Author Topic: Best Ice Suit  (Read 4703 times)

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Ice Suit
« on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I am looking to buy a new jacket/bibs this season,and,have heard a lot of conflicting info about Arctic Armour vs Striker,and clam outer wear. What do the wise men of IS have on the subject.The clothes are expensive and I dont want to buy the wrong one. Is the "floating suit of Arctic Armour really worth the $$.
crankin holes and droppin lines

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Best Ice Suit
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I know the floating suit of Striker is worth the $

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Striker has a cheeper one around $180 per piece,and a more expensive ,around $250 per piece.which one do you like?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:31 PM »
I have the hard water and fish outside most of the time and Never been cold, don't have to wear a lot under this suit either!!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:16 PM »
If it is not a floating suit it should go to the bottom of your list.  No reason not to buy a floater if you are going to buy a new suit.  They are just as warm and light and the same price range. 

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Frabill Snow Suit.

Offline deerhunterkyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:26 PM »
I have been using my bass pro 100 MPH suit for 3 years now. Got it from my uncle who had it 3 years. stands up to the wind and cold real well. but t $500 for a base set up its pricey IMO.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2014, 09:19 PM »
I have the AA, Climate and the Hardwater. Wore out the AA lost its waterproofing tried using the spray to make it water resistant again didn't work so well for me. I'm a bit impatient though so could of been done wrong. Sweat alot in the AA. Not great for breathing but they do make some wick away blue smurf long johns. I then got the Striker Climate last year and liked it better for my needs. A bit heavier more like a Carhart suit in weight and that would be my only complaint if I had to have one. I have size 15 boots and I can put my bibs on over my boots. The bibs have a zip out liner and the jacket liner is another waterproof jacket full functional. Got the Hardwater suit this year so I could have a dry suit for the next day while the other one could dry. It's about the same weight heavier material no liners but still has great zipper placement and I can always unzip a jacket and bibs a bit no big deal. There's no waterproof treating it is waterproof period. Now that doesn't mean it can be used as waders! Lol
I'd go with the Striker brand it's just a better built suit all the way around imo. Most importantly get a floating suit. Better to wear one and never need it than to not have one and it could of saved your life. Not that your going to drown without one. It's tough getting out without help a floating suit will assist you in getting out. Dead weight vs floating weight way easier to get out.

Offline Musky50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:11 AM »
This thread is perfect timing for me. I am also currently in the market for a new ice fishing suit and have narrowed it down to AA or Striker. For those of you wearing Striker, what did you go with and why.... Predator, Hardwater or Climate?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:32 AM »
This thread is perfect timing for me. I am also currently in the market for a new ice fishing suit and have narrowed it down to AA or Striker. For those of you wearing Striker, what did you go with and why.... Predator, Hardwater or Climate?

Was originally going with the Predator for its light weight...for my early and late season outings ...they didn't have my size in the bibs so went with the Climate . I steered clear of the Hardwater suit ...because of its Carhart feel (as stated by Strikers website ) . The Strikers are very well thought out designed suits ...pockets ...ventilation zippers .

The AA suits do not breathe so could get to be a sauna

good video

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Thanks for sharing that HD....really good information on the suits!  :thumbsup:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:08 AM »
If it is not a floating suit it should go to the bottom of your list.  No reason not to buy a floater if you are going to buy a new suit.  They are just as warm and light and the same price range.
                                                              I'll second this response!!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:22 AM »
I went with the striker lite.  I wear it all winter and very rarely fish inside a fish house.  I've been out for a few hours at -5 with some wind and only my hands and feet were cold.  I think it's an awesome suite and breathes very well.  This will be my third season with it and I have a feeling the crotch is going to rip on the pants it as it looks a little worn now.  I'm always up and down hole hopping though.  My jacket - shows no sign of wear at all.  I wear it fishing into crappy May days as well and have worn it on windy rainy nights in the fall.   It is a floating suit so it is a little bulky but that hasn't slowed me down or bothered me at all.  Personally I think it's a terrible time of year to look.  I picked up my jacket for $75 and bibs for $125 mid spring!  Hope this helps.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:38 AM »
I have the climate suit. I love the jacket but the bibs I hate knees leak and the inseam adjustment is impossible to figure out. I'm going to get the hard water bibs.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:44 AM »
I have the Striker hardwater and love the suit.  As others stated it's very warm and you don't need to be in a shanty that much.  Lots of pockets are a plus.  Also the armpits are vented.  I have had times where I was walking a ways and you can unzip the armpit vents and unzip the sides of the bibs on your legs down a bit.  It cuts out on some of the sweating while walking.  All in all a very nice suit.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2014, 09:00 AM »
X2 on the Striker Hardwater suit.  very warm, lots of pockets, etc, read the reviews.  The biggest thing for me was the ice here in Indiana isn't always the best...  I guess if i do happen to go in sometime, i know i will float.  I tested the suit in the summer, trust me it works!  I just with they made striker suits for all my gear!

Offline Eye Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I just sold my arctic armor plus suit i had for 6 years and bought a new camo suit. The plus suit i had for 6 years almost looked like new and i go ice fishing a lot. The arctic armor is lightweight but very warm. Never had a stryker but have no reason to, love my arctic armor! 

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Thank You guys,Your insight on this is very helpful. I dont mind spending the money on quality,but I dont want to be disappointed in the end either.looks like Striker hardwater is going to be my choice.Is there anywhere local to buy,Im right in middle of Ft.Wayne and So.Bend.

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Thank You guys,Your insight on this is very helpful. I dont mind spending the money on quality,but I dont want to be disappointed in the end either.looks like Striker hardwater is going to be my choice.Is there anywhere local to buy,Im right in middle of Ft.Wayne and So.Bend.
Hey Ridingerboy, I'm in between Milford and Syracuse, and i couldn't find anyone local that carries them.  i got mine online from striker's website http://www.strikerstore.com/store/c/20-Striker-ICE.aspx

you won't be disappointed with this suit - absolutely love mine!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:51 PM »

Two things ...sizing matters ...contact Striker Ice ref your measurements ..try Email and Calling ...also Gander Mtn now has Striker suits on there website...ship to store(may be home too) ...and may be able to use code GMT10 or other code for some savings. They also added some more color options that weren't  available last year ..think Red in the Climate not certain of the other one .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:12 PM »
Hey Ridingerboy, I'm in between Milford and Syracuse, and i couldn't find anyone local that carries them.  i got mine online from striker's website http://www.strikerstore.com/store/c/20-Striker-ICE.aspx

you won't be disappointed with this suit - absolutely love mine!
Bean Counter,I am located just south of North Webster,thanks for the link.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:18 PM »
I have had all kinds, salus for early and late season, arctic armour for the real cold.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2014, 09:26 PM »

Pro tackle outfitters the sponsor of our board carries striker and I believe he will order what you want and you can try it on to make sure it fits.  See his logo at the top of the page.  Support your local tackle shops when you can or there will be none left.

Offline ridingerboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Pro tackle outfitters the sponsor of our board carries striker and I believe he will order what you want and you can try it on to make sure it fits.  See his logo at the top of the page.  Support your local tackle shops when you can or there will be none left.
Well said Waxy,as a small business owner myself,I always try to use the little guy.I will be in touch with Jim at PTO today.

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:25 PM »
its an hour and 15 min. one way for me, PTO has show-in the interest in us (shanty heads ) Ill support them as much as I can thanks much PTO.
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:56 PM »
I have the AA suit and love it!  I spent some below zero nights last year on the lake and the cold was not a factor......not at all. Its almost too warm....just dress light under it

Offline DannyBoy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2014, 10:01 PM »
My striker suit is incredible. Handy rag that velcros to the coat. D rings to clasp clippers, ice picks etc. Very warm and floatable. Lets face if you fall through the ice you need all the help you can get, this should be a purchase for anyone who is on the hardwater.     

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about the Striker. I talked to a guy on Maxi who was wearing only a pair of jeans and a hooded sweatshirt under his and it was in the 20's and the wind was gusting over 40mph.  He said he was very comfortable. Of course that could have been from all the exercise he got from rounding up all his gear after the wind made it look like a yard sale.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 03, 2014, 02:50 PM »
I have the striker climate suit and the first thing I did was remove the bib liners and also the zip out jacket. I like my current under layers, under armor with Cabelas thermal zone stand hunter over top, then this shell shell. If they sell a model that doesn't have the zip out stuff in it I would go with that. I tried it on in the Franks last year before I bought it and literally roasted in jeans and a sweatshirt with it on in the store for 5 minutes. I like having the liners as an option, but if you like covering some ground(swiss cheesing) then you will only want the shell.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Musky50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 03, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input regarding AA and Striker suits........very helpful! I would much rather talk to the guys who are wearing them on the ice versus the guy in the store selling the product. I am going with the Striker Hardwater. Now to do some research on a power auger...............

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.