The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Chainsaw  (Read 1548 times)

Offline SteelcityYinzer

• IceShanty Rookie
Chainsaw
« on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:33 AM »
New to ice fishing and living in Pittsburgh area, so ice fishing opportunities will be relatively scarce. Therefore, I’d rather not buy an auger but I do have a lithium battery chainsaw.

Besides draining the chainsaw oil for a more eco friendly one, are there any restrictions on chainsaw usage at state and county lakes?

Offline icecoldchrome

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chainsaw
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:56 AM »
Honestly not 100% sure but I believe that the hole can be no larger than 10inches and I believe that it must be circular  so it's harder for someone's foot to go threw probably best to reach out to a ranger and verify prior to doing so it only takes one guy to cry and next thing you know you are in trouble

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:59 AM »
saw every type of device to drill holes,auger axe hatchet hammer but no chain saws .long as you stay in the legal parameters 12" i see no problem other than you getting wet.it would be wise to ask some one to drill your holes most guys will do it
GOD BLESS YOU
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:00 PM »
They make augers that take drill batteries.
 Expect to get wet using a chainsaw.. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:02 PM »
New to ice fishing and living in Pittsburgh area, so ice fishing opportunities will be relatively scarce. Therefore, I’d rather not buy an auger but I do have a lithium battery chainsaw.

Besides draining the chainsaw oil for a more eco friendly one, are there any restrictions on chainsaw usage at state and county lakes?
by the way if my memory serves me right is it not the skunked monkey on the sled????
GOD BLESS
mo
LOL
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:50 PM »
been cutting ice with chainsaws for years, not ideal but it will work and it's not hard to stay dry doing it.  no bar oil is necessary.

Offline SteelcityYinzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:52 PM »
Yes, ten inches in any one direction is the limit. I’d rather not bother another fisherman for an auger but I would like knowing most folks would like to help out.

It is indeed the skunk monkey! I have yet to try ice fishing but my last three or four outings since October I have been skunked. I’d like to blame the overfished waters in Allegheny county but I’m man enough to accept most of the blame!  ;D

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2022, 01:35 PM »
I would be surprised if you didn't get offered some holes to be drilled after fellow ice anglers saw you trying to use the chainsaw.  I have given fellow fishermen my auger and told them to bring it back when they were done.  Of course, I had my holes drilled already.

Offline Salty Ice Queen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:02 PM »
Yes,..I agree..helping is in book...also,..sometimes you will see other drilled holes from others not in use...could be a help for you...

Offline SteelcityYinzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2022, 05:41 PM »
Thanks, ran7ger and all other replies. I’ll probably go Monday or Tuesday and hopefully be able to use some predrilled holes from the weekend with a spud bar and the chainsaw being a last resort.

Offline namkeng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:13 PM »
I would drill with my lithium auger for anyone who asked. I usually ask guys if I see they have a hatchet or 6" hand auger. Sometimes they take me up. Sometimes they don;t.

I used to knock holes with a hammer and chisel when I was a kid. never saw a chainsaw.

I know they use chainsaws to cut those huge holes out in the midwest for spearing pike.

Sounds dangerous to me. Stay safe buddy

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2022, 07:15 PM »
I get your not wanting to invest a ton...but I'd just keep an eye on Craigslist and fbook marketplace and buy a used cheap hand auger. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2022, 01:20 PM »
saw every type of device to drill holes,auger axe hatchet hammer but no chain saws .long as you stay in the legal parameters 12" i see no problem other than you getting wet.it would be wise to ask some one to drill your holes most guys will do it
GOD BLESS YOU
mo

10"... Not 12". The hole can not be greater than 10" measured in the largest direction.

Get an auger. fer real, get an auger.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2022, 01:37 PM »
I understand that you don't want to spend a lot of money, but you can get a brand-new hand auger on eBay for under $70. I am guessing that almost everyone on here has a hand auger that we bought when we first started ice fishing and now use as a backup. It is just part of the list of things that you need for ice fishing. Can you go fishing without one sure it just makes life a whole lot easier.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:56 AM »
When I first got into ice fishing, I stopped off at a sportsmans warehouse and bought a few HT rods, an HT panfish jig kit, some line and a 6" HT auger. It is a tool that you need for ice fishing in PA. While you're at it, get some safety ice picks, some good creepers and a spud bar. These days, I still use that 6" auger. I have it attached to a clam plate and my Ridgid drill.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2022, 06:57 AM »
I'm gonna go with the crowd here and say buy a hand auger. You can find them pretty reasonable used, or sometimes get a good deal at end of season at local shops. I picked up my last 7" Mora at a spring sale for about $40.

You can (and I have) cut a hole with a chainsaw, but they're really more suited to cutting out big spear holes. Trying to cut a small hole with one would be a pita. Also not sure how much an electric saw would handle that, because they do throw water once you break through.

Offline Nubmnutz32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2022, 07:07 PM »
Going to fallow the group also. Hand augers are light and quicker to drill through the max 10-15” of ice we get here in pa if we are lucky to get that every year.  as longs you keep the blades sharp. It would be money we’ll spent.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2022, 09:27 PM »
Been using my 6" Eskimo for almost 8 years. They're $60 new on Amazon (cheaper back then) keep your blades sharp and it cuts through 8" in less than a minute

Offline optimus140

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:48 PM »
Therefore, I’d rather not buy an auger but I do have a lithium battery chainsaw.

In addition to what others already said. I'm a safety nerd and would be worried about this being a shocking hazard somehow, or shorting out the motor. I don't even know if that's possible but I wouldn't want to risk it. It's not the same as an electric auger that was designed to be safely operated to drill through ice, touching water.

Offline Pa. Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live Life
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2022, 09:38 AM »
Honestly not 100% sure but I believe that the hole can be no larger than 10inches and I believe that it must be circular  so it's harder for someone's foot to go threw probably best to reach out to a ranger and verify prior to doing so it only takes one guy to cry and next thing you know you are in trouble

Great advice
Hail to the Smallmouth

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:09 AM »

10"... Not 12". The hole can not be greater than 10" measured in the largest direction.

Get an auger. fer real, get an auger.
sorry ten"(10)" inch  ;D.thought it was 12" when there are 10" inch augers being used and on a hot day i'm sure the holes expand?
GOD BLESS
mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.