Author Topic: Shanty Lights & Rod holder/protector  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shanty Lights & Rod holder/protector
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:45 AM »
I got all of my stuff in the mail today to put lights in my shanty. Only cost me $30 and a couple hours time. I am very pleased with the end result. I used a strip of Green LED on the front bar because I do a lot of night fishing. I've had a lot of luck with my 2' hydroglow so I wanted to see what would happen with this set up.

Keeps it nice and bright.

Here's a video: http://vid707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/zktaylor/VID_20141211_010826.mp4

I also decided to make some PVC rod holders/protectors. Used 1 1/2" pvc with caps. I cut out a slot for the reel to slide up and I used a rubber band to keep the line from rubbing on the PVC and breaking.

It was a busy day for me ;D

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shanty Lights & Rod holder/protector
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:47 AM »
That's some hi-tec gadgetry there! Cool! :thumbsup:
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Looks Great!

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Nice job with the lights, I did something real similar last year.  I think you will like it.  I still use my lantern inside the shanty (mostly for heat), but the lantern doesn't throw a lot of light up around your head when your trying to see a spring bobber, or tie a hook on.  I think the led lights do a great job of that
I also made a rod holder similar last year out of an old flag pole.  I split mine down the middle, and put a hinge on the back.  I then used some clasps to hold it shut.  You can also use pipe insulation inside to protect the rod.  I like your idea of using a rubber band to hold the line where you want it.  I used electrical tape so the pipe doesn't cut the string.  I learned that one the hard way last year, I set the hook on a nice fish (first of the afternoon).  Fought the fish for a second then the line broke.  I'm sure it was rubbing on the pipe. 

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Have you had the PVC out on the ice?  I'm afraid it'd get cold and brittle.   Please let me know.  I have a nice long piece I've been waiting to make rod holders with!   :tipup:
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Have you had the PVC out on the ice?  I'm afraid it'd get cold and brittle.   Please let me know.  I have a nice long piece I've been waiting to make rod holders with!   :tipup:

PVC works fine just don't be playing baseball with chunks of ice or chopping open holes lol

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Brad that looks pretty nice! Thanks for sharing guys.

Offline levi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:00 PM »
I have been thinking of making something for my rods you guys have given me some ex cellant ideas. I just don't like the ones the sell in the stores.thank you
My wife says if I go ice fishing one more time shes going to leave me, God Im going to miss her.

Offline rip-n-lips86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:46 PM »
@zktaylor where did you get the rope lights? I have been looking for a good place online to get them on the cheap

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I really like your light set up . How bad is the green on the night blindness ?

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I really like your light set up . How bad is the green on the night blindness ?

I dont know yet. We'll have to wait and see when we get some ice. I Havent spent a lengthy amount of time in it in the dark yet to really know how it affects anything.

@zktaylor where did you get the rope lights? I have been looking for a good place online to get them on the cheap

Amazon. Just search LED light strips. Got both 5 meter rolls for 9 bucks a piece. They are more flexible and cheaper than rope lights and come in a large variety of colors.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Nice job with the lights, I did something real similar last year.  I think you will like it.  I still use my lantern inside the shanty (mostly for heat), but the lantern doesn't throw a lot of light up around your head when your trying to see a spring bobber, or tie a hook on.  I think the led lights do a great job of that
I also made a rod holder similar last year out of an old flag pole.  I split mine down the middle, and put a hinge on the back.  I then used some clasps to hold it shut.  You can also use pipe insulation inside to protect the rod.  I like your idea of using a rubber band to hold the line where you want it.  I used electrical tape so the pipe doesn't cut the string.  I learned that one the hard way last year, I set the hook on a nice fish (first of the afternoon).  Fought the fish for a second then the line broke.  I'm sure it was rubbing on the pipe. 

I really like your rod protector. If I had an old flag pole laying around I'd attempt one lol. I had a couple 5' pieces of 1 1/2" PVC layin around so I used that. Only had to buy the caps. I was happy with the outcome.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:24 PM »

The PVC is pretty thick. I don't think it'll break unless you are being pretty rough with it. Before I put my rod in it I dropped it a few times from about 5 feet and nothing happened. Like Stinkybaits said, as long as you aren't out there playing baseball or throwing them around they'll be just fine.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:25 AM »
The PVC is pretty thick. I don't think it'll break unless you are being pretty rough with it. Before I put my rod in it I dropped it a few times from about 5 feet and nothing happened. Like Stinkybaits said, as long as you aren't out there playing baseball or throwing them around they'll be just fine.

No baseball?  :'(  Isn't that why we are heading to the ice?  ;)   Thanks!  :tipup: 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.