Author Topic: Ice Fishing This Weekend  (Read 7599 times)

Offline fisher97

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing This Weekend
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I know some of the lakes up in NW Indiana are still mostly locked  up. With cold coming in Wednesday night I think we might be good to go Saturday on the lakes that only lost a little of the shore. I checked the ice two days ago and all we lost was about 10ft of shore and still had 4-5 inches after that.. Anyone else have any lakes/ponds that never lost ice?

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing This Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:30 PM »
1st I have my doubts that any body of water in Indiana didn't loose most if not all of it's shore ice. 2nd the weather I'm seeing coming in starting Thursday won't make much ice with winds in that short of time. Alittle snow to go with it won't help. I would say fishing out a boat whether its sitting on top of ice or floating is more likely this weekend.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Most all of the places i fish in Kosciusko county are wide open.

Offline Icefish101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:57 PM »
I'm with big r I've been fishing many years on ice and from what I see driving around angola area it's not worth the risk

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Crazy dream your having.lol . Just drive far up north if u need a fix. Am going five hours south to fish myself.
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Drove by snow bay channels today and has what looks like very weak ice, if u can get to it. Lot of open water to get to the "ice" silver lake just over Michigan line is capped if that's what u call it but lot of open water around edges. Green lake, the small one by the mall, I think that's what it's called was virtually open with a floating mass in the middle, have no idea how much ice there. Good luck to the brave few, I'm a looker for a week or so !!

Offline printer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:06 PM »
WHY TAKE THE CHANCE!!!!!!

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:40 AM »
WHY TAKE THE CHANCE!!!!!!
X 2,000,000
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2017, 05:49 AM »
Drove by about 4 or 5 lakes in Lagrange County and some mostly wide open. Some had ice but about 20 feet open near shore. I went to my folks and their lake was open about 15 feet out. The ice after that was an inch and under water. With all the cracking that happened a few days before the warmup I don't think a few days of barely below freezing will bind up what ice we do have left. I cleaned up my boat and have been out in my waders fishing.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline LukeB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I think this weekend might be doable. Theres a high of 35 the rest of the week after this afternoon up here in Valpo and most of the water I have seen still has ice on it. The ice that was left may be honeycomb or it may tighten right up with 72 hours of freezing temps. Should make shore ice easily I would think as water temps can't be much higher than 32. Bring a spud and a friend!

Offline A- BOMBS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:14 AM »
keep in mind its not just melting and deteriorating  from the top.  most river and creek temps and other inflows are putting water into our lakes  from 40-46 degrees.  mid state the Wabash is flowing at almost 46 degrees at this moment.  ....
just not the best scenario as the amount of runoff and in flows has been high with all the rain.
just a thought to help in the decision making process for the weekend.....
me ....im goose hunting!

Offline walkonit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:17 AM »
I hope we don't hear about somebody taking a swim this weekend! I think I will stick with spillway fishing for a few more days.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I did some driving for a meeting this morning, and all the lakes I saw would not be fishable by this weeekend, maybe the following weekend... and even that may be a stretch.  This was whitley and noble county

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2017, 09:33 AM »
Not

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:43 AM »
It's not worth it.  Cast on the ice pull your bait to the edge and let those crappies smack it as it falls.  I was doing good last Sun. with a wet fly in shallow water on nice gills.  Like the man says get out the waders.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:38 AM »
I'm not even going to wish you good luck.  Not sure I'd trust any ice in my area.  Play it safe and wait awhile for things to tighten back up, or make new ice.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Some unrealistically high hopes here

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2017, 02:09 PM »
Quit being doo negative jighead

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:22 PM »
Every pond I passed on 24 from Toledo to Fort Wayne today was wide open and white caped.  Erie was wide open at Cleveland and getting whipped into a froth.
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:36 PM »
Every pond I passed on 24 from Toledo to Fort Wayne today was wide open and white caped.  Erie was wide open at Cleveland and getting whipped into a froth.
I'm just sitting back laughing at all the chatter about no way people are getting out this weekend. Me for one never said THIS weekend anyway. I do have my hopes up barring a lot of wind after Sunday to get out on ice next weekend. Should be some fresh hard ice places by then ;D

Rkoomler

« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:58 PM »
I'm very optimistic for next week

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:24 PM »
Wednesday AM the wind blew the ice to the north shore of Syracuse Lake. By afternoon the lake was 1/3 open. By 5PM the lake was 2/3 open. And by this morning the lake was wide open and no ice in sight.
Chinese Gardens had some ice sludge on it when I drove by tonight.

Offline SuzyQTpie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:23 PM »
You meant NE didn't you?  They always seem to have the best ice.  North central is wide open.  Not sure what NW has.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Quit being doo negative jighead
Dude I'd love to get back out for a few more weeks, just don't think it'll be as soon as others

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Dude I'd love to get back out for a few more weeks, just don't think it'll be as soon as others
I hear ya jighead. I am expecting some fishable....and when I say fishable, I mean 3 inches of clear ice by next weekend. And barring the wind keeping things open I think with the 15 to 20 degree lows at night and the daytime temps staying below freezing except for one day (which is 35) it is feasible to have 3 inches by Saturday morning @). I wear  a striker suit by the way. Wouldnt find me out on 21/2 to 3 without it. Left my spud at a lake last week and now I'm on the hunt for a replacement by next weekend. Its just a frabill chisel one piece. Most places want 18.00 to ship a 20 dollar item lols.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Gas is 2 bucks a gallon I'm going north where there's ice.  :thumbsup:
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline IceBucky

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • DONT SETTLE FIND THE FISH
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Heading north feb3-6.  Setting up basecamp with 12× 12 pop up then chasing  fish with wheelers and shanties. Targeting eyes and perch mainly and sitting in pop up at night for crappie

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2017, 04:52 AM »
I hear ya jighead. I am expecting some fishable....and when I say fishable, I mean 3 inches of clear ice by next weekend. And barring the wind keeping things open I think with the 15 to 20 degree lows at night and the daytime temps staying below freezing except for one day (which is 35) it is feasible to have 3 inches by Saturday morning @). I wear  a striker suit by the way. Wouldnt find me out on 21/2 to 3 without it. Left my spud at a lake last week and now I'm on the hunt for a replacement by next weekend. Its just a frabill chisel one piece. Most places want 18.00 to ship a 20 dollar item lols.
Yep, temps are right now. That wind is gonna be key

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2017, 05:43 PM »
Wind and daylight melted me in central IN.  Some small pockets that don't get wind have skim.  This is gonna be interesting...

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Oh Man....the bird bath is frizz over.....I'm excited. Sheet water in the fields is locked up.  All lakes and ponds still open water however. I'ma hopin'

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.