Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Safety

A couple of things on Ice safety.

(1/4) > >>

oletimer:
The first is an article in our local paper. Just to show that even with safe ice all around the area, which people have been fishing for a few weeks. There are always spots or places the ice is not safe. Mind you this pond is not very large, and the boy is 8 years old. Far from being as heavy as a adult man. Also brings to mind how important it is to keep track of where the kids are or are heading.
http://poststar.com/news/local/article_5154a36a-1933-11e0-80cf-001cc4c03286.html

Second is what the Assistant Chief had with him. A throw bag. The group I fish with always has one. They are not that expensive, or difficult to set up. Some of the ideas I've read here though good in theory, are not conducive to an easy ice rescue. The victim has to be able to wrap the rope around them and hook it back to itself easily. We use large Carabeners, attached to the throw bag. Plus most buy a package of nylon rope at the hardware. Though good, probably not high enough in strength to pull an average weight man, soaked with heavy clothes on up over the edge of ice. Most packaged rope is rated for 60-240lbs.
You really need something rated for 500-1000lbs. Also the rope should have a woven cover on it. They are smoother and resist tangling on themselves like a braided nylon will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zJOL40GOtc&feature=related

Here is a good demonstration of throw bag usage. The type of rope allows for easier loading of the bag and doesn't allow the rope to tangle on itself. The bag of rope is heavy enough to go a good distance and won't hurt the victim should you hit them in the head with your throw. ;D
Also would like to add, a lot of fire departments do ice rescue training. If you would like to sit in and observe most will welcome you to. Learning is the best defense to avoid panic.

oletimer:
I should have put this in the general topic and let them move it.
Not a lot of people go to the safety section... ???

smitty0312:
10-4... I agree oletimer

oletimer:
Boy with all the happening every year and the amount of posts per minute on this site this is discouraging to only have one post in response.  ??? :o

MJS:
 I agree this should be a sticky in EVERY sub forum.
I have been looking at throw bags there are a lot out there I just need to pull the trigger.
Great You Tube video. Thanks for posting.

Matt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version