The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Don't be THAT guy................. ;-)  (Read 4212 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Don't be THAT guy................. ;-)
« on: Feb 22, 2022, 11:49 AM »
 So my buddy and I met at one of my favorite lakes yesterday at 7am. He had never ice fished, so he just came along to see what it was all about. We had the whole lake to ourselves so I picked a spot that has been good in the past and I set up 3 JawJackers and set up my flipover to jig a 4th hole. He set up a camp chair nearby to see what I was doing. It was slow fishing, but gave me a chance to show him the ropes and explain a few things.

About 10am a few people started showing up. One guy drags his sled out on the ice and was apparently giving a report to one of his buddies. Was talking loud enough that we could hear everything he said clear across the lake.................. ......and every other word was an F-bomb!  ::)  The funny thing was, except for cell phone, everything was old school. He had a homemade sled that was probably 50 years old, fashioned out of an old Flexible Flyer................ and of course he had an old gas auger that was probably equally as old. At least he stayed on the other side of the lake!

The next guy has his daughter with him and started out on the ice. Well, I must have been in "his spot" because he made a beeline for me and proceeds to cut 2 holes and set up to jig about 60' away from me(and even closer to my JawJackers). Now this lake is 35 acres and there was only one other guy on the entire lake, and this idiot has the stones to set up within spitting distance!  >:( Then I guess he couldn;t hear my music playing(I only had it on loud enough for me and my buddy to hear), so he gets his speaker out and puts on his tunes. Same country tunes as me, but I could barely hear mine because he had his up so loud. Didn't even have the decency to turn the other direction. My buddy asked if this was common, and I said it usually happens at least once a year!  ::)  Oh, and after about 15 min I see him light up a cigarette, but fortunately we were UPWIND, so we didn;t have to breathe his smoke. That would have been the last straw!  >:(

Guess it just rubs me the wrong way when I give people the common courtesy of at least a 100y buffer zone EVEN if they are in my usual spot. I figure if someone is willing to get up early enough to beat me to a spot, then I will leave them alone and not crowd them. Plus I go to the lake to get out in the great outdoors for some relaxation and peace and quiet. Guess some folks just don't "GET IT!"  ::)

OK- end of rant. Just remember ...................... ............DON'T be THAT guy!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Don't be THAT guy................. ;-)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2022, 12:45 PM »
Don’t be what guy? The guy that shows up after you?..

I mean, I honestly don’t see what the problem is here. All you described was a couple guys trying to enjoy their day too. I wouldn’t consider 60’ feet within spitting distance either. I fish a smaller (15 acre) lake and due to its structure and composition, the fish are really only in a 1/3 section of the topography on any given day. Guys around me know this and that’s where holes are drilled. I tend to give others traps some distance though regardless of the lake and have moved lakes entirely due to a couple of guys having a huge spread (I like fishing smaller lakes) but they were there first and aren’t breaking any laws so that doesn’t bother me. If the other guy was blaring the same music you were listening to then chalk that up to free tunes and enjoy it. As far as smoking goes, dudes standing in the middle of a frozen lake. If you can’t smoke there then where can you? I’ve been a smoker for almost 20 years and cigarette smoke is gross and I agree with you but would you really rather be that guy? That complains about people smoking in the middle of a frozen lake? Flip your shack over and watch your traps through a window.

I’d be more concerned with how they left the lake and how many laws they broke while on the lake. If they weren’t pigs and followed state fishing laws, who cares? Let them enjoy themselves too and if you don’t like it, then find a different spot. If you can’t do that, deal with it.

OR, and this idea is so extreme it should be illegal, go over and say hello? I’ve been sitting my frozen butt on a bucket for 30 years and the amount of camaraderie that use to be has diminished drastically. Now, it’s just a bunch of guys that are too busy wanting to “get away from it all” that they forget they live in a town with 1,000 other guys wanting to do the same thing.

Instead of resenting the guy at a 100’ loogy range, start a conversation. If he’s a Richard that’s on him but at least you aren’t sitting all grumpy goose trying to explain to your friend why nobody should come close to “your holes”.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Mine, mine, MINE!!!
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2022, 01:46 PM »
You lost me at 20 yards being too close and enjoying myself a cigarette.  ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Don’t be what guy? The guy that shows up after you?..

I mean, I honestly don’t see what the problem is here. All you described was a couple guys trying to enjoy their day too. I wouldn’t consider 60’ feet within spitting distance either. I fish a smaller (15 acre) lake and due to its structure and composition, the fish are really only in a 1/3 section of the topography on any given day. Guys around me know this and that’s where holes are drilled. I tend to give others traps some distance though regardless of the lake and have moved lakes entirely due to a couple of guys having a huge spread (I like fishing smaller lakes) but they were there first and aren’t breaking any laws so that doesn’t bother me. If the other guy was blaring the same music you were listening to then chalk that up to free tunes and enjoy it. As far as smoking goes, dudes standing in the middle of a frozen lake. If you can’t smoke there then where can you? I’ve been a smoker for almost 20 years and cigarette smoke is gross and I agree with you but would you really rather be that guy? That complains about people smoking in the middle of a frozen lake? Flip your shack over and watch your traps through a window.

I’d be more concerned with how they left the lake and how many laws they broke while on the lake. If they weren’t pigs and followed state fishing laws, who cares? Let them enjoy themselves too and if you don’t like it, then find a different spot. If you can’t do that, deal with it.

OR, and this idea is so extreme it should be illegal, go over and say hello? I’ve been sitting my frozen butt on a bucket for 30 years and the amount of camaraderie that use to be has diminished drastically. Now, it’s just a bunch of guys that are too busy wanting to “get away from it all” that they forget they live in a town with 1,000 other guys wanting to do the same thing.

Instead of resenting the guy at a 100’ loogy range, start a conversation. If he’s a Richard that’s on him but at least you aren’t sitting all grumpy goose trying to explain to your friend why nobody should come close to “your holes”.

Well, first of all we are NOT talking a 15 acre lake here. This one is 35 acres and at the time it had a total of 3 groups of ice fishermen on the entire lake and one of them just had to fish right next to me. AND this is a trout stocked lake that I have fished many times-and when the bite is ON, it doesn’t matter where you are. I have seen people hammer them 15’ off the beach.

Secondly, the guy could have said “Hi”, “How you doing?” Or even asked if I mind if he sets up next to me. I purposely did not say anything just to see what he would say, if anything. He just acted like I wasn’t there. After seeing that, I had no desire to talk to him.

And there is a reason I am a non-smoker. I don’t want to breathe cigarette smoke. Doesn’t matter if I am indoors, outdoors or driving in a car. Believe it or not, I have smelled cigarette smoke from a passing motorist on the highway who was smoking and I had my windows rolled up!  ::)

I usually talk to or at least say “Hi” to anybody I see out on the ice........:.......but certain behavior I just cannot tolerate. Usually I will get up and move, but this time I had my JawJackers set up and we were only going to be there for another hour or so, so we stayed.

Guess I just cannot understand why some folks feel the need to set up right next to someone when they have the entire lake to choose from!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2022, 02:26 PM »
Just cuz its public doesnt make it right to be "that guy"... we got lakes that are thousands of acres and even if you are the only person out there some clown will come park right on top of you.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2022, 02:40 PM »
100 yard buffer zone?  You'd be making lots of rant posts if you lived in Iowa.

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2022, 02:55 PM »
I believe the initial post said 60 feet which is 20 yards.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2022, 03:04 PM »
I said I personally try to give 100y buffer zone.

But it depends on the size of the lake too. I tend to fish the bigger public lakes but I sometimes fish our community’s private lake. I happened to fish it the day before my “incident” on the public lake. And one of the homeowners on the lakefront came out to fish. I said hello and we had a nice conversation. He asked if I mind if he set up near me and I said that was fine. We talked on and off as we fished for over an hour and I had no problem with it. But this is a much smaller private lake. Maybe 10 acres at most- not a lot of room to spread out. So it depends on the situation and the size of lake.

Where's the FISH?!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2022, 03:18 PM »
The country music would turn me off ( I HATE BOTH KINDS COUNTRY AND WESTERN) but I'd invite them to fish with me . This isn't a me me me sport lighten up dude.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2022, 04:50 PM »
The country music would turn me off ( I HATE BOTH KINDS COUNTRY AND WESTERN) but I'd invite them to fish with me . This isn't a me me me sport lighten up dude.

Sorry “dude”..................it’s a pet peeve of mine. I’m the guy that walks a mile into State Game Lands an hour before first light with his climber (treestand) on his back on opening day of rifle deer season. Then has 3 morons walk in at prime time just after daybreak, and set up on the ground 80y from me. Happened this year. All 3 of them had to see me already set up in my tree in florescent Orange from head to toe. And they sat there in front of me within eyesight for over 3 hours until I moved.

So you’ll have to forgive me if I get a little annoyed at people who invade my personal space.

This is my new motto!  ;)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline chapru

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:00 PM »
I’m more in line with RuttNutt. I’ve had guys stop by and we’ve chatted. They’ll ask if they can set up nearby or sometimes if we hit it off I’ll ask them to join me.
  I’ve also had morons who’ve seen me catch fish then crawl to within 30’ of my keister. I’ll shoot them the AH look, and get the FU look in return. That’s when I get my auger and drill a hole 10-20’ closer to them

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:11 PM »

Sorry “dude”..................it’s a pet peeve of mine. I’m the guy that walks a mile into State Game Lands an hour before first light with his climber (treestand) on his back on opening day of rifle deer season. Then has 3 morons walk in at prime time just after daybreak, and set up on the ground 80y from me. Happened this year. All 3 of them had to see me already set up in my tree in florescent Orange from head to toe. And they sat there in front of me within eyesight for over 3 hours until I moved.

So you’ll have to forgive me if I get a little annoyed at people who invade my personal space.

This is my new motto!  ;)

It’s not just ice fishing RuttNutt, it’s everywhere in society.  Civility is dead.  You see it on the streets with road rage.  At sporting events with fans fighting.  It’s the way things are now, and it’s probably going to get worse.  When I’m fishing I try to get as far away from others as possible.  And when they impose on my fishing spot, I move.  It’s not worth arguing with them. 

Offline HooknSinker24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:18 PM »
The MSM and world economic forum has been running a mind control operation for decades. That's the problem . we the people of the sport don't associate or talk enough. Some of the best memories on the ice are meeting new fisherman. God Bless and tightlines.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:27 PM »
You lost me at 20 yards being too close and enjoying myself a cigarette.  ::)
I blame Juwan Howard.   ;D

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2022, 05:50 PM »
I have been that guy. But if im that close ill say how they biting. If im going to a new lake. Ill usually try to fish close to others. I figure they are regulars &  know the good locations. On the other hand if i'm at a lake & people come sit on top of me. I do get preturbed. But im usually friendly towards them. It's the people that are rude & unfriendly. That pi$$ me off. I can see your point of view Ruttnut. Its a gray area. Deer season. Im always the guy walking at day break. I wont sit on top of someone though . I might walk past you. Most years I dont hunt in gun season. Im done by then. Id rather avoid the orange army all together !!!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:06 PM »

That’s a cheap shot Spartan!  ;) ;D

I was thinking the same thing...............bu t had some restraint!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:22 PM »

You actually did pull a Juwan Howard.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2022, 06:35 PM »

I can get away with it because I have a brother who went to MeeeChicken.   :laugh:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:18 PM »
I can get away with it because I have a brother who went to MeeeChicken.   :laugh:

LOL! And I’m guessing you spent some time in East Lansing!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:20 PM »
LOL! And I’m guessing you spent some time in East Lansing!  ;)
Oh, yeah.  And I bust his chops every time we beat their butts!  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Oh, yeah.  And I bust his chops every time we beat their butts!  ;D

I’m sure!  ;D My mom was a Buckeye and my Uncle was a Wolverine, so I can relate!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Crappie-addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:31 PM »
Yeah sorry but this kind of mentality bothers me. You don't own the lake dude, public waters means anyone can fish there. 60 feet isn't even that close, ill bet youve never fished in some of the shanty towns in states where ice fishing is more popular. Imagine you drove hours plus, have only 1 day to fish that week, and someone is in the prime spot on the lake (often with a huge tip up spread, especially in PA where u can fish 5 lines and people tend to bring out the whole family). You expect that person to give you a football fields length?

And considering by how you were judging the other guy who was swearing too much for your liking, and the whole tone of this post, you really need to relax my dude.

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:46 PM »
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: awesome

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:49 PM »
I’m sure!  ;D My mom was a Buckeye and my Uncle was a Wolverine, so I can relate!  ;)
OMG….your Thanksgiving meals must have been something!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2022, 08:02 PM »
Yeah sorry but this kind of mentality bothers me. You don't own the lake dude, public waters means anyone can fish there. 60 feet isn't even that close, ill bet youve never fished in some of the shanty towns in states where ice fishing is more popular. Imagine you drove hours plus, have only 1 day to fish that week, and someone is in the prime spot on the lake (often with a huge tip up spread, especially in PA where u can fish 5 lines and people tend to bring out the whole family). You expect that person to give you a football fields length?

And considering by how you were judging the other guy who was swearing too much for your liking, and the whole tone of this post, you really need to relax my dude.

I don’t expect anyone to give me that much space. I said that’s what I try to give to others

I fish in PA and even if I was in Wisconsin or Minnesota I wouldn’t go anywhere near those “shanty towns!”  Not my idea of a good time. I go out on the ice to get away from it all! I work in a city but drive almost an hour to work every day so I don’t have to LIVE anywhere near one.  ;) 

And when I use my JawJackers I keep them close so I am not taking up a large area. I consider this common courtesy. Like talking in a normal tone of voice and refraining from using explicit language when out in public-especially when kids are present. But like others have stated, that doesn’t seem to matter anymore!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2022, 08:10 PM »
OMG….your Thanksgiving meals must have been something!

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July.............  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2022, 08:21 PM »
Ice is not the only thing getting thin. Holy smoke. lol

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2022, 08:22 PM »
This should have just been a continuation of the What Makes You Grumpy thread.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.