Author Topic: Standard 2 stroke oil vs synthetic oil ratios  (Read 21702 times)

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
Re: Standard 2 stroke oil vs synthetic oil ratios
« Reply #30 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I understand, they still don't ever say 100:1 of anything is OK,  but the REAL question remains what is the risk/reward of 100:1 with your auger?

Saber isn't for outboards thats a whole different blend of oil.
Bruster

Offline GoBucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Id stick with what the manufacturer of your auger says.  On all of my chainsaws and leafblowers I mix them at 50:1 and am yet to grenade an engine.
There is nothing wrong with mixing it at 40:1 or even 32:1.  A little extra oil is better than not enough and Id rathar foul a sparkplug that to grenade an engine.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Todays synthetics are blended to run this lean while still providing max protection.  I know guys that been running 80-1 in old Jiffys and Strikemasters for 15-20 years and their augers run great yet. A few I fish with run theirs at 100-1 and got 4-5 hard seasons on theirs with no problems. Opti 2 in the foil packs are to be mixed to 1 gal of gas that also gives you a 100-1 mix or close to it. As for outboards all are oil injected so no matter the oil your motors computer or injection system moniters the fuel/oil mix. I run all my 2 strokes on Amsoil, sled, boats, augers and next oil change my truck. Cheaper to run it on a once a year or 18-24,000 mile change than doing Dyno every 3-5K.

Offline GoBucky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Todays synthetics are blended to run this lean while still providing max protection.  I know guys that been running 80-1 in old Jiffys and Strikemasters for 15-20 years and their augers run great yet. A few I fish with run theirs at 100-1 and got 4-5 hard seasons on theirs with no problems. Opti 2 in the foil packs are to be mixed to 1 gal of gas that also gives you a 100-1 mix or close to it. As for outboards all are oil injected so no matter the oil your motors computer or injection system moniters the fuel/oil mix. I run all my 2 strokes on Amsoil, sled, boats, augers and next oil change my truck. Cheaper to run it on a once a year or 18-24,000 mile change than doing Dyno every 3-5K.
Im personally not a fan of Amsoil because it doesnt have enough film strength, which leaves the crank bearings dry at startup.  Id take Klotz over Amsoil any day.
Also, if you are going to run it in your truck, keep a close eye on your oil level.  I used to run Amsoil in my truck and the oil level will drop over time.  Im personally not a fan of extended drain intervals because you need to change the oil fairly often in order to drain the oil out of your engine, but to each their own.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:41 PM »
If ya go right below this reply and click on Amsoil 2 stroke oils you can answer a lot of questions that you might have.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

timberdoodle

« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:27 PM »
I understand, they still don't ever say 100:1 of anything is OK,  but the REAL question remains what is the risk/reward of 100:1 with your auger?

Amsoil says it all the time...thats why they call it 100:1 oil. Do you seriously think that if mixing amsoil 100:1 in a two stroke that says 32:1 or something similar blew up motors they would still be in business. I highly doubt it Amsoil has been in the oil business a long time and will be for a long time to come. I have been running 100:1 Saber Outboard in my 25hp Johnson for 3 years now..with a better starting motor, cleaner running, more top end and just a generally smoother running engine. If it ever blows up I will come back here and eat my words...Synthetics are much better than conventional oil hands down.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Plenty of guys do run the Amsoil @ 100:1.

I never said synthetic wasn't great. I use it in everything, however the fact remains if you blow a motor up using 100:1 Amsoil in most every instance the manufacture is going to tell you "sorry". With oil being so cheap (most oil anyway, last time I looked at Amzoil it was close to 2X$ Pennzoil 100% synthetic) and the manufactures suggesting ratios they know are safe there is just no reward for the risk. I run 50:1 Pennzoil 100% synthetic in all my 2 strokes. 

Amsoil says it all the time...thats why they call it 100:1 oil. Do you seriously think that if mixing amsoil 100:1 in a two stroke that says 32:1 or something similar blew up motors they would still be in business. I highly doubt it Amsoil has been in the oil business a long time and will be for a long time to come. I have been running 100:1 Saber Outboard in my 25hp Johnson for 3 years now..with a better starting motor, cleaner running, more top end and just a generally smoother running engine. If it ever blows up I will come back here and eat my words...Synthetics are much better than conventional oil hands down.
Bruster

timberdoodle

« Reply #37 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Here's a link to the Amsoil Warranty https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1363.pdf I think you find that if you blow up a motor with Amsoil, used in the proper appication, which has not happened ever that I am aware of and neither is Amsoil, they will cover the damages. Here's another one of Amsoil's warranties plus the Magnuson-Moss Act. https://www.amsoil.com/magnuson_moss.aspx  I'm not saying that synthetics or Amsoil is the end-all-be-all of oils but I think you will find any reputible manufacture that makes claims like theirs will stand behind their products. I just think you guys are worried for nothing. I'll continue to run 100:1 for the power benifits and the cleanliness. Plus the ease of mixing one can of gas for all my 2 strokes.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:50 PM »
It could be, however I am not aware of any major 2 stroke manufacture BRP, Mercury Yamaha stating 100:1 is OK with Saber. If it says so in your manual I would say OK, otherwise I would follow to the letter what the manual states. Again what is the risk/reward of this oil??

My Yamaha outboard calls for a 100:1 premix from the factory, stamped right on the motor. I run Amsoil Sabre Outboard at 70:1 in my outboards and it burns tons cleaner and leaves less carbon than Yamalube at 100:1. If you don't want to run a 100:1 ratio with a full synthetic you don't have to, it will still burn a lot cleaner than the dino oil.

Saber isn't for outboards thats a whole different blend of oil.

Sabre "Professional" is NOT for outboard motors but Sabre "Outboard" is for 2-stroke outboards that require a Premix. HP Injecter is for oil injected outboards.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Why don't you run your Yamaha @ 100:1 with your Amsoil?

My Yamaha outboard calls for a 100:1 premix from the factory, stamped right on the motor. I run Amsoil Sabre Outboard at 70:1 in my outboards and it burns tons cleaner and leaves less carbon than Yamalube at 100:1. If you don't want to run a 100:1 ratio with a full synthetic you don't have to, it will still burn a lot cleaner than the dino oil.

Sabre "Professional" is NOT for outboard motors but Sabre "Outboard" is for 2-stroke outboards that require a Premix. HP Injecter is for oil injected outboards.
Bruster

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:03 PM »
Id stick with what the manufacturer of your auger says.  On all of my chainsaws and leafblowers I mix them at 50:1 and am yet to grenade an engine.
There is nothing wrong with mixing it at 40:1 or even 32:1.  A little extra oil is better than not enough and Id rather foul a sparkplug that to grenade an engine.
To much oil is no good either,It makes a thicker fuel ,and causes less fuel to flow through small carb jets.Therefore runs leaner.Oil is not everything to a two stroke,if it does not have the right air /fuel ratio ,it will eat any piston.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:34 AM »
No, mixing oil at 32:1 vs 50:1 will not make the fuel measurably thicker, so that it would have any change on fuel flow thru the jets.

Additional dino oil will lead to an increase in smoke and carbon deposits. Additional synthetic pretty much passes thru the engine as a black oil film.
I've seen 2 strokes run with dino oil that have so much carbon buildup in the exhaust cavity/muffler that they will only idle or some will not run at all.

To much oil is no good either,It makes a thicker fuel ,and causes less fuel to flow through small carb jets.Therefore runs leaner.
Bruster

Offline Skidway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Hey guys my experience with Amsoil Saber is this I am equipment manager for a golf course in northern mi. we have 6 string trimmers of various makes 2 chainsaws 6 hovering mowers 2 edgers 6 backpack blowers and other misc. 2cycle equipment. I have been using saber for several years now without 1 lube related failure or piston issue. that being said these machines are used in harsh eviroment usally by teenage or slightly older kids!! all equipment are comercial versions and are not cheap by any means. I have had machines misfueled meaning straight gas ran and stalled, I pulled the spark plug added a few drops of oil got the engine freed up drained fuel refilled restarted sent back out on course!! Just my experiance. Tight lines! Skidway           

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.