Author Topic: fish attractant spray on plastics or flys or jigs  (Read 2811 times)

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
fish attractant spray on plastics or flys or jigs
« on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:13 PM »
for those of you that use plastics or flys is anyone using any fish attractants spray or oils of any kind to help entice the bite???mostly curious about using them on soft plastics for gills and crappie.  so what is everyones opinions.  what are you using it on and to catch what

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish attractant spray on plastics or flys or jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:20 PM »
The recipe is a secret  ;) but I'm a believer ;D

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:21 PM »
so since you are NW and im NE i guess you could share with me right ill expect a pm lol :o

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:25 PM »
But I frequent your neck of the woods quite often  ;D

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:32 PM »
oh i doubt that i fish a secret gravel pit with 16 inch gills im just sick of dropping a line down thojugh the attractant i could just spray n my hole and the fish would just swim up out of it.

no on a serious note you obviously use them would you share what for and on what kkind of set up

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:40 PM »
That's MOJO can't be letting that secret out of the bag of tricks. HT would use me for fish structure! :o

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I put my plastics in tiny plastic bags, put a drop of Anise oil in bag. Can't say it helps but have done it for years.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I put my plastics in tiny plastic bags, put a drop of Anise oil in bag. Can't say it helps but have done it for years.
Teach
            A lot of plastics are already scented, cant smell it but says on the package!!

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2015, 03:25 AM »
ya they are alreadyy scented but i was just curious if anyone was adding anything to them

Offline Bang,Bang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:47 AM »
Garlic salt or garlic powder  ;D!!!!!

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:56 AM »
I haven't tried it, but an oldtimer uses WD-40 and does quite well. Sprays it on small flies for gills.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2015, 06:59 AM »
That's MOJO can't be letting that secret out of the bag of tricks. HT would use me for fish structure! :o
LOL, I don't mind sharing! Stinky is talking about MO'GLO Slab Jam by Bobby Garland. It glows, it's real thick so it last a long time, and all fish seem to like it... A lot! I wouldnt be sleeping on the Ity Bity Swim'r as well for the crappie.

Teach, anise oil is used as a cover scent for human oder, which is great, but it's not considered as an "attractant".
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:07 AM »
We all would like to think that scent works,BUT in all honesty I don't know.I use Berkley Panfish,but many times I've just put a Ratso straight out of the pack and done really well.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:20 AM »
LOL, I don't mind sharing! Stinky is talking about MO'GLO Slab Jam by Bobby Garland. It glows, it's real thick so it last a long time, and all fish seem to like it... A lot! I wouldnt be sleeping on the Ity Bity Swim'r as well for the crappie.

Teach, anise oil is used as a cover scent for human oder, which is great, but it's not considered as an "attractant".

MO Glo Slab Jam is the cats meow! I slather in it before every trip now. Was never sold on a stuff like that before but the slab jam had git the right mojo. Gills slam it too.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:32 AM »
fairy dust, voodoo, marketing gimmick, hocus pocus..... ::)
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2015, 07:36 AM »
Found this video showing the two things HT was talking about. Love the action on those!
Watch "Itty Bit Swim’R Ice Crappie" on YouTube
Itty Bit Swim’R Ice Crappie:

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:11 AM »
 :thumbsup: on the scents, whatever you like best.  appeal to as many senses as you can!  adds to attracting and triggering.  firm believer for years! i use many different kinds of stinks. ill have to try some "mo glo" . it amazes me how many people dismiss scent on the ice!

stinky, if you slather in it(mo glow), does that mean you glow at night out on the ice too?  if so, how bright?  if you get naked in the shanty can you light it up in there? what about a bottomless bucket, over a hole.  then you could shine your moon down it to attract the fish!  :o   

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:21 AM »
^^^Lmao. The Cracken strikes again.  Ok, I'll bite.  Been on some crappie lately, where to I get the Magic minnners and the glo joe?  I want one of those 19 inchers to come thru the hole I'm fishing.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Many different opinions about scent in this article....

I've quoted part here....but encourage you to read the whole article....

Gord Pyzer of Kenora, Ontario, is a longtime field editor for In-Fisherman, fishing editor for Outdoor Canada Magazine, and co-host on The Real Fishing Radio Show. He is also an ardent and skillful angler, and he provided the Finesse News Network with a different perspective about scents.

Pyzer wrote: “One of the people I enjoy interviewing the most for magazine features is Dr. Keith A. Jones of Spirit Lake, Iowa, and Director of Research at Berkley Fish Research Center. He received his Ph.D. from the Department of Biology at Texas A&M University, specializing in fish olfactory senses.

He is adamant that fish do not smell, taste, or perceive odours the way we humans do. In fact, they can detect nothing that is oil based. He says you can wash you lure in gasoline and they will not detect it. For fish to smell or taste anything, it must be water soluble. Hence the absolute biggest turn offs for fish are DEET, which is the active ingredient in most insect repellents, and PABA, which is the ingredient in most sunscreens, and both of these elements are water soluble.”

(In addition to Quinn and Pyzer’s comments, anglers can read more about Jones and the Berkley Fish Research Center in Jones’ book entitled “Knowing Bass: the Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish,” which was published by The Lyons Press in 2002.)

Brian Waldman of Coatesville, Indiana, introduced his opinions about the effectiveness of scents by saying that Matt Straw, who is an In-Fisherman field-editor from Brainerd, Minnesota, wrote the magnum opus on scent in an article titled “Scent for Bass: Does It Matter?”  From Waldman’s vast experiences, he has concluded that scent is “a lot like color in that it doesn’t matter, except when it matters, which might likely be only a very small percentage of the time. There are a lot of unknowns, and it’s all a guessing game. I don’t use scent at all, and I haven’t used it for 30 years. Would I have caught a few more fish on a few more trips over those years if I had? Perhaps I would have. But again, the trade-off to me is buying, bringing, using it regularly, spilling, and gumming things — as will as the costs of all those factors — versus taking my chances by not using. My catch rate for the entire year in 2012 was 9.8 bass per hour, and after adopting a few more Midwest Finesse specifics this year, my catch rate is more than 12 bass per hour. How much more would my catch rate have gone up if I used scent regularly? I don’t know, but I’m catching more than enough to not worry about finding out. In other words, I’m satisfied and can live with my current catch rate. It is a choice everyone has to make for themselves based on their own waters and preferences. Yet, I still might toy with it some next year just because I’m curious.”

Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-finesse/scent-for-fishing-scent-update/#ixzz3SfiiXIDM

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:06 AM »
^ interesting!

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I read that article a while back, and was like what? I'm not a fan of the stance where it's like, if you can catch 8 gills with a cane pole or 10 with a spin cast? Or I didn't seem to need it before so why try it now. I love Pyzer, but let's face it, he's fishing places where fish never seen a jig before. Also, if you casted a piece of rubber shad guts and real shad guts out on a hook, what do you think would catch more fish? Lastly, when crappie nibbles came out, my catch rate went threw the roof almost over night. Why?

You can ride your bike, I'll drive a car... Lol

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:47 AM »
:thumbsup: on the scents, whatever you like best.  appeal to as many senses as you can!  adds to attracting and triggering.  firm believer for years! i use many different kinds of stinks. ill have to try some "mo glo" . it amazes me how many people dismiss scent on the ice!

stinky, if you slather in it(mo glow), does that mean you glow at night out on the ice too?  if so, how bright?  if you get naked in the shanty can you light it up in there? what about a bottomless bucket, over a hole.  then you could shine your moon down it to attract the fish!  :o   

Lol! I think the Moonglow name already taken or could of been a money maker!

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:50 AM »
You can ride your bike, I'll drive a car... Lol

I thought you would drive the new Polaris!  LOL!   ;D

We are going to disagree on this until I see hard proof (video would be nice) with certain parameters in place of fish consistently choosing a scented object over a non-scented object.  I have an open mind on this topic but I need some facts.   @)

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:04 AM »

I thought you would drive the new Polaris!  LOL!   ;D

We are going to disagree on this until I see hard proof (video would be nice) with certain parameters in place of fish consistently choosing a scented object over a non-scented object.  I have an open mind on this topic but I need some facts.   @)
Lol! You with your go pro, and me Lake Erie Saturday morning you scent with gasoline I use mo glo and we sit side by side same jig?!? Would be awesome, unless I get my butt kicked! You in?  ;D

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Lol! You with your go pro, and me Lake Erie Saturday morning you scent with gasoline I use mo glo and we sit side by side same jig?!? Would be awesome, unless I get my butt kicked! You in?  ;D

I'm refin this event!! The Mo Glo MOJO Mow Down! I refuse to fish though. Vampire fish scare me!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I'm refin this event!! The Mo Glo MOJO Mow Down! I refuse to fish though. Vampire fish scare me!

You could be the official fish clubber...and I don't mean dancing...lol
Paul

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:59 AM »

I'm game....but why do I have to dunk mine in gas!   You're saying your product increases your catch compared to a guy who uses no scent.   I'll be a stand up guy and fish you both ways.... with out gas and with and see what happens. 

So based on your opinion you should catch more fish than me because of Mo Glo?  And I'm saying there should not be much difference....right?

Jiggin raps....NO BAIT!  You supply the gasoline so there's no "crying foul" if I happen to catch some fish...  ;D

I wasn't planning to go this weekend but I'll see what I can do.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:23 AM »
Forecast doesn't seem too great.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:24 AM »
I'm game....but why do I have to dunk mine in gas!   You're saying your product increases your catch compared to a guy who uses no scent.   I'll be a stand up guy and fish you both ways.... with out gas and with and see what happens. 

So based on your opinion you should catch more fish than me because of Mo Glo?  And I'm saying there should not be much difference....right?

Jiggin raps....NO BAIT!  You supply the gasoline so there's no "crying foul" if I happen to catch some fish...  ;D

I wasn't planning to go this weekend but I'll see what I can do.
Well to be honest "Mo Glo Slab Jam" is a panfish attractant, not marketed to increase catches of walleye. However, it is made of real fish amino acids, and it glows, so it's going to help. The reason you have to dip in gas, is because in the article it says that it doesn't matter, so why not? I personally believe gas smell does matter. I could be wrong, and that's what this trip will assist in clarification. I wasn't planning to go either, but this will be a learning experience I can't pass up! Lol

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Forecast doesn't seem too great.
What are they calling for?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.