The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: One more weekend  (Read 4852 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
One more weekend
« on: Feb 24, 2022, 09:06 AM »
I checked our private lake yesterday after work. Was pleased to see I could still walk onto the ice. It was 10” on Sunday but obviously lost a few inches with the warmup. The sunny side of the lake the shoreline was pretty bad, but where we get on it was only barely pulling away from shore. Tested with spud bar and ice was still solid, although top was beginning to get soft.

Was 43* and dropping yesterday and 21* this morning at 6am, so everything tightened back up.

So I’m confident I’ll be back on the ice this weekend in the Poconos.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: One more weekend
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2022, 09:15 AM »
I think we’ve got quite a bit of ice fishing left.  Somebody posted Belmont and Prompton had 20 inches recently.  Just need nights to get cold enough to compensate for the warmer days.  :thumbsup:

Offline lil maggot

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • What better is there to do in the winter?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2022, 03:06 PM »
I have seen that Kahle Lake (Clarion/Venango counties) still has ok shorelines and ~7 inches of ice. I doubt we are making much, if any, at this point but what is there on most bodies should hold for one last hoo-rah
:icefish:  :icefish:   :icefish:  :icefish:   :icefish: :icefish:

Ice fishing line of fire ENGAGE!

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:50 PM »
You think promised land will be ok for saturday?

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:01 AM »
Fished Mauch Chunk yesterday, no problem getting on or off. Eight inches of black ice, but there were spider holes, so be careful and use that spud bar.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:13 AM »
You think promised land will be ok for saturday?

You should be good. I checked our lake again yesterday and everything tightened back up. I measured 6”+ of ice and Promised Land is usually 2-3” thicker than our lake. Supposed to get down to 14* tonight
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:45 AM »
Thanks! It had 13" last weekend. I hope the roads are driveable.

You should be good. I checked our lake again yesterday and everything tightened back up. I measured 6”+ of ice and Promised Land is usually 2-3” thicker than our lake. Supposed to get down to 14* tonight

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2022, 12:54 PM »
At least one more weekend. Possibly mid March Northeast PA if temps stay cold at night. Fingers crossed.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Had a great day on the ice with some good friends yesterday. Conditions were perfect- shoreline solid and 13” of ice. Had to wade thru a ton of dink perch, but it was well worth the effort!
This private lake is catch and release and sees very little pressure in the winter. Was very fortunate to get the invite!

Our group caught some big bass, crappie, gills, perch and pickerel.

Here are a few examples:

Where's the FISH?!

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2022, 11:01 AM »
That is a heck of a belly on that perch.   :tipup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2022, 07:58 AM »
Yep- it was a pig!  :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2022, 08:05 AM »
Heres to hoping for another weekend of ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Had a great day on the ice with some good friends yesterday. Conditions were perfect- shoreline solid and 13” of ice. Had to wade thru a ton of dink perch, but it was well worth the effort!
This private lake is catch and release and sees very little pressure in the winter. Was very fortunate to get the invite!

Our group caught some big bass, crappie, gills, perch and pickerel.

Here are a few examples:

Nice catch. I love getting on the private lakes I have access to. Sometimes it feels too easy but we need a day like that now and then for all the hard hours spent in public water.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2022, 06:53 PM »
Heres to hoping for another weekend of ice

I think we might be able to squeeze out another one. Was on a Pike County lake today and measured 10.5” and shoreline was tight.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2022, 06:55 PM »
Nice catch. I love getting on the private lakes I have access to. Sometimes it feels too easy but we need a day like that now and then for all the hard hours spent in public water.

Thanks! Yep, every invite I get to a private lake is a real treat!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2022, 11:31 PM »
I hear that about private lakes.  I had access to Lake Wynonah for about 15 years. I pretty much fished there exclusively during that time. Caught many PB fish there over the years.  Most were open water on a boat but some were through the ice.  7 pound Rainbow,  14 inch perch,  a huge smallmouth that went about 7 pounds and a 40 plus inch Pike that I remember. All on tip ups on shiners.  Now I'm back on public water and it is a bit depressing.  I am enjoying meeting new people while I'm out so It is a double edged sword

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:16 AM »
I hear that about private lakes.  I had access to Lake Wynonah for about 15 years. I pretty much fished there exclusively during that time. Caught many PB fish there over the years.  Most were open water on a boat but some were through the ice.  7 pound Rainbow,  14 inch perch,  a huge smallmouth that went about 7 pounds and a 40 plus inch Pike that I remember. All on tip ups on shiners.  Now I'm back on public water and it is a bit depressing.  I am enjoying meeting new people while I'm out so It is a double edged sword
I have access to 1 of the private lakes near bradys. Might be arrowhead. Yet I have not made the trip. & at this point I doubt it will be this year.

Offline jove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2022, 09:14 AM »
Heading to either Belmont or Still Water Dam this weekend, which ever is safer, one last time ! ( maybe two) Good luck everyone, stay safe.

Offline Allyn726

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2022, 12:58 PM »
I think that this is it, the last weekend. At least for us non plank fisherman. The bite has just been getting really good too.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:10 PM »
Heading to either Belmont or Still Water Dam this weekend, which ever is safer, one last time ! ( maybe two) Good luck everyone, stay safe.
I have to ask.  How could you be on this site since 2008 and only have two posts?

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:42 PM »
I have to ask.  How could you be on this site since 2008 and only have two posts?

He forgot his password. ;D

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:56 PM »
This is the last weekend for me for sure. I hope everyone had a good season. Be safe and i hope next season is a bit longer.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2022, 05:52 AM »
So what are some options for good ice in March?  I know Prompton and Belmont in Wayne County are usually good late in the season.  Any others you guys fish this time of year?

Offline saltsburgIce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the Ice!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:06 AM »
I am thinking Black Moshannon St. Park. DCNR website listed 12 inches on the 27th. Is anyone else thinking Blackie this weekend?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:40 AM »
So what are some options for good ice in March?  I know Prompton and Belmont in Wayne County are usually good late in the season.  Any others you guys fish this time of year?

We did Lackawanna lake in the season last year, and had a decent day on bluegills and a couple trout.  Not sure if it is a consistent late season “go to” but the ice was better than some others.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:08 AM »
We did Lackawanna lake in the season last year, and had a decent day on bluegills and a couple trout.  Not sure if it is a consistent late season “go to” but the ice was better than some others.
I’m not to far from there.  If I get a chance I’ll do a drive by and check the conditions.

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:50 AM »
I’m not to far from there.  If I get a chance I’ll do a drive by and check the conditions.

Thank you

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2022, 09:13 AM »
Late ice is usually Belmont, Upper Woods, and/or Duck harbor. We were on Duck harbor late in March a couple (3?) years ago when Promised Land was unfishable (even with a plank) and Duck had 15” and solid shoreline. It’s a different world up there in Wayne Co!   :o
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2022, 01:21 PM »
Is this it with the rain coming?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2022, 06:40 AM »
it's not just the temps and the rain. At this time of year when the sun comes out after this beating, it's going to rot the ice fast. Might be 6-10" of ice, but 6-10" of rotten ice is dangerous.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.