Author Topic: No Perch or Walleye....but (White Bass)?  (Read 5695 times)

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
No Perch or Walleye....but (White Bass)?
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Got home from work this evening around 6 and thought I would try to see if I could catch a Perch or two at dusk.  Didn't mark a thing so headed deeper to see if there was a Walleye hanging around.  Ended up drilling on the edge of a 40ft. flat, didn't mark anything but figured I walked that far might as well drop a line down.  I had a buckshot minnow tipped with a beemoth dropped it down to 38ft. and started jigging.  Nothing on the Vexilar so I set the rod down to grab my perch pole that had a gold pimple on it when I saw the Vexilar light up just below my spoon.  Did everything I could to get them to bite but no dice, switched to the pimple and same thing interested but no bite.  Last try with a spoon was the slender spoon, still interested and could keep them interested this time but still no bite.  Last try was a salmo chubby darter in gold/orange.  Jigged them up and paused and wham finally hooked something, was hoping it was a walleye.  Took about 5min. to get it up to the hole and all I could see was white.  I am assuming it's a White Bass?  Ended up hooking into something bigger about 2 min. after I dropped back into the hole but ran around my vexilar and got off.  Ended up catching one more before calling it a day but it was quite a bit smaller.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: No Perch or Walleye....but?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Almost forgot, are they edible?

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:43 PM »
ZRWHAT nice catch...yes they are very tasty in fact....fun to catch also.. :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:46 PM »
They are edible and fairly good to eat, IF AND ONLY IF you remove the darker red meat when you fillet the fish (darker red strip on the skin side of the fillet).

If you don't get that dark meat trimmed out it will taste horrible you bite into it.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Just weighed it on the wife's mail scale ::)  2lb 10oz, I'll fillet them up tomorrow evening.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:00 PM »
use a lot of lemon juice. ;)
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I heard rumors of those dam things in wawasee....someone planted them in there and they are reproducing.  Read something from the DNR a while back they are worried what impact they will have on the perch and crappie populations as the compete for the same food and also eat alot of young of the year fish.  Never a good thing to introduce a non native fish into a body of water.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:25 PM »
  Never a good thing to introduce a non native fish into a body of water.
[/quote] Very true.Better to go to a lake that has what you want to fish for. JMO
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I was hoping for a nice Perch or Walleye but it still put up a hell of a fight.  Just a little east & south of where we have been fishing.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:27 AM »
I believe these are the same things that I used to catch out of Lake of Woods near Bremen. They fight like crazy. I cleaned a few just out of curiosity. I didnt care for the reddish meat. I like white fillets for fish.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Dropped a note to Jed Pearson @ the DNR just to get his thoughts and he wrote back this morning.

Brent - thanks for the fishing report. We've been aware of white bass in Wawasee ever since the winter of 2003 when ice fishermen first started reporting them. We caught three in a fish population survey in 2005 and 18 in 2008. Here is our assessment of their current population status:

"Although 18 white bass (2/gill net lift, 1/h electrofishing) were captured in 2008, they appear to still be present at numbers too low to negatively impact the native sport fishery as few changes have occurred since 2004. Furthermore, they appear to be present at similar densities as other nearby natural lakes where they are present and not considered to be at nuisance levels. For example, they were captured at a rate of one per gill net lift and one per hour of electrofishing at Lake Tippecanoe (1995). Similar catch rates have been observed at the Barbee Lakes (1997), Silver Lake (2006), Winona Lake (2007), and Pike Lake (2009).  Though there may be long-term consequences to the native fish community if white bass abundance were to increase in the future, they currently provide more diversity for sport fishing and should be seen as an additional fishing resource for anglers at Lake Wawasee."

I'm also pasting in a news release we issued back in 2003 when they first appeared.

Thanks,
Jed Pearson fisheries biologist
Indiana Divisionof Fish and Wildlife

Lake Wawasee invaded by white bass

SYRACUSE - Lake Wawasee, northern Indiana's largest natural lake, just got a little more crowded.

White bass, a fish found more often in southern Indiana reservoirs, have shown up in angler catches at Wawasee for the first time this past winter, prompting concerns that they could have adverse effects on the lake's ecology.

Ice-fishermen reportedly caught several 7½-inch white bass in channels at the south end of the lake. The fish were all young individuals, probably one year old, indicating adult white bass have apparently spawned there previously.

There are no records that white bass were present in the lake, according to Jed Pearson, Division of Fish and Wildlife biologist.

Pearson doesn't know how the white bass got into Wawasee but suspects some anglers may have caught them at other lakes and transported them to Wawasee.

Catching fish from one lake and stocking them into another lake without a permit from the Division of Fish and Wildlife is illegal.

"White bass are present in nearby Lake Tippecanoe and the Barbee Lakes, so someone may have caught them there and taken them to Wawasee," says Pearson. "No permit was or would have been issued for the stocking."

Pearson says white bass do not occur naturally in Indiana lakes that drain into Lake Michigan, including Wawasee, but are present in several lakes that drain into the Tippecanoe and Wabash rivers.

Although Pearson says white bass are popular sport fish and normally reach lengths up to 16 inches, they are predatory fish that will feed on small fish. If their population expands, they may eat enough small perch, bluegills, crappies, largemouth bass, or other sport fish to affect fishing at Lake Wawasee.

"We're not sure what the long-term consequences might be," says Pearson. "It probably depends on what level of abundance they ultimately achieve."

Normally white bass feed mainly on gizzard shad, a forage fish of little interest to anglers. They usually have little impact on lake ecology where shad are present. But Wawasee does not contain gizzard shad, so Pearson says white bass may compete more seriously with other sport fish in the lake.

"Lake Wawasee already has a lot of predator fish, including largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and northern pike, so food could get a little scarce if white bass become abundant," says Pearson.

"Hopefully many of these same predators will help keep the white bass population in check," he says.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I was hoping for a nice Perch or Walleye but it still put up a hell of a fight.  Just a little east & south of where we have been fishing.

Sounds like alot of fun on an ice fishing rig, but I have never eaten one.  If they are not good table fare, they seem to be more of a nusience fish than anything.

Offline boz96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:12 AM »
Still catch alot of them on Lake of the Woods, they tend to get quite annoying when you are targeting walleye and a bunch of those come in and tear your bait up before the toothy critters make up their minds!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Almost forgot, are they edible?

Fry the fish and then throw them away and eat the frying pan :sick:
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:49 AM »

Agreed... Just my opinion. 
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Agreed... Just my opinion. 
I couldn't even get past the smell while trying to clean. It ended up making for garden fertilizer. :P
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:31 AM »

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!   I think that answers my question about table fare!!!   :sick: :sick: :afro: :icefish:

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Two more tonight, the bigger one measured just under 17" but was a little heavier than the one I caught last night 2lb 12oz.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:39 PM »
LOL!  Brent....looks like you found a new hobby!!!  I bet they fight like mad.  Sounds like you found a hot spot for them.  There must be a decent population of them of different sizes in there.

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:47 PM »
Couldn't resist trying them again, missed two others that I had hooked but got off.  Still no Jumbo's out there, caught 10 or so in about 30min. but they just kept getting smaller.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I'm ready to catch one of those!! ;)2 :icefish:

Offline ZRWHAT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Didn't want to let you down, caught two more and then decided to take a video of the Vexilar marking the fish and missed another one.  Then right after that I put the phone away and dropped down and caught the biggest one yet 18.5" 3lb 3oz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDY_-wcX6so (Video is of Vex zoomed to bottom 6')

First Two

Biggest so far

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:55 PM »
I caught a White Bass out from the launch in about 34 fow last year.  Not nearly as big, but they do fight hard!

Offline ultralight

• IceShanty Rookie
  • .......get the gaff......
Re: No Perch or Walleye....but (White Bass)?
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:49 AM »
I fish for them in the spring and try to find them in the winter. Like everyone is saying, just remove some of the red meat on the skin side and soak them in salt water over night. Great deep fried. ;D If i were closer to all of you that don't like them, i would take all of yours!!

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:57 AM »
nice fish, white's are a blast to catch! never caught one thru the ice, but i can just imagine. I also herd they are good deep fried, just have to be prepped right...

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:02 AM »
in ny we have white bass and white perch, the bass are very similar tasting, but are bonier and have more of the red meat others have stated, try clipping their gill while they are alive, it might be messy on the ice, but should take away alot of the red meat and also will make cleaning them alittle cleaner
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:56 PM »
I hope you are killing them and not putting them back to spawn this spring.  As you can see by that ones gut, there are about 50,000 eggs or about 50 young of the year fish in there!!!  I think the DNR has no idea how many of those are in the Wawasee....

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Once you get a population you will have a ton of them.

Catches like in the picture below are common up here on the Fox Chain in northern IL. (not my picture, pulled it from my other ice fishing site)  People chase and target the white bass specifically.

Fortunately, it is just a natural part of the fishery here, so the BIG populations of gills, crappie, perch, walleye, bass, and pike haven't been hurt.  It is a chain with a few lakes,
7000+ acres, Fox River flows in up north, and flows out south in the main lake I fish.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Once you get a population you will have a ton of them.

Catches like in the picture below are common up here on the Fox Chain in northern IL. (not my picture, pulled it from my other ice fishing site)  People chase and target the white bass specifically.

(Image removed from quote.)

Fortunately, it is just a natural part of the fishery here, so the BIG populations of gills, crappie, perch, walleye, bass, and pike haven't been hurt.  It is a chain with a few lakes,
7000+ acres, Fox River flows in up north, and flows out south in the main lake I fish.

I fished that chain a few times when I lived up there.  Never did very good, but did not try to hard either.  That is alot of fertilizer there, unless they eat them!  LOL!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I fished that chain a few times when I lived up there.  Never did very good, but did not try to hard either.  That is alot of fertilizer there, unless they eat them!  LOL!

They eat the fish, mostly Europeans, A LOT of non English speaking Russians and Polish ice fisherman up here.

Of all the lakes on the chain I have only fished Pistakee, exactly 30 miles from the house, I go there 2 or 3 times a week and get a lot of BIG gills and crappie with some nice perch mixed in.  Others I have been fishing with have been getting walleye just fishing for gills.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.