Author Topic: Stone / LaPorte  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Stone / LaPorte
« on: Dec 24, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Fished the north end this morning (just out from the beach) from 06:30 - 11:00. Ranged from 10' to 28' of water. Relatively slow. Caught a dozen or so small perch and 1 bluegill. I was hoping to get into some crappie but no such luck.

I saw 3 or 4 guys at the south end early but they didn't stay to long... my guess is no action. There were also a few guys that went just west of the beach but I didn't see them doing much better.

Good luck. Merry Christmas.
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline rgeyer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Stone / LaPorte
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2005, 02:45 PM »
hey jeff ive never fished pine or clear any suggeustions??? taking my boy out monday wanting to get into somthing!  keep me posted would ya?

panfishman43

« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Fished the north end this morning (just out from the beach) from 06:30 - 11:00. Ranged from 10' to 28' of water. Relatively slow. Caught a dozen or so small perch and 1 bluegill. I was hoping to get into some crappie but no such luck.

I saw 3 or 4 guys at the south end early but they didn't stay to long... my guess is no action. There were also a few guys that went just west of the beach but I didn't see them doing much better.

Good luck. Merry Christmas.

I hope this rain we just got didn't eat up too much ice. I haven't gotten a chance to get out yet and I'm Chomping at the Bit, as the saying goes

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:17 AM »
rgeyer~
I've never fished Clear but I'm told it's pretty much a bowl with a deeper hole in the SW corner.

Although I've fished Stone I've never "mastered" it. For ice fishing, I tend to start about 50 yards or so west of the public boat launch. I've found some crappies there before where the drop off is. Another place is straight out from the boat launch. Sometimes the fish will stack on the shelf as is gets deeper. Although I've never had good luck, I know other guys have gotten into perch & crappie in the deep hole in the NE corner (basically splitting the difference between the beach and the dock system where the boat rental place is). I've never fished other spots than those during the winter.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Jeff

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2005, 06:16 AM »
32 perch, 22' of water, between the beach pavillion and the boat docks, spikes, #12 moon glow jig, vexilar and plenty of looking.  Of the 32, 5 were keepers.

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2005, 12:21 PM »
Nice job Doc. At least you had better action than I did. Doc, I've seen you post perch catches from this area of the lake before. Do you see this corner as being better for perch with crappie on the south end? Looking for insight... Thanks. Jeff

Offline FOOTDOC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Jeffro, I wish I could tell you.  I live almost in the middle of the valpo chain so I do not spend much time on Stone.  One or two times per year and I am always torn whether to fish stone or pine.  Anyway, two new years eves ago, it was still soft water and I was dying to fish.  I launched at Stone and drifted all over the place.  There was a west wind and it blew me into that bay area I like and it was non stop perch.  These were nice perch, 8-10" and bigger.  I ended up with 47 on minnows and had a feast for new year's day.  So, I always try there because that is where I want the fish to be but the fish don't always want to be there.  Actually, it is funny you asked because last year, I launched in the fall and caught a handful of crappies in my perch area.  Go figure. I have had fun icing at Stone, especially since I got a power auger.  I like to go west of the boat launch and drill 15 holes 10 or so paces apart and then go back and search.  I always am able to get a couple of suspended fish.  In the soft water months, it is tough.  I have had several retired patients tell me about their glory days of perch fishing on pine.  Anyway, we need to just keep searching as I am sure the fish are there and that makes it all the more fun.  Enjoy and happy new year!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.