The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Invasive species  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Invasive species
« on: Feb 27, 2016, 07:50 AM »
   Has anyone heard of how the control of carp and suckers has been managed by the G&F? Carp tear up spawning grounds, eat the eggs of good fish and stink up the banks.  ???

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Invasive species
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:42 AM »
   Has anyone heard of how the control of carp and suckers has been managed by the G&F? Carp tear up spawning grounds, eat the eggs of good fish and stink up the banks.  ???

When it is done:

Carp with rotenone

Suckers with rotenone or in a couple instances tiger musky

ClearCreek

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Musky can be effective on sucker population that is one techniques that the game and fish are starting to use in some areas that they can be utilized.

Offline avidoutdoor24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2016, 06:00 PM »
The G&F allows me to stick em with my bows..........Muahahah ahaha

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:29 AM »
   Why would G&F poison Pathfinder ,Alcova or Glendo and kill all of the good fish to get rid of carp? All you spear chukers I salute you! ??? ;D

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:58 AM »
   Why would G&F poison Pathfinder ,Alcova or Glendo and kill all of the good fish to get rid of carp? All you spear chukers I salute you! ??? ;D

Kinkyline:

It would not only be prohibitively expensive to chemically treat the reservoirs you mentioned, but logistically it would be nearly impossible.  Plus, the chances of a successful (getting rid of all carp and suckers) would be zero.

Bottom line: It ain'ta a gonna happen"

ClearCreek

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:52 PM »
   Then why is G&F worried about a few stray minnows Clear Creek?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2016, 05:13 PM »
   Then why is G&F worried about a few stray minnows Clear Creek?

Kinkyline:

I think I answered your question in my last response, but here goes................

There are probably numerous reasons, but the most obvious one would be those "few stray minnows" could create large populations of unwanted fish that would compete with gamefish for food, space, etc.   And, if these "few stray minnows" were in the right waters then the expense to get rid of them would be prohibitive and it may not be even possible to get rid of them.

There are hundreds, actually thousands, of instances where good sport fish populations have been altered or totally ruined by the introduction of an unwanted fish species.  In some cases waters can be treated with chemicals (rotenone or antimycin A) and the sport fish population brought back.  But, there are other cases where very little or nothing can be done and sport fish anglers have lost great opportunities.   

I want my fishing license money and the federal aid money that G&F gets spent on things like fish surveys, habitat improvements and stocking fish not purchasing thousands of dollars of chemicals to get rid of an unwanted fish population that was started by somebody moving "minnows" around.

Hope that answers your question.

ClearCreek

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Well then next question on the minnow issue is. Every time wild or state I have a piece of paper in my pocket. I'm checked and due to that piece of paper the bait dealers give me and they have education that the wild caught are correct and state is a given. So if its been verified by an educated individual, why can't I take them with me. If you ask about the random minnow coming from somewhere else. That's the bait bucket individual that is going to do it anyway so how are you going to stop that person? In my opinion just make it the same. Good way to regulate and could conduct good surveys on where you are getting the minnows.

Flathead minnow? There is a different kind, ? I didn't know so I, looked it up but a flathead is a flathead? So is there some genetic difference? Between Alcove and Glendo or Semino? Anyone know?
No one left behind.     

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2016, 07:40 AM »
   How do you stop bait fish or invasives from coming from out of state? The Dakotas don't have a ridiculous minnow reg. and they have great fisheries.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2016, 01:26 PM »
no live bait

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2016, 07:22 AM »
  = no fish

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:32 AM »
No reason in the world we can't catch and use live bait in the south west region

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2016, 09:26 AM »
No reason at all.  Until someone who thinks he's smarter that the F&G decides to improve the fishery at some lake by planting some new species of baitfish.  After all it will make things better.... Right?  Until they grow too big, or get too plentiful, or eat something that the gamefish need to grow past a certain size, or ....

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Hence the idea of catching and using the same bait that's already in the area. No reason that shouldn't be allowed.

Offline mobilerat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:41 AM »
The penalty for illegal introduction should be cost of removal regardless  if it is ten dollars or 10 million. Seize every asset of a few people and some will think twice about dropping those perch in a lake they think they can manage better than professionals. I think that when game and fish fines someone 100k and it makes the news people pay attention. Yes some people have no assets so that threat would not work against them.The Ling disaster on the green river is proof enough that transportation of any live fish should be outlawed  to lessen the chance of another introduction. Living in Cheyenne we have poor access to legal minnows and we still catch fish.

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2016, 01:26 PM »
When I lived in Cheyenne i would trap my bait back in the trees and fish of the damn and tore the walleye and channel cats up fishing off the damn kept it secret and skunked everyone I seen even the boats.. never did try north crow bet you could beat the record splake with live bait

Offline icingeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I say put it on an election ballot. The lakes belong to the people of the state and the country. The government works for the tax payer. Majority wins.
I fish ND, SD, and Mont. Why don't they have these problems. Just another ticket from our G&F

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2016, 04:05 PM »
I say put it on an election ballot. The lakes belong to the people of the state and the country. The government works for the tax payer. Majority wins.
I fish ND, SD, and Mont. Why don't they have these problems. Just another ticket from our G&F

All three of the states you mention DO have problems with people moving fish around.  Good example in northern pike in Montana.

They spend a lot of money (fishing license monies) to rehabilitate waters (where they can, some waters are too big and once the unwanted fish gets into the system there is no turning it around) so sport fish populations can be re-established.   

ClearCreek

Offline mobilerat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2016, 04:25 PM »
I fish ND, SD, and Mont. Why don't they have these problems.
They all have illegal introduction issues you just choose to ignore them.

Just another ticket from our G&F
[/quote       
Majority got us obama hows that working out.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2016, 08:29 PM »

I don't think you want to get rid of them completely... but carp have a bad habit of overpopulating and taking over lakes.  There is a lake I follow in Utah that has an endangered species of sucker and the government has to have a plan to get rid of the carp because it will improve the suckers chances at breeding... They are contracting a company to do netting operations through the ice ... the company sells the carp to fertilizer / cat food companies I believe.  Anyhow... carp minnows are a staple for walleye and catfish... really good food source for them.

As far as livebait goes I think you can still catch a lot of fish without it.... just got to get out of your comfort zone using live bait and have some confidence in lures / plastics.

Offline 307bassomatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:30 PM »
I agree with gem city.  Some of the plastics available to us anglers these days are amazing.  A 6 dollar bag of gulp minnows will last several fishing trips, and my personal best is 16 walleye on a single gulp minnow at glendo last year (come to think of it...only reason I lost it was a snag!).  An occasional dip back into the liquid they come in and you are back in buisness.  On the other hand I can go through 6 bucks in minnows pretty quick at times.  It is easy to get into a rut, but being willing to try out new baits and go outside the box is what keeps it interesting...and can sometimes pay big dividends in the fish box!.  Enough for now, time to go check the boat batteries!  Tight lines y'all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.