Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

Arctic Armor questions

(1/5) > >>

7lazy77:
Well, I am seriously thinking about taking the plunge this year.  The idea of the "floating" suit has got me sold & I just had a few questions before making the purchase. 
I see that there are two different kinds (red/black & the green/yellow), is the only difference the temperature rating?  I currently do the layering of my clothes underneath & by the time I get to my spot, I am already sweating.  So I think the lighter (red/black?) suit would better fit my needs.  I am 6'2"  200#, what size would be the best for me???  I am thinking I might want it one size bigger, just in case I do hit the 15 below/30+ mph winds, so that I can add extra underneath layers & still be comfortible in the suit.
Any help/input is greatly appreciated!

tonebea:
I'm 6', about 190# and I think I got the large, which fits perfectly and has enough room if I want to wear more. I think the only difference between the 2 is the green has a fleece liner on the inside. By the way, I love my artic armor. It's light and very warm. The floating part makes me more comfortable too.

ice dawg:
I have the Red and Black suit and it is very warm. The Green and Black suit has a Tricot liner and can be hard to put on due to the Tricot grabbing your clothing and not letting it slide over it easily.

Here is an Arctic Armor sizing chart. I hope it helps a bit.

Sizing Chart - Order larger than your actual measurements - Sleeve measured from center of back
SIZE CHEST SLEEVE
Jacket XL Up to 54" Up to 36"
Jacket L Up to 52" Up to 36"
Jacket M Up to 50" Up to 35"
Jacket S Up to 48" Up to 34"
Jacket 2XL Up to 56" Up to 37"
Jacket 3XL Up to 60" Up to 38"
SIZE WAIST INSEAM
Bib XL Up to 48" Up to 33"
Bib L Up to 46" Up to 32"
Bib M Up to 45" Up to 30"
Bib S Up to 44" Up to 28"
Bib 2XL Up to 52" Up to 33"
Bib 3XL Up to 54" Up to 33"

Steuben1:
You know, I was in the same position as you last year.  I was looking at AA and Clam, heck even Frabil.  I have no real dedication to any of the manufacturers,  I can only give my honest opinion about my experience.

I went to a store that had the AA, Clam and Frabil suits.  I tried them all on.  All were very nice suits but I finally made my decision on the AA because of the fleece lining in the green and black suit.  The AA suit is extremely light.  When I first put it on,  I thought there would be no way it would keep me warm, but it does.  The frabill was big and bulky, imho.  I liked the Clam suit, but again imho, it was nothing more than a windbreaker.  I got my Arctic Armor Plus suit for $300.  It has been the best suit I have ever owned.  Its lightweight, breathes well and washes nicely.  The pockets are arranged nicely and there are many of them.  Two things that I had to get use to with the AA Plus suit.  First, the bibs down at the bottom are a little tricky to put on.  There is a second enclosure for your legs that you need to velcro shut.  If you try one on, you will know what I mean.  Secondly,  I had to learn how to layer properly.  Not that I ever got cold, but layering is important with these suits.  The previous suit I was wearing for ice fishing was my Whitetail Extreme suit from Cabelas.  That sucker you don' t have to layer in!  But then again, its very heavy.

I spent a little more money on the AA Plus because of the fleece lining and the fact that it floats.  I'm sure others don't care for it, but for me, it was the right choice and I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

By the way,  I am 6' tall and 210 lbs and my jacket is a XXL and my bibs are XL and they both fit perfect.

Good Luck

Steuben1

slider:
I';ve had my AA suit for 2 yrs and wouldnt go out without it. I bought mine in a close out that was green and yellow.
the bad thing was I live in pittsburgh and the first week i wore it the Steelers were going to play Green bay. Needless to say i was harassed all day.
Ive been ice fishing for probably close to 40 yrs and went thru 2 times once to my knees and the other just abopve my boot tops. the AA is IMHO the best buy out there,Ive been on a lake here in PA called High Point ,in 10 degrees and 25 mph winds and gusting i was nice and warm with nothing more than a flanell shirt sweat pants and light thermals
i go 6' 245 and i love them ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version