The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas augers  (Read 7513 times)

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gas augers
« Reply #90 on: Feb 24, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Just for ease of use, I’ll never go back to a gas auger. Glad when I was able to afford an electric one. I actually sold my gas auger and went back to a hand model to cut down on smell and weight. Glad I did.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Feb 24, 2022, 11:45 AM »
I threw some M80's into the water once, pretty sure they heard that, 'cuz they all floated to the surface to see what happened... ;)

…and I thought I was the only one who did that!  ::)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 24, 2022, 12:48 PM »
I drill 10 inch holes and alot of them on big water, friend had an ION G2 6 inch, maxed out at 27 holes , 12 inches of ice. My old jiffy is unlimited!

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 24, 2022, 01:54 PM »
As i stated earlier post on this it's a personal choice,I don't drill 27 holes in 12 inches of ice so my almost 10 year old ION works just fine for me its lighter than my old strikemaster lazor mag and after using the ION would never go back to gas.I still have the same 40 volt battery,blades replaced only once,havn'y never not started on first squeeze,have not bought a drop of gas,no 2 stroke oil,no stink anf umes in my hub or shed,no cord to snap on me either. Nuff said made my choice long time ago.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 24, 2022, 02:06 PM »
As i stated earlier post on this it's a personal choice,I don't drill 27 holes in 12 inches of ice so my almost 10 year old ION works just fine for me its lighter than my old strikemaster lazor mag and after using the ION would never go back to gas.I still have the same 40 volt battery,blades replaced only once,havn'y never not started on first squeeze,have not bought a drop of gas,no 2 stroke oil,no stink anf umes in my hub or shed,no cord to snap on me either. Nuff said made my choice long time ago.
Amen. How many holes do you need?  LOL.  My Ion always drills plenty, and faster than a gas auger by far.  It doesn’t  leak fuel mix in my Jeep, doesn’t blast my ears when cutting holes, and starts every time without pulling on a rope 15 times.  There two types of people on the ice: those with electric, and those who will eventually be buying electric.  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Feb 24, 2022, 05:26 PM »
Amen. How many holes do you need?  LOL.  My Ion always drills plenty, and faster than a gas auger by far.  It doesn’t  leak fuel mix in my Jeep, doesn’t blast my ears when cutting holes, and starts every time without pulling on a rope 15 times.  There two types of people on the ice: those with electric, and those who will eventually be buying electric.  ;D

I don’t know about that Spartan............I know some guys that still listen to their 8 trac tapes and 45’s!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 24, 2022, 05:49 PM »
I don’t know about that Spartan............I know some guys that still listen to their 8 trac tapes and 45’s!  ;) ;D
I think I did see a horse and buggy pulling a shanty on Fords Lake recently, but it could have been a snow squall blurring my vision.  :laugh:

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:45 PM »
I don't know about the other Gen 2s but our 10" just blew through 11" last weekend and 8" today. We still had 2 bars left and drilled over 25 holes. The Jiffy was working well but it was time to upgrade, and we now have a Jiffy 30 for sale.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #98 on: Feb 24, 2022, 08:53 PM »

::)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Mar 03, 2022, 10:43 PM »
6 guys at Erie we average  125+ holes a trip. Lot less weight with the electric, but maybe they will keep improving the amp hour capacity on the battery. Just cant go there yet

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Mar 04, 2022, 11:49 AM »
6 guys at Erie we average  125+ holes a trip. Lot less weight with the electric, but maybe they will keep improving the amp hour capacity on the battery. Just cant go there yet

Where and how you fish does have something to do with what kind of auger set-up you need.  I paired a Milwaukee Fuel drill with a Clam plate and my 8" Strikemaster Lazer this year and have been amazed at the results.  Read many posts how an 8-inch auger won't work well with a Clam plate set-up, but it's been great for me.  Then again, I'm fishing in Southwest PA where a foot of ice is a lot anymore and even when I'm moving a lot seldom drill more than 30 holes.  I did drill close to 50 one day in nine inches just to work it out and still had juice in my 5 amp battery with another tucked away in my sled in reserve.  I doubt that I'll ever use the second battery.  I wouldn't want to blow in all the holes for a big group running tip-ups in thick ice though; might not be so good for the drill.  When I do drill a good many holes, they're spaced out over the course of a day. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #101 on: Mar 04, 2022, 01:05 PM »
Drilled about 30 holes in 25" of ice last weekend with my Strikemaster/Honda 4 stroke. Might have used a cup and a half of gas. Started with two short pulls the first time and one pull the rest of the day. Drilled all over a lake until we struck perch.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Mar 04, 2022, 01:22 PM »
That cup and a half of gas maybe by next year will cost you who know maybe more than the drill LOL Just Kiddin!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #103 on: Mar 04, 2022, 01:28 PM »
That cup and a half of gas maybe by next year will cost you who know maybe more than the drill LOL Just Kiddin!!
   ;D I think it takes more gas to start my Triton V10 than my auger burns in a day. Good thing I have good fishing fairly close to me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.