Author Topic: Hand auger question  (Read 1883 times)

Offline 97cougar

• IceShanty Rookie
Hand auger question
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:21 AM »
I have a used, Mora, 8" hand auger with blades that are very sharp but it still does not cut well.  The auger came in a package deal with a used rifle that I bought so I took it.  I would like to be able to use it.  Is it possible that the blade angle is wrong, possibly by someone "banging" it on the ice or in the back of a truck or something like that?  If so will it be possible to correct?  I was thinking of loosening the blade screws and putting a shim of maybe 0.020" thick under the blade to see if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hand auger question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:28 AM »
How do you know they are sharp??

I bought a used fin bore and it supposedly had brand new blades ....  they appeared to be sharp but it wouldn't cut at all ....  careful inspection showed a couple of nicks and that was all it took

you should be able to exchange them at 307
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Travis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Bait?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:32 AM »
I agree. I would put NEW blades on or exchange them (if you want to wait) first. Any little knick or ding will ruin them. Worst case you will have an extra set. But I would ALMOST bet thats the problem.
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day.  But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline 97cougar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:33 AM »
They are sharp enough so that I do not want to run a finger across them with any pressure applied for fear of slicing one open.  That is how I determined they are sharp.  It seems that would be sharp enough to cut ice, no?

Offline 97cougar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:33 AM »
I will give a new set a try.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:44 AM »
They are sharp enough so that I do not want to run a finger across them with any pressure applied for fear of slicing one open.  That is how I determined they are sharp.  It seems that would be sharp enough to cut ice, no?

probably not ......

the nick on my blade was about halfway up the blade .... it would cut the first half inch or so of ice then just start wobbling ....  the blades felt very sharp to me

i bought new ones and am going to do an exchange with the old ones so i have a backup
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 AM »
cant say from my personal experience, but my friend and fishin buddy has mora brand and said he let some one use his one time and they guy changed his angle of attack mid-stream and it ruined it. said it would not cut right any more (any mora hehe). he was using one of my extra lazers for two seasons and said they cut way better than mora, like nite and day. im on my 5th season on same blades on both lazer augers and cuts like first day. i have extra blades for them for when it gives me problems. i use 24v hammer drill to turn them into power augers. throws ice about 15" from hole and can break your wrist if your not careful.
he takes his mora with him when he goes alone and if we catch up with each other its odd to watch it try to cut with same drill. it gets thru, but takes its time doing it and drains his batteries much faster than mine.

Offline Wilb3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:17 PM »
I have a used, Mora, 8" hand auger with blades that are very sharp but it still does not cut well.  The auger came in a package deal with a used rifle that I bought so I took it.
I would just go with a new set. Eskimo, Mora, and BassPro 8" blades are interchangeble.  I found out today.  But none of the marketers would ever tell us! :-X
Ice fishing is a subculture, one wouldn't understand until they experienced it...

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I bought Eskimo blades that fit my 6 inch Mora on EBAY.

Back of package says MADE IN CHINA. They work Ok but I am going to switch back to the original Moras and see if there is a difference.

I sent the originals to Anglers Point in Mich to get sharpened. Turn around was less than a week.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:40 PM »
I bought Eskimo blades that fit my 6 inch Mora on EBAY.

Back of package says MADE IN CHINA. They work Ok but I am going to switch back to the original Moras and see if there is a difference.

I sent the originals to Anglers Point in Mich to get sharpened. Turn around was less than a week.

There is a huge difference. Mora "made in Sweden" are 100X better blades than Eskimo BPS or HT's Chinese crap.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Don't let anyone use my auger, if they need a hole I'll drill it for them.  Seen too many guys drag their auger on ice and get snow on blades and freeze up, then they will bang it on the ice to get it to cut.  Guard is on it before I leave the ice, same blades for 3-4 yrs, I fish most every day!

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:04 PM »
There is a huge difference. Mora "made in Sweden" are 100X better blades than Eskimo BPS or HT's Chinese crap.

That is just what I was getting at. I got stuck with the eskimos before I knew they were chineeeesssse.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:11 PM »
im on my 5th season on same blades on both lazer augers and cuts like first day.

:o Wow-- I can't get more than ONE season with my 6" Lazer, swedish blades too... I run a cordless rig also, and baby my auger.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:57 PM »
X2 on trying new blades

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2013, 04:55 AM »
Definitely get new blades. Very find line between sharp and sharp.

WS

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Year 4 on my Lazer's blades also - still cuts fine (though admittedly not quite as nice as they did when new).

I'll probably pick up a new set next season and send these off to get sharpened. 

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2013, 03:09 PM »
The only thing my 8" Mora is good for is collecting dust. After I switched to Lazer all my auger problems were gone.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Most blades get "dulled" from laying a wet auger in snow and the snow freezing on the blades, then you or whoever uses it next bangs the blades on the ice so it will cut again, might just as well buy new blades!!

Offline hntfsh09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:51 PM »
The Mora, in my experience, cuts harder but slightly faster than the Lazer.  I have seen blades go bad over time, but check to see if they are Chinese.  Not sure if this was a problem with the Mora but I know the Lazers came with crappy blades for one year, getting swedish replacements can make a world of difference. 

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2013, 07:25 PM »
I changed out the Chineeseee blades today. I felt they were making to much work out of things. It was all this old body could stand to drill three holes in a row. The holes looked wavy and always had a sharp edge on the bottom. I noticed that the edge of the blades did not look sharp but kind of chipped when I pulled them.

Long story made short. WOW was it easier with the sharpend 25 year old MORA blades than the new Chineesee blades. The hole was a smooth cylinder with non sharp edge at the bottom.

You can bet I will make sure I end up with true Mora blades if I buy replacement blades again

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.