Pennsylvania > Ice Fishing Pennsylvania

Chainsaw

<< < (4/5) > >>

zcm_82:
I'm gonna go with the crowd here and say buy a hand auger. You can find them pretty reasonable used, or sometimes get a good deal at end of season at local shops. I picked up my last 7" Mora at a spring sale for about $40.

You can (and I have) cut a hole with a chainsaw, but they're really more suited to cutting out big spear holes. Trying to cut a small hole with one would be a pita. Also not sure how much an electric saw would handle that, because they do throw water once you break through.

Nubmnutz32:
Going to fallow the group also. Hand augers are light and quicker to drill through the max 10-15” of ice we get here in pa if we are lucky to get that every year.  as longs you keep the blades sharp. It would be money we’ll spent.

ajv5148:
Been using my 6" Eskimo for almost 8 years. They're $60 new on Amazon (cheaper back then) keep your blades sharp and it cuts through 8" in less than a minute

optimus140:

--- Quote from: SteelcityYinzer on Jan 22, 2022, 11:33 AM ---Therefore, I’d rather not buy an auger but I do have a lithium battery chainsaw.

--- End quote ---

In addition to what others already said. I'm a safety nerd and would be worried about this being a shocking hazard somehow, or shorting out the motor. I don't even know if that's possible but I wouldn't want to risk it. It's not the same as an electric auger that was designed to be safely operated to drill through ice, touching water.

Pa. Angler:

--- Quote from: icecoldchrome on Jan 22, 2022, 11:56 AM ---Honestly not 100% sure but I believe that the hole can be no larger than 10inches and I believe that it must be circular  so it's harder for someone's foot to go threw probably best to reach out to a ranger and verify prior to doing so it only takes one guy to cry and next thing you know you are in trouble

--- End quote ---

Great advice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version