The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: DeWalt 20v Max and K-Drill  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Hondo

• IceShanty Rookie
DeWalt 20v Max and K-Drill
« on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:04 PM »
I gave my new DeWalt 20 v Max and K-Drill the first real try last weekend.  I had two, fully charged, nearly new 5 AH batteries with me and there was about 8 inches of hard, clear ice.  It augered through the ice very fast.  I got 8 holes with the 1st battery and the second battery died completely after 2 holes.  That's 64 inches with the first battery and 16 with the second.  Considering the fact that we're typically (not this year maybe) looking at well over 12 inches of ice or more, that wouldn't get me very far. I'm not impressed.

What experience have you had with these?

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DeWalt 20v Max and K-Drill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:07 PM »
I just purchased a Dewalt XR drill model DCD 998. I’ve been using an 8ah battery on an 8” Eskimo hand auger with an adapter.  I haven’t used it a ton but I drilled about 25 holes through 8”-10” ice one day and still had 3 bars. Another day I drilled around probably 40 or 50 holes in an average of maybe 5” and had 2 bars left.

Not the same battery or auger as yours but I would think you should get more with your setup.

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2022, 10:12 PM »
Seems kinda pointless to go the drill route anymore with the strikemaster 24v and 40v. By the time you buy the drill/auger combo you’d save money getting the 24v. Only difference would be that you could use the drill for other things in the off season.
I have the 40v and I am extremely happy with it.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:43 PM »
I run a Dewalt 20 v max , 5 amp batteries with mora auger. I can get 25 to 30 holes. My guess is your batteries are old or something. I carry 6 5 amps with me also trying to keep the warm helps a lot. I carry one in my coat the others in a bag off the ice
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2022, 01:20 AM »
I've heard kdrill makes drills work much harder than other auger attachments because it's a chipper blade. Therefore more battery use per hole with kdrill

Offline Hondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2022, 11:23 AM »
Thanks for the responses.  It literally killed my second battery...dead...and it won't take a charge now even after trying the various tricks (i.e., jump it from another charged battery, etc.).  I wouldn't be so disappointed if the batteries weren't so darned expensive. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2022, 11:25 AM »
Hondo

I suspect you do not have the right model drill . What model do you have ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2022, 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  It literally killed my second battery...dead...and it won't take a charge now even after trying the various tricks (i.e., jump it from another charged battery, etc.).  I wouldn't be so disappointed if the batteries weren't so darned expensive.
dewalt  battery have 3 years warranty, check the month and years it made on the battery,,if it still in 3 years limit you can get new replacement battery,, with dewalt 20v drill get 3 speed drill and lazer blade you will drill more hole, I only use 6-7 inch blades for max use of batteries, 8 inch and chipper blade will suck out lot of juice from batteries

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2022, 04:02 PM »
Wow, that is crazy.  I run the Ridgid 9ah with a old Mora 7 inch and drill around 30 to 40 holes per trip and have never used my second battery.  I don't think I have even pulled 3 out of the 4 bars on the first battery.  I think there is a big difference in power consumption with the chipper blades.  Stay safe.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2022, 04:28 PM »
This is an example of the wrong drill right battery kit ..the DCD791 has 460 UWO torque ..no good for a cordless set up.
If the OP has this Kit ..not gonna cut it ...at least not for long

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-XR-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Drill-Driver-with-1-20-Volt-5-0Ah-Battery-Charger-Bag-DCD791P1/312119566
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2022, 06:08 PM »
I use a De Walt 20volt DCD 966 drill and hammer drill with 5ah batteries,  like it because it has a handle to help hold on too it. I use a 6 inch K drill. Never had a problem drilling holes and putting in ice anchors. Just dont hit dirt and rocks in the ice, will dull the blades fast. Always carry a extra blade or two.

Offline 7lazy77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO POKES!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2022, 09:42 AM »
That sucks to hear.  Don't have the DeWalt, so can't give any personal experiences, but you should be able to get more holes punched than that!  I have a Ridgid 18v with 9ah batteries.  I get about 40 holes with my K-drill on 10".  I have a second battery as backup, but never had to use it yet.  I like the K-drill since I fish a lot of places with dirty ice & don't have to worry about hitting a rock & ruining my whole day. 

Offline Hondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:07 PM »
Thanks again for the tips and ideas.  I have DeWalt 20 Volt XR, 3 speed, DCD996.   DeWalt is replacing my dead battery under warranty.  We'll give it another try and see what happens.

Offline Hondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:08 PM »
And I'm using a 7.5 inch K-drill

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2022, 02:41 PM »
Thanks again for the tips and ideas.  I have DeWalt 20 Volt XR, 3 speed, DCD996.   DeWalt is replacing my dead battery under warranty.  We'll give it another try and see what happens.

And I'm using a 7.5 inch K-drill

That combo should rock ...video below ..only thing that comes to mind ..bad/undercharged battery(s)..icing of the blades or wrong drill setting or you failed to clean the auger hole ..the K-Drill requires you to lift up the auger once in a while to clear away the ice chips or you could get some binding or poor preformance

Offline kienkhang1205

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:43 AM »
that set up should get you, 30 plus hole 8-12 inch of ice,, don’t let batteries stay dead for so long, charge them once in a while even you don’t us the batteries,

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2022, 04:50 PM »
Used my DeWalt with an 8" Eskimo Pistol bit and could not be any more pleased.  5ah battery good for 30 holes, seldom had to use backup battery.  My son has the same drill with an 8" Strikemaster lazer and gets the same. Make sure your drill settings (1) are correct as that will smoke your battery quick,  a lesson I learned when a friend borrowed my setup for a few holes.

Offline smith.c

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2022, 06:15 PM »
I run a Nils 6" with my dewalt still on my first 4ah battery and have drilled right at 40 holes over two weekends in about 8" of ice.. I plan b4 the ice fishing season is over to purchase the 8" nils and see how the lil dewalt holds up..

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2022, 10:28 PM »
I bought new in Dec a 991 Dewalt 20v an cut 10 holes through 20 inches of ice with 8 inch K drill. Key is definitely keep batteries warm. Battery was dead afterwards but recharged fine.
My 6 inch Nils can cut 200 plus inches in a charge 5ah batteries.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.