Author Topic: Fishhook Removal ! (from your body)  (Read 12749 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Fishhook Removal ! (from your body)
« on: Sep 01, 2016, 12:51 AM »

See the video how-to here:       YouTube

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Fishhook Removal ! (from your body)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Thanks for beginning everyone's day with bit of gruesome stuff!  ;)2

I'm no stranger to those sort of mishaps. Big fish, big lures, lots of excitement and an equal amount of carelessness occasionally add up to disaster. Just one of those events:

I got this out with a helper and the string method. The video is a little off on that. You really need to press down farther up on the shank of the hook to disengage that barb from the wound channel. Done properly it literally slips right out without even stretching the skin.

The singular trip to the ER, when I didn't have a helper and the angle was too far from being able to push through, used another method. The Dr. took a hypodermic needle, went in the entry hole and tried to engage the barb with the hole in the needle. Done well it effectively extends the barb back out the wound channel and the hook slips right back out the way it went in. Moderately easy and relatively painless. I now carry a couple in the 1st aid kit in the boat and on the ice.

One last tip: If the hook is in such a way that pushing through is easier, go quickly. Too slow and you skin will stretch so much it makes it really difficult (watch the video, that's what it will look like). Go really fast and pop it all the way through in one quick motion and it's over with minimal pain.

I don't enjoy getting wired up so I'll not be jamming hooks in my arm (or anywhere else) on purpose but everyone should know how to take care of a mishap. A trip to the ER is around $500.

Let's be careful out there!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Yikes !  I'm thinkin' that's your hand, esox_xtm.    OUCH !    :sick:

That is a 'dated ' video.   Only a 'so-so'.     The string method is best.

So far, I've been lucky/immune, ha.    ;)2

A thousand pardons for spoiling breakfast. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:32 PM »
Ah,my hand? Affirmative! I believe that is event #2 out of #6.

String/line method rocks but you really need a partner you can trust or knows already or takes instructions very well.....

As far as spoiling breakfast? Not mine !  ;D I'm gonna bump this just to try to make someone else's day.....

Event #1: 6/0 treble driven into each hand with the middle treble still lodged in a 45" musky. Hooks were thru and thru so once I unshackled from the fish it was pretty easy....  ::)

Event #2" Ran my hand under the boat cover to retrieve a rigged rod to cast off the dock with. I found the rod... :%$#!: Had a great partner to help with 100# braid. EZPZ.

At least 4 more events saved for future enjoyment!

Stay tuned......

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2016, 11:12 PM »
Holy smokes!

That dude is some sort of tough for real lol!

Just crazy...

<°)))>{

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 03, 2016, 07:34 AM »
Been there, done that  :o

Pushed in on through

Flattened the barb, reversed it out and went fishing  ;D

I wasn't going to lose my last day in Florida and certainly didn't want to blow ANOTHER emergency room fee since 3 months earlier i got hit with a line drive while pitching batting practice

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2016, 11:46 AM »
Boy your just an accident  waiting to happen.. ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2016, 01:49 PM »
Boy your just an accident  waiting to happen.. ;D

Ironically my birth was an accident  ... or so i am told  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline steeliebob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2016, 12:54 PM »
I got a #12 treble buried in my finger joint last winter after an hour I finally figured it out. I got a big coffee cup and filled it with snow and ice. Then I poured kosher salt over it all to make it good and cold. I stuck my finger in it to numb it for 2 minutes. Grabbed the needle nose pliers and it was out in 10 seconds. I had a fishing buddy bury a salmon hook in the middle of my back a few years ago. I had to go to the hospital for that one to be removed.

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2016, 04:50 PM »
I have good health insurance so I'll pay the $70 for my trip to the ER.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2016, 05:01 PM »
I have good health insurance so I'll pay the $70 for my trip to the ER.

I thought my insurance was good until I had to make one of those trips. $395 was my end AFTER insurance  :%$#!: It ain't as hard as it looks and done correctly really not painful at all. You just need a partner you can trust and a couple of strong stomachs. It really is kinda creepy to look at.

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Creepy is an understatement.... no strong stomach here :sick: :sick:  Once was plenty for me......urgent care doc just kept shaking his head, apparently not a fisherman  :cookoo:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2016, 05:58 PM »
barbs come off my hooks as soon as I take them out of the package. SMA many times!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:07 PM »
Year before last my bud snag yanked a 4/0 out of me the hard way 😜
Over the years I've stuck a few and left to my own devices , worst was a 6/0 push through and clip off , no matter what size they all smart some

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Creepy is an understatement.... no strong stomach here :sick: :sick:  Once was plenty for me......urgent care doc just kept shaking his head, apparently not a fisherman  :cookoo:

Yeah, I stood in the ER waiting filling out forms..... Stayed at the desk with my hook impaled hand directed to the little girl manning the desk. She said I could go sit "over there". I said "Nah, it's OK"  >:D ;D

She actually got me out of the waiting area pretty quickly (wonder why?). Then I had to sit for an hour listening to a doctor and some drunk lady's husband argue with her about staying overnight for obs. Geez, really?

My first rodeo was a 45" musky, hand landed, losing my grip (partially) ending with 5/0 trebles, one in each hand and the fish still hooked on the middle one. Yeah, imagine that..... ::)

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Whoa, that doesn't sound like much fun there esox  :wacko:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2016, 06:43 PM »
Did the same thing with a 15 pound rainbow and a crank bait. One end attached to the fish, the other buried in my palm. Rodeo time.....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Whoa, that doesn't sound like much fun there esox  :wacko:

Actually..... It was a boatload of fun. The story leading up to is priceless. It was my first experience with being "wired up" was really (almost) the easiest. Once we got the hook on the fish cut free there only remained the problem of how to get rest out of me. Both were through and (almost) through; just tiny points sticking through the skin a ways away from the entry point. One came out EZPZ. The other, not so much. Stuck in the gristle of a joint on my little finger no amount of pushing/pulling would move it. I had a 6" needle-nose Vise-Grips clipped on the point side and I pushed from the other while my Dad pulled on the VG. Wouldn't budge. I got a fresh razor blade and opened up the exit hole juuuuust a tad. That was enough to let that hook barb pass.

I got pics of the fish but nothing digital that is easily shareable. Oh well....

By the time you get poked a half a dozen times or so it becomes pretty routine. No, I'm not particularly careless. When you deal with big fish and really, really sharp hooks stuff happens.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Had a salt water Rapala go through a finger when I tried to grab the plug attached to a mid 20's bluefish going ballistic on the other hook in my kayak. Got the fish off, then a buddy came over with linemans pliers out of his dry box and cut the barb. Soaked it in bleach to kill anything, then wrapped it to stop the bleeding. Finished the tourney and he was rewarded with a nice mid 30's striper.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Been there, done that... twice! Was by myself out in the boat both times, both times were trebles.

First time, I knelt down on a 3/0 treble and it went through my jeans and into my knee just below the knee cap. Had to cut the hook off as close to the shank as possible so I could pull my pants leg up to see what I was doing. Hook point wasn't as sharp as I'd have liked it to be, so there was lots of cussing as I pushed it through for an exit.

Second time, I had just reeled the fish in and went to grab the line when the fish flipped off the hook. When the fish flipped off the rod tip snapped back sending the #4 into my little finger at super sonic speed. I took pics of the removal:

Hook embedded in my finger

Hook pushed through

Barb cut off for removal.

It may sound crazy, but I prefer the "push through" method. It may be more painful during the process, but the wound heals much quicker with 2 holes to drain from and there's less chance of infection because of the wounds ability to drain. Single hole puncture wounds are dangerous and become infected quickly and easily!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:45 PM »

It may sound crazy, but I prefer the "push through" method. It may be more painful during the process, but the wound heals much quicker with 2 holes to drain from and there's less chance of infection because of the wounds ability to drain. Single hole puncture wounds are dangerous and become infected quickly and easily!

I'll respectfully disagree. 33% of my mishaps have been resolved with an entry wound extraction (one hole). If I had not had the experience I would tend to agree with you but the results, at least for me, were surprising. No infection, no pain, no redness or swelling. Of course, I took care. Plenty of alcohol (the external variety), antibiotic salve and at least a daily soak in Epsom salts for the first three days. After those 3 days you could barely tell where the original puncture marks were.

DO keep your tetanus shots up to date..... ;)2

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2016, 10:54 PM »

Yes !    And for those that are in doubt ~   EVERY TEN YEARS !   Just tryin' to save  you some pain.      ;)2 :bow:

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:48 AM »
I'll respectfully disagree. 33% of my mishaps have been resolved with an entry wound extraction (one hole). If I had not had the experience I would tend to agree with you but the results, at least for me, were surprising. No infection, no pain, no redness or swelling. Of course, I took care. Plenty of alcohol (the external variety), antibiotic salve and at least a daily soak in Epsom salts for the first three days. After those 3 days you could barely tell where the original puncture marks were.

I'm a carpenter by trade and work commercial and industrial construction and have had more than my share of single entry puncture wounds (nails, screws, wire, etc.) and I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you. An entry and exit puncture wound is gone in half the time of an entry puncture wound... but to each his own.

I will agree on the tetanus shots though, I keep mine up because of my line of work and because I fish, and work in the yard too. I'm due next year and will get one the next time I'm in the doctors office.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Always keep side cutters in my tackle box.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:07 AM »
pinched barbs = pop right out  ;D

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:01 PM »
i'm just going to take a moment to remind everyone that although a fishhook is pretty small, if you hook yourself it's still a puncture wound; and therefore much more prone to infection, not just tetanus.

even if you manage to remove the hook yourself, it's always a good idea to have a doctor take a look at it once you're off the water.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:29 PM »
i'm just going to take a moment to remind everyone that although a fishhook is pretty small, if you hook yourself it's still a puncture wound; and therefore much more prone to infection, not just tetanus.

even if you manage to remove the hook yourself, it's always a good idea to have a doctor take a look at it once you're off the water.

Check out an 8/0 4x strong treble, especially the barb. You may want to rethink "small". Small as compared to a knife or ice pick or, heck, I don't know.

As far as post wound care. If you're smart about it, got yer shots and take proper care; no doctor, no worries. Been there 7 times, 6 buried past the barb to the bend with 2 thru and thru. Sad to say, it gets easier every time.

Best one was #7. Had some lures hanging around from some overhead lights and extension cords in the basement. Leaned thru a curtain of baits (like 6 - 8) to reach for a paper towel. Grabbed the towel and came back thru without thinking. Snagged one in the top of my ear. Popped straight thru but had to untangle the multi lure mess to get to the one then had to go upstairs with the hook cutter and use the mirror to cut hook.

Oh yeah, a sidecutter wouldn't cut any of the hooks I buried....

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:46 AM »
wait for it ;)

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Check out an 8/0 4x strong treble, especially the barb. You may want to rethink "small". Small as compared to a knife or ice pick or, heck, I don't know.

As far as post wound care. If you're smart about it, got yer shots and take proper care; no doctor, no worries. Been there 7 times, 6 buried past the barb to the bend with 2 thru and thru. Sad to say, it gets easier every time.

Best one was #7. Had some lures hanging around from some overhead lights and extension cords in the basement. Leaned thru a curtain of baits (like 6 - 8) to reach for a paper towel. Grabbed the towel and came back thru without thinking. Snagged one in the top of my ear. Popped straight thru but had to untangle the multi lure mess to get to the one then had to go upstairs with the hook cutter and use the mirror to cut hook.

Oh yeah, a sidecutter wouldn't cut any of the hooks I buried....

It sounds like fishing is way too dangerous of a sport for you, you should consider taking up something safer... like ping pong.

Out of 55 years of fishing I've only been stuck twice, and I fish a lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.