comparison.  I also have a camera, but I use it mostly as a learning tool and to check out underwater structure...If I had to choose between the vex or the camera....the camera would sit on the shelf at home.
  Hope this helps.

bigh38

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:45 PM »
 ;gota "fishtrap pro" + loveit

jr1014

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2003, 02:19 PM »
check out the frabill twin two man real roomy easy set up nice seats little heavy 90# but not to big of issue for me also everything come with it so add ons dont kill you 399.00

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:28 PM »
Fishtrap guide w/cover, it"s a two man also lite enough for one older man. A little heater works well for heat and cooking. Vex "FL18" it's my choice.  :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2003, 07:41 AM »
I just purchased a HT polar escape magnum...and i love it it has plenty of room and it is not to heavy to pull , thanks for all your input i did alot of research on the internet from all the name of companys you gave me ...i ended up buying it at petersons outdoors in sandy lake , pa ... scott is a great guy to deal with
THANKS AGAIN GUYS !!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.