Author Topic: Cigars While Ice Fishing  (Read 6730 times)

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cigars While Ice Fishing
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Just plain, store bought plastic tip black and milds for me...  Readily available and much easier than a pipe.  I do enjoy a nice cigar but seems like they sit around before I can enjoy them these days...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Ahhhh, the aroma of a good cigar in the morning!  ;)2 Or any other time...

I like my cigars as I like my beer and liquor. Let 'em taste as they are: no honey, no sweet, no berries, coffee or vanilla. Good tobacco, good whiskey and good beer should be unadulterated.

Currently in my humidor(s):

Ghurka Park Avenue – Torpedo
Ghurka 125 Anniversario - Torpedo
Romeo y Julieta Viejo – Robusto and Churchill
Montecristo Platinum – Robusto
Alec Bradley – Robustos
•   Prensado
•   Mundial
•   Connecticut
Oliva Melanio – Toro and Robusto
Ave Maria Immaculata – Torpedo
Rocky Patel -
•   Vintage 1990 – Toro and Figurado
•   The Edge – Torpedo
•   Connecticut – Toro
Black Pearl Oro – Torpedo
Padilla Habana – Robusto
A few other one-offs

And one original H.Upmann Torpedo I’ve been hoarding since 2003, the last of four boxes I bought before they discontinued 'em.  >:(

Did cigarettes in college and quit because I was giving half of 'em away plus I never really liked 'em. Moved to a pipe for a while and got tired of dragging all the paraphernalia and breaking stems. Finally bought my first pack of Muriel Coronellas and the rest is history. That was mid 70's... Hooked up with Thompson for their machine mades weathering the boom and sky high prices of the 80's, had a relationship with JR and now all my business goes to CI.

I usually have a selection of 5 or so on the ice with me. No tellin' what I'll be in the mood for. Plus, I'm not opposed to sharing with the right parties  ;D

Yall's knew I was going to chip in on this eventually, right?

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:50 AM »
Looks like your Humidor has a nice selection esox_xtm.  I used to get down with those Rocky 1990's but recently have been enjoying the 92's.  Glad to see someone who enjoys things how they are such as cigars, beer, bourbon, whiskey. 
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Drew Estate Acid Kuba Deluxe
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:57 AM »
Esox sounds like you are a good fishing partner to have!

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2019, 11:58 AM »
I like the kind that are cut lengthwise- emptied and filled with a similar, yet much different substance.

Now we're talkin

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:06 PM »
On the ice I keep it simple, Acids or Backwoods honey, since they will likely get smashed, wet or chucked when a big gator nails you. Off the ice, I have slightly better taste, dipping into the Cubans a friend brought back for me when on a trade delegation there, or Ghurkas. Love pipe smoking as well, with a good bowl of cherry or Scotland Yard blend, however I find it harder and harder to do anymore since it takes time to do right and enjoy.

But I certainly never leave home without a can of General Mint Snus, and prefer to hit the ice with Redman as well!
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Now we're talkin

Back in the day... I'd give you a run for yer money. Once the kids got trained as Gestapo I just put it all behind me. Not beyond it anymore but not the draw (no pun intended) it once was.

As far as the smokeless, referencing the above comment (and more): I've done a ton of foolish, reckless, dangerous things and smokeless has not been one of them. Ever. Plug, nor leaf, nor dip, nor pouch has ever passed this cheek n gum. Road construction was the hardest. Everyone had a bag of Redman in their back pocket. Nope. Thanks.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:41 AM »
Back in the day... I'd give you a run for yer money.

Back in HS guys were on the Football team, Baseball team, etc. We were on the Bong Team- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Usually start searching for fish with a Nicra Libre.
Once fish are found and catching them I’m burning a Nub .
On the days successful ride home the celebration Rocky Patel Decade is enjoyed .

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Essox has the humidor I always wanted. I was always partial to the Romeo and Juliets. Also loved a custom blended pipe tobacco a shop near me made. When they closed I quit the pipe. Now I choose to bring my daughter out with me, which means the smokes stay whether she's there or not (she hasn't developed an appreciation for the lingering aroma of a well smoked cigar).

I think we also need a whiskey thread (and I am going to start one).
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:06 AM »
Cavendish-based blends pipe tobacco.
I do like the fruit flavored pipe tobaccos: Captain Black Cherry Pipe Tobacco, Golden Harvest Robust,  Lane Limited Black Raspberry.

Most panatellas of good make like
Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo y Julieta
Partagás, Macanudo, Arturo Fuente

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:34 AM »

Most panatellas of good make like
Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo y Julieta
Partagás, Macanudo, Arturo Fuente

With the explosion of boutique bands it's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm a fan of samplers to help sort through the mess without a major inventory investment. Still some really good sticks out there for reasonable (even after CHIP) if you poke around.

Still miss the ol standbys mentioned above  plus H. Upmann, Padron,  Montecristo, Don Diego, Dunhill, La Gloria Cubana, Punch, El Rey del Mundo, Trinidad, probably forgot a couple. Some Cuban only, some non and some both. I know, they're still around but really not once what they were. In some cases, there's a label that as good or better but you're going to pay for that. The rest of the stuff pretty much plays on the label and it's hit or miss.

Cheap smack that I am, I used to keep around 800 or so in varying stages of aging. I'd buy fresh seconds from major manufacturers and store 'em for at least another 6 months before they'd start cycling through the system. Some I'd drag out longer if I really liked 'em or there were good deals to add more. Now, I've got a couple desktop units and my old converted kitchen cabinet (standalone) that is never full any more. Shop the deals on better cigars and leave the aging to the pros. Still a value guy so I'm not torching any $10 and up stuff. Might do something special once or twice a year but otherwise I like to keep the cigar budget in hand.

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Arturo Fuente...  Hard to beat their Hemingway series...

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2019, 10:52 AM »
I prefer something in either vanilla or honey flavor, same goes for my corn cob pipe tobacco. I'm not really stuck on any particular brands.

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2019, 12:11 PM »

I agree very solid stick.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Romeo y Julieta No.2 is my go-to cigar.  They're probably close to $20 each up here so I only smoke 1-2 a year, if that.

I used to enjoy some of the smaller, flavored cigars, Capt Blacks, etc, but our provincial government saw fit to ban flavored tobacco a few years ago. Thank goodness our federal government legalized cannabis!!!
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Nothing beats a big stanky homegrowner followed up by a camel full flavor.... Usually smoke pall malls because im a cheapskate though lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2019, 06:47 PM »
I was lucky enough to work around the world so I had access to real Cubans.

While unpacking my suitcase after a trip to Amsterdam I came across a dozen Romeo y Julieta Churchills that I had inadvertently brought into the US.

Patriot that I am, I knew I had to destroy them.  So I burned them...  ...  ... one at a time...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Back in the days when I smoked{(BC)(Before Cancer)} I always had cigars when out fishing!1 I would buy them by the box and enjoyed the heck out of them!! I had the privilege of smoking Cuban cigars thanks to a buddy whose brother worked in an embassy. It's been over 25 years since I quit smoking and I still miss a good cigar!!! ;)2 :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:22 PM »
   After setting up my tip ups I enjoy a cigar and an IPA while waiting for the flags to begin.  I normally smoke Ghurka. Prize Fighters ,an economical cigar that pleases me and stands up the ice fishing environment. Good cigars dont belong on the ice i believer. Someone mentioned whiskey,  this is my choice.
John

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:24 PM »

Oooops
John

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:32 PM »
A Black Watch, a tradition that started in the 70's, seem to only smoke one while on the ice evenings and nights these days. More of a tradition for passed on friends, but a decent smoke anyway

Offline bassboat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:58 PM »
I figure that either the wind will blow, or the fish gonna bite - and I'll have a hard time keeping her lit. For that reason, I go with one of the yard 'gars: Nic seconds, Diesels or a lower end HC and save the Prensados and Romeos for calmer times.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 07, 2020, 06:54 AM »
A Black Watch, a tradition that started in the 70's, seem to only smoke one while on the ice evenings and nights these days. More of a tradition for passed on friends, but a decent smoke anyway

Wow, there's a memory. Way back, before I knew about handmades and wanted a treat, Black Watch was the go to. I was on Muriel Coronellas in those days but bought a box of BW in 1981 to share in celebration of our first child. Love the Black Watch plaid pattern too. Somewhere later that decade I discovered Thompson cigar and went from their machine mades to my first handmade. Been kinda downhill since.

I was lucky enough to work around the world so I had access to real Cubans.

While unpacking my suitcase after a trip to Amsterdam I came across a dozen Romeo y Julieta Churchills that I had inadvertently brought into the US.

Patriot that I am, I knew I had to destroy them.  So I burned them...  ...  ... one at a time...

I was once gifted a box Cuban of RyJ Churchills. Sat in a lounge at National in D.C. on a weather delay many years ago. That was pre-"non-smoking" laws. Sipped a martini and burned one right there in our nations' Capitol waiting for the all clear. Loved the irony...

"Long story short", as my buddy like to say  ;)2

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 08, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Only two that i care for. One being the Macanudo Portofino with its mellow flavor. Two being CI Legends by Drew Estates (foremly copper label) probably the best infused cigar i have ever tasted.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #56 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:52 AM »
You guys didnt get the email??
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #57 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:01 PM »
There was a little shop in my home town, over 120 years old. Owned and operated by Cuban immigrants. Always had these great cigars made with  "pre-embargo" cuban tobacco. Except sometimes they ran out, but got more in stock in a few days... good stuff

Offline Lakenater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:42 PM »
Back Woods all the way.  @)

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:00 PM »
A buddy and I were smoking backwoods outside a bar one night and another patron commented that they looked like dog turds. So now that's what we call them, dog turds.

I like Acid cigars.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.