Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Clothing: floating vs sinking--what are your thoughts?

<< < (3/7) > >>

bart:
I would rather float than sink...

Cali009:
i don't see the problem here.

if you ca get a suit that can float. why not get it. why save a few dollars and be unsafe. that extra little bit of security is a good thing. i sill would not count on it 100% all the time but that small amount extra for safety is worth all the extra dollars.

i own the striker lite ice bibs. ( not much lite about them) but the piece of mind is nice to have a just in case emergency. plus we always have a throw rope. or i bring my 80' wakeboard rope and handle.

my problem is i worked in the snowboard industry for over 22 years. so lets say my winter clothing selection is huge. a new winter outfit every year. plus working as a sales rep samples tend to pile up if you don't sell them.

if i could get ride of every winter item i own. i would purchase a striker climate suit.

orange pants:
I fell through the ice in 15' of water with regular winter clothes. The pants and long johns very quickly became so heavy from the water it was very hard to get your legs up to the surface. Also the boots which very quickly filled with water also kept me from getting my legs and feet up to the surface. Another ice fisherman came to pull me out. The rope I had in my ice sled is what was needed to get me out. After this experience I bought a Striker float suit and I have life preservers for all others fishing with me. If I was there by myself that day I'm sure I would not have survived. Buy the float suit or at least buy the floating bibs and use a life preserver.

Chute82:
5 years ago my buddy and I went ice fishing, we where out about 300 ft from shore on 7" of ice in 20 ft of water.  My buddy and I where sitting about 20 ft apart catching fish.  My buddy was releasing a fish and when he stood up from his chair he went straight through the ice.  It was like the ice just swallowed him, I ran over layed flat on the ice and grabbed him.  Next thing I know I'm swimming in the water and the hole opened up to about 8 ft.  I swam to the other side of the hole used my picks and got back on the ice.  My buddy was struggling to keep his head above the water, I dumped the sled and slid it to him, he grabbed on and I drug him out onto the ice.

I am 5'10" 180 lbs in pretty good shape, Did 10 years in the Airborne infantry, I was wearing my US Army issued Gortex Suit, US Army issued PolyPro long underwear, and Mickey Mouse boots. 

My buddy is a year or two older then me about 5'9" 260 lbs. he was wearing a hunting outfit mostly made from cotton or synthetic fibers and hunting boots.  His outfit soaked up water quick making it very difficult to swim and could not get back on the ice. 

I wear a life jacket now and rope in the sled.  Going to get a striker hardwater suit in the near future

46r:
Strange that 7 inches opened up that way, but I can visualize Chute82's story.  I hit a ridge with my ATV a couple weeks back that looked solid ... not.  Fortunately, I was just a few feet from shore and the machine just climbed out.  A friend of mine wasn't as lucky as me ... His machine made it across the ridge but he lost some equipment.  Putting those events together was enough to wake me up.  I went home, researched floating gear ... Striker on the way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version