Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

Lake Trout forage in Lake DeSmet and Fees

<< < (3/10) > >>

WGFFishBio:
Yes, a large walleye, brown, or lake trout can and will eat our stocked trout. The 8 to 10 inch fish is our "bigger" fish and they are considered a "catchable". In the past, we would stock 200,000 to 300,000 "subcatchbles" or "fingerlings" in DeSmet. The theory back then was to stock more and smaller, then they would grow the rest on their own. Some would get eaten, while the rest survived. Today, just like Boysen, Seminoe, Pathfinder, and Alcova, we stock a bigger fish that can hopefully avoid predation.  Numerous investigations with our big trout/walleye reservoirs have found that there will be very little survival of smaller stocked trout.

It costs WGFD more to raise bigger fish because of the increased cost of feed to raise that bigger fish. Not as many get stocked, but hopefully more of those bigger fish will survive. Another technique that we currently use is to stock as late in the year as possible (right before ice-on). The metabolism of large predatory fish (some exceptions) is slower during the colder water months, requiring less intake of food items, thus more stocked trout survive.

Shad have been introduced into Glendo and Keyhole, but they are whimpy fish and tend to winterkill. Shad were introduced into Seminoe back in the day and they just didn't make it, or do what we had hoped. The average water temperatures are just too cold for shad in those reservoirs. In lieu of shad, emerald shiners were introduced into most trout reservoirs, including DeSmet.  Currently, emerald shiners are still quite prolific in DeSmet and provide additional forage for trout, walleye, and perch.

Hope this helps

mobilerat:
Thanks for explaining it better than I could.  I watched an interesting show recently about how lake  trout illegally introduced into Yellowstone lake has caused a tremendous decline in the Elk population. I was very skeptical at first but they explained it very well how the lake trout eating the Cutthroats caused the grizzly bears to begin eating the elk calves when they used to be eating the cutthroat at that time of year. Illegal fish introductions have caused major problems in many places in the country. I wish there was a better way to stop them.

wyoutdoors:

--- Quote from: mobilerat on Jan 25, 2018, 04:33 PM ---Thanks for explaining it better than I could.  I watched an interesting show recently about how lake  trout illegally introduced into Yellowstone lake has caused a tremendous decline in the Elk population. I was very skeptical at first but they explained it very well how the lake trout eating the Cutthroats caused the grizzly bears to begin eating the elk calves when they used to be eating the cutthroat at that time of year. Illegal fish introductions have caused major problems in many places in the country. I wish there was a better way to stop them.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a Chaos Theory explanation. Elk decline due to lakers? Maybe wolves play a larger role in elk, deer populations declining than a lake trout? :tipup:

appleye:

--- Quote from: wyoutdoors on Jan 25, 2018, 05:38 PM ---Sounds like a Chaos Theory explanation. Elk decline due to lakers? Maybe wolves play a larger role in elk, deer populations declining than a lake trout? :tipup:

--- End quote ---
I'm with you. Can't have that conversation without the wolves. Citing lake trout for the decline in the food chain is, "Out there!"

Shad are wimpy and I thought that was the reason for using them when I first read about them because of them dying off every year they don't over take their environment. I would agree the Seminoe is too cold for a warmer water bait fish, DeSmet gets 80 degrees in August. Have only seen low 70's at the same time of year at Seminoe. One thing is for sure the fish don't get big without food and age. Same as everything else. With all the "Experiments" at DeSmet in the past, (Eagle lake rainbow, cutbow, etc..) sure would be fun to see what some more food would do for the large fish.

Labdog:
Ha! Great conversation on the Lake Trout, was out today off the Monument. Looking for Lakers and Browns in deep drop off areas but found nothing. Had to move to the shallow areas to catch dinner. Good ice 11-12"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version