Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Clothing: floating vs sinking--what are your thoughts?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Gills-only:
If you go in with carharts, you better be out within a minute or have your life insurance paid up, they are warm and tough, but that's where it stops!!

GCD:
Here's video of people going through the ice that isn't rehearsed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x10xdJ-is9U

Watch the first guy that goes in (red cap) struggles and how he becomes lower and lower in the water (just like Dr. Giesbrecht in part 3 safety video above) until he's rescued at the very last second. It doesn't take long at all for your clothes to become filled with water, as the water flows in it will push any trapped air out through the neck of your clothing, and you can't wear your clothing tight enough around your neck to hold the trapped air in without strangling yourself.

That video is a cluster flock of things NOT to do when someone goes through the ice, the people that went through are real lucky that there were that many people around to help.

Coldfish98:

--- Quote from: GCD on Feb 06, 2016, 04:13 PM ---Here's video of people going through the ice that isn't rehearsed:

Watch the first guy that goes in (red cap) struggles and how he becomes lower and lower in the water (just like Dr. Giesbrecht in part 3 safety video above) until he's rescued at the very last second. It doesn't take long at all for your clothes to become filled with water, as the water flows in it will push any trapped air out through the neck of your clothing, and you can't wear your clothing tight enough around your neck to hold the trapped air in without strangling yourself.

That video is a cluster flock of things NOT to do when someone goes through the ice, the people that went through are real lucky that there were that many people around to help.

--- End quote ---

Wow. That is scary but a good dose of reality.  It's also a great example of why you should always wear your creepers!

Gills-only:

--- Quote from: GCD on Feb 06, 2016, 04:13 PM ---Here's video of people going through the ice that isn't rehearsed:

--- End quote ---
             Obviously those people in California know very little about ice, as you don't run to the edge to help!!  Amazes me how many did it, one way to thin the herd!!

3300:
i'm here to tell you float suits do save life's. it saved mine. i was in and out in less than 15 seconds. most of that time was figuring out what just happened and what to do next. doing it was easy. i came out with a broken rod in my hand still after rolling away from the bad spot and checking for damage. i wanted to keep fishing, but my boots kept filling with water, so i called it a day. the other 30 people kept fishing.
it makes you sit up higher in the water so self rescue is easy. it keeps your head from going in the water so you don't drown from gasping the water in and so you don't hit your head on the ice if you don't come straight up because you never went that low to be able to get caught under the ice. if that should happen, try not to panic and put your feet on the ice and kick towards the bottom while looking for the hole you made to come back up thru.
i had my arctic armor parka on and insulated jeans and a poly base shirt and fleece hoodie so you have the rest of what was worn.
in that same scenario, i would guess the non float person would have gone under fully and maybe lost in the swift current that made the ice weak in that one spot. maybe gasp the water in too.

i think the ones that couldn't save or the ones who wore street/work clothes on ice and fell in can't talk to you right now. maybe in the next life they can. it should depend on how they try to get out and how long it takes and if they gasp water and if they can keep their head above the water falling in.

i think any one who hasn't fallen in will be shocked at how fast we fall. there is no time at all to think while it's happening. you might think, well i can just spread my feet apart to slow down the decent in water or just pull my arms apart to stop the fall when my arms hit the ice.
it takes a second to disappear.

i think at times how it may have been different if i had the bibs on too. it was 50's out and we all were planking the shores and i forgot my bibs, but went any way.

i wouldn't think of it as how long until your clothes absorb water as much as how light will you be when you penetrate the water. do you want to be a stick or a leaf is how you should look at it. a stick will come back up a leaf will not go under for a long time and never punctures the surface fully.

i'm not sure why you started this topic, but if you want to know if you should buy an ice floating suit, then the answer is absolutely yes. and they are on sale at our sponsor sites. no better time than right now to act before it's too late!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version