Author Topic: salamonie reservoir  (Read 2523 times)

Offline casey

• IceShanty Rookie
salamonie reservoir
« on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:57 AM »
    don't know how many of you ice nuts ever fished salamonie but there has been alot of big crappie caught this fall. with recent rains it is high and muddy and probably won't be fishable for a while. crappie were running 11-15 in. a big improvement over the last few years.

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
Re: salamonie reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2005, 08:00 AM »
I have heard that there is good fishing there but glad to hear some recent reports of good fish...I haven't ice fished it yet
jlc
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline casey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:15 AM »
    forgot to mention the gills they've been catching there also. they are running 7-8 1/2 not monsters but if you find them you'll sure get a mess of good eating.

Offline livin4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:33 AM »
Be VERY careful if you try to ice fish Salamonie.  The water level changes there a LOT.  Nothing worse than getting on the ice and finding the water a foot below the bottom of the ice.  I live withing a few miles of Salamonie and I won't ice fish it.

Livin

Offline weidner21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2005, 02:05 PM »
i live close to the sal and i ice fish it every yr about 3 times a week and have never found any gaps between the ice and water...i usually do really well on crappie and gills around monument island...the water there is also only 3'.5"....also get alot of crappie out of pirates cove but that water is deep but still have never found any dangerous areas.

Offline jimmbobb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:35 PM »
I've done well at times at Salamonie at the flats just North of the modern campgrounds. Not a lot of big crappie, but good numbers of 7-9 inch fish with usually a few 11-12 inchers as well. I haven't experienced the water being below the ice line but have heard the story enough from different fishermen to believe it can happen. Be careful driving down on the flats until the ground is completely frozen, especially if you are by yourself.  My dog and I had a long walk to the nearest phone last year.

Offline weidner21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:13 AM »
went to some ponds around the sal today and drilled some holes to see how thick the ice is and all were running around 3" so i will probably give it one more night and ill be out there tomorrow

Offline rosey85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:45 PM »
I'll be on the ponds around salamonie and huntington reservoirs this weekend also.  Looks like the weather's good for at least this week. 

Offline scot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:50 AM »
    don't know how many of you ice nuts ever fished salamonie but there has been alot of big crappie caught this fall. with recent rains it is high and muddy and probably won't be fishable for a while. crappie were running 11-15 in. a big improvement over the last few years.

I was on it 12-20-05 and we caught a bunch of dinks 6"-8" was all that we caught.

Offline scot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:55 AM »
I live less than 1 mile from the salamonie and I haver seen the pockets below the ice. I have fished it for years. But I have seen standing water on it.

Offline PlasticFish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2005, 06:36 AM »
Scot.... crooked is still a bust, C.G. said Goose has 5 or so inches on it now and Robinsin picked up another inch.   S. Indiana looks like they got perfact Ice fishin weather.  lookin out on my way to TN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.