Author Topic: rod and/or spring bobber for 1/100 and 1/200 ounce jigs  (Read 8699 times)

Offline johnsonaaro

• IceShanty Rookie
HI all,
Looking for a new combo for the season that will be good for the smallest jigs i have.
I'm a big fan of gill pills and ratsos and the smallest size in each are in that 1/200 ounce range.
Are there any noodles out there that will load up enough to see negative bites with this small of a jig?

or spring bobber rods that will work well for this size range?

I know the super ultralight ticklestick is rated for this but most ice rods dont list a weight rating

thanks for the help!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: rod and/or spring bobber for 1/100 and 1/200 ounce jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2016, 09:00 AM »
the top 3 rods. just the drag has different colors to help you know which set up your grabbing.
http://www.anglingproshop.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-ice-rods

Strike Indicator Salmo LAVSNOD 215-05. or you tube how to make your own from plastic bottles so you have the one you like the most. the pros use these.
http://www.anglingproshop.com/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-strike-indicators

stroft gtm line in a 1.5# line
http://www.lostcreekflies.com/shop/search/stroft

or if you want to use what ever your favorite rod is, just add these. you can see them breath on your bait with them. these adjust to different weights and clip on/off. so these are the most versatile indicator you can buy for many different rods.
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Frabill-Titanium-Spring-Bobber

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Frabill Titanium Spring Bobber! My only complaint is that I wish they also made it with a green bead.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2016, 10:22 PM »
HI all,
Looking for a new combo for the season that will be good for the smallest jigs i have.
I'm a big fan of gill pills and ratsos and the smallest size in each are in that 1/200 ounce range.
Are there any noodles out there that will load up enough to see negative bites with this small of a jig?

or spring bobber rods that will work well for this size range?

I know the super ultralight ticklestick is rated for this but most ice rods dont list a weight rating

thanks for the help!

You are way off on your jig weight. Size 10 ratso is 1/100. Size 14 gill pill is also 1/100. Ive never seen a 1/200 jig, doubt a #10 hook weighs much more than that so you could just use a bare hook. I have some 1/124 jig heads and there is barely anything on them in terms of lead.

Ive never seen a spring load with a #10 ratso, a custom titanium might be the ticket
EYECONICFISHING

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:16 AM »
snitch rod w/ rapala titanium spring bobber, it has a glow bead on it and is super brite.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 08:34 PM »
try the smallest thill float you can find

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:50 AM »
Problem I find with titanium is there to stiff..  I found schoolly spring bobbers..  I electrical tape mine to my rods I use a medium action I use it for a verity of fish from crappie perch to bass trout.. the scholly bobbers are the most sensitive around..  I hang them a good 3 to 4 inches out the tip of the rod..

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:35 AM »
That's what I fish with 90% of the time. The perfect combo for this is a st. Croix LSR24UL paired with the light spring bobber and a 13 fishing free fall online reel....here is 2 key points to consider....with this setup your line that u spooled up is crucial in your success if it spools off and u can see coils or the slightest bit of coils all your sensitivity is gone....bc the bite will have to take those coils out before your spring bobber shows a bite....solution use a super suple line I use seagaur invizx....other trick put that tiny jig down the hole make sure that with that amount of weight that it's deflecting the spring down....if it's not stretch the spring out a little at a time until that spring is perfectly tuned for those tiny jigs.... reason being for the spring being deflected down if the fish picks the bait up and moves up a little you'll see it no problem....same goes for downward pressure....if you don't tune the spring to bow with those little jigs you won't see some bites....video camera verified...

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Catchin' Fish

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2018, 04:15 AM »
Ice Strong titaniums for me. The best for my style of fishing. I've even modified them a bit. Bent the last 3/4" at a 90* angle so that when tied on ( at about the 10 o'clock position), they are perpendicular to the rod (much easier to see the bite). And I also bent the "loop" at the end down so that the line runs free(er) to the rod tip. I use nothing larger than 4mm jigs, and most of the time it's 3mm. They do come in a couple of different thicknesses, depending on the jig size.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.