The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Putting on a ice fishing derby  (Read 1193 times)

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
Putting on a ice fishing derby
« on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Was wondering if there is anyone on here that holds or has put together a derby have been thinking about it last few years and would like to put a small one together and had few questions and maybe find some good advice.
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Putting on a ice fishing derby
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Was wondering if there is anyone on here that holds or has put together a derby have been thinking about it last few years and would like to put a small one together and had few questions and maybe find some good advice.

Don't do it!

If you want to ask us a few questions about how derbies work or what goes into them call us at the shop. 207-783-0388.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Does ifw support derbies specifically as management tools or would they rather see them go away?  The only reason I ask is some examples and reports from ifw specifically cite derbies like sebago and moose head as a way to see how the fisheries are doing.  Maybe this gives an opportunity for derbies in places where the state could use status updates? Just a thought

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Does ifw support derbies specifically as management tools or would they rather see them go away?  The only reason I ask is some examples and reports from ifw specifically cite derbies like sebago and moose head as a way to see how the fisheries are doing.  Maybe this gives an opportunity for derbies in places where the state could use status updates? Just a thought

I can tell you that they were awesome to deal with last year, for our little derby did on Little Sebago. Very helpful and accommodating. They were very happy to see another derby and mostly it was about getting fisherman/fisherwoman with their families out on the ice. They do like, like kind fish stocked, as we were stocking some rainbows. A lot of work though, but crazy and fun.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Thank you everyone for responses. At some point I'll be in and use your offer dags. Thank you. I know there is alot of work that goes into it. I have a huge passion for ice derbies probably has something to do with  mix of my love for ice fishing and my competitiveness lol. It has brought myself friends and family great times together which is hard to find with our busy schedules now a days. The problem I see is scheduling they all seem to run into each other on dates which I understand with limited time then the free fishing days seem to gather most derbies on that weakened.

Also does anyone know if there is a program out there that is helping introduce children into the outdoors such as hunting ,fishing , camping and such.
       Thanks again for your time.

Offline Jack Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Jackman, is having their first derby in years on January 17, 18, 2015.  I am organizing it.  Still working on getting prizes but coming along good.  Looks like it will be the first in the state.  Proceeds will be going to the Border Riders Club.  Come on up!

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:57 PM »
We put on a ice fishing derby every year for a scholarship for two students graduating and going on to collage.    this link might give you some ideas  as to what we are doing.  This derby covers all legal
lakes and ponds in Hancock County.
https://www.facebook.com/SlimsFishingDerby

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Sounds great are going to look into both of them. Thank you for your replies.

Offline MDI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:19 PM »

Also does anyone know if there is a program out there that is helping introduce children into the outdoors such as hunting ,fishing , camping and such.

Boy Scouts (some programs include girls... Venturing?) and Girl Scouts do most of those.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:08 AM »

Hooked on fishing is an IFW run program. https://www1.maine.gov/ifw/education/hofnod/index.htm
Iv'e done a bit in the past with this organization with various events and activities. They are only a phone call away and can be a great resource for personnel and equipment.
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.