Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

Lake Trout forage in Lake DeSmet and Fees

<< < (9/10) > >>

Houligan:
Paying a gate or access fee still has nothing to do with the original reason for bringing fees up in the first place. Its about stocking and management of the fishery, possible forage sources.... Gate or access funds will have absolutely zero impact on the fishery itself. The maintenance budget is already being met.

When it comes to paying more be careful what you wish for! I can also see the possibility with the "new housing" development going on around the lake there might be a push to improve things for esthetics and convenience. These are not low end homes so normally what follows is high end homeowners wanting their views to be pretty or just like it was where they came from. So before jumping in with both feet willing to give your hard earned money away, lets see what will be proposed, if anything, before offering to pay without the asking.

Will say it again, Pretty sure you will not see a gate fee anytime soon.

doublehaul:

--- Quote from: WGFFishBio on Jan 23, 2018, 09:20 AM ---Same amount it would cost to grow trophy, illegally introduced walleye

--- End quote ---
That’s funny 😁

doublehaul:
The WYGF solved all of your concerns by stocking Kokanee salmon every year. It’s a win-win for every angler no matter what species you prefer to target. God bless them for making that decision to stock kokes. I attended the informational meeting facilitated by the northeast wyoming walleye association and listened to our local biologist explain the reason for the stocking and the data collected over the past ten years. If the rainbow data does not change as a result of the Kokanee stocking, they plan to continue stocking efforts for the short and long term in desmet.

appleye:
Great resurface post! The Kokanee have changed my summers. I now go at least every weekend to DeSmet from July to September and a lot in the fall looking for spawning Kokanee. The size of fish is about to Flaming Gorge, and you can keep 6 fish a person. I'm sure the lake trout are eating them. We average one lake trout a trip without fishing for them. All on Kokanee gear. Not sure what it would be like targeting them. Last winter Special and I got 10 lake trout looking for kokanee. No size but we were sure we were fishing of lake trout when they bit.  Average lake trout this summer was about 20" long.

POk3s:
I read through this whole thing again and had a good laugh! How quickly things changed at DeSmet. To you locals, it sure seems like things are a lot better up there now than in 2018 right!?

Also, can we all agree that the drop in cutthroat populations had exactly zero to do with increased predation on elk calves right?  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version