Author Topic: paid a visit to Henry co.  (Read 1229 times)

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
paid a visit to Henry co.
« on: Jan 12, 2022, 05:56 PM »
From Indy drove ENE to the State Park.  Most of the lake has some ice but I didn't see anything that looked safe.  It was 47deg at 3:00 and what little ice
there was looked rather sketchy with a fair amount of shore melt  I checked the campground, the main ramp and beaver bay and so no signs of any having been out. I walked out to the end of the piers and the spud went through after just two whacks - about 1.5 inches.  Main lake, as far as I could tell was open and was holding
about 500 canadas.  I left the park and drove to the causway and saw a few guys about 50 yards out from shore but didnt stop to fish.  Hopefully the cold will hold
and in a few days things will improve

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline jr11888

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: paid a visit to Henry co.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:00 PM »
Rivereddy I was there today and your right most of the park is not safe yet but there is some safe ice at the causeway I measured an honest 4" but did not venture far. Bite was very tough also. Good times ahead if it stays cold. 😉

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2022, 06:47 PM »
Spudsed absolute junk just north of you. No fish worth that pucker.
Through too many times!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:07 PM »
Made the same run again today, and if anything, there was more open water on the main body than the other day.
BUT, some of the bays looked bettter and there were several guys out near the causeway. Gonna pay the lake a
call Monday.   Made a detour and ran up to a reservoir near Muncie. Saw a lot of open water.  Saw a couple of guys
in one of the bays..

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline kidd2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:57 PM »
5-6 on the causeway today, mixed bag nothing picture worthy. Didn't move around much, too slick for my clete's

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2022, 07:49 AM »
Where I live, the elevation is just under 800 ft above sea level. The drive to the lake takes a little over an hour and climbs a little over 200 ft to an elevation of 1066 ft.  Its odd, but that 200 and change foot gain in altitude is often the difference butween sketchy junk and safe ice, Yesterday Imade the trip over again.  No one at the campground or beaver bay but a number of guys at the cause way.  The ice was greener than I prefer but the spud bar hits went thump so I headed out to a spot about 90 feet or so away from the nearest angler.  I drilled 3 holes through about 4 1/2 inches of gray green ice and began dunking beemoth. No runs, no hits, my error... In the meantime the fellow 90 feet away, another "dreaded bucket fisherman" was putting the hurt on em.  This went on for an hour or so until I noticed he was closing up shop and getting ready to leave.  Next thing I know, he comes walking over and says, "There still biting over here. Bring your stuff on over." He then gave me a small white over slurple jig like the one he was using.  He left and I moved on over and immediately got hits.  Most were dinks, but they made that bobber dance and, several times a decent bluegill hooked up.  Thanks to that guy, I'm on the board for 2022.

fish on,

Rivereddy

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:29 AM »
ED,
Glad you got out and had some bites! Nice to run into good guys now and then!
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.