New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing keuka lake  (Read 31477 times)

Offline ugglystick101

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing keuka lake
« Reply #120 on: Mar 08, 2015, 07:11 PM »
#5 pearl shad rap has been working best for me have been puting 20 to 30 lakers on the ice a trip.  I know they sink slower than other stuff butt I like them.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #121 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:11 PM »

I did really good with a live target lipless, they hammered it..  making rigs now, I like jigs..

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:23 PM »
All these Laker experts from Keuka should take a shot at Canadice .....................t hey won't be putting 20 to 30 a day on the ice over there !!
Keuka is a cookie cutter Laker factory !!
If you think the bite is off at Keuka just move away from the crowds ........... 300 guys a day on the weekend will even educate a Laker !!
ice fishing rules

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:26 PM »
  I understand its late in the bite, nothing I could do about that, might hit canadagua next week after couple more times here.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Mar 09, 2015, 01:49 PM »

atomic sinched white sheep laker rig

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Mar 09, 2015, 04:03 PM »
Those jigs look good.  The lakers have been pukin up 3" sawbellies.

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Mar 09, 2015, 04:52 PM »

Funs not gunna last for too much longer with days like today, what a day.  They'll hit anything bright/white, I dropped down a Schalge house key with a treble tied on.

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:06 PM »
And pray the line doesn't snap. Lol

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Mar 09, 2015, 07:17 PM »

looks like a great day mcarey97.  Well I got white flukes, paddle tail flukes, white tubes, lipless cranks, 3 different kinds, jigs, sonars... flies.. not many spoons though, getting the bases covered..

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #129 on: Mar 10, 2015, 03:49 PM »
fished lakers for the first time today with filet&release and snagger........was nice to finally meet you guys face to face.....had a good time........very finicky bite......I did land 5 small lakers though......16" - 18".....missed a few short hits also....marked a ton of fish, was just tough to make them commit......heard from most people how aggressive these fish are, unfortunately not so much today.....talked to a few guys who said it was slow for them also.....left around 1:30 or so.....the boys stayed for the afternoon bite, hopefully it happened for them.......was a learning experience for sure

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #130 on: Mar 10, 2015, 03:52 PM »
All these Laker experts from Keuka should take a shot at Canadice .....................t hey won't be putting 20 to 30 a day on the ice over there !!
Keuka is a cookie cutter Laker factory !!
If you think the bite is off at Keuka just move away from the crowds ........... 300 guys a day on the weekend will even educate a Laker !!

exactly.   

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Mar 10, 2015, 03:55 PM »
I believe fishing was slower all around today. Pan fishing was even slow! After this front passes i'm betting it will be hot. Tomorrow should be good. Any one hit them good today?

Offline jiggin4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:15 PM »
Thinking after the temps and rain today, tonight and tomorrow the ice will be inaccessible from the launch. I would love to make it out this weekend but, I'm afraid it will not make it.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #133 on: Mar 11, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Snag, those seem real nice but there might be easier ways to do this. Don't go overboard, keep it simple.  I recently measured a 14lb fish that the guy caught on a cleo. He goes out almost everyday, no electronics, a plastic box with cleos and williams wobblers and a 6 1/2' ugly stick. Just bounces it up and down. One of the locals down there.

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #134 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:44 AM »
  I understand its late in the bite, nothing I could do about that, might hit canadagua next week after couple more times here.

The bite isn't "late", you just need to move away from the areas that have been fished hard for the last few weeks.  They are there and the ones that get hooked up and come off or get caught and released are getting educated a bit in the "shanty town" area.  Hopefully a newbie was able to tie into this 29" long one that smashed a tube jig and I released a few weeks back, I figure she was in the 7 to 8 lb. range.  It was my best on Keuka so far.

The trout were running much bigger this year than last. Last year, I would say the avg. that I was getting into were around 19" to 20", this year avg 24".   Perhaps with people taking a bunch out last season opened up more food opportunities for those hungry lakers that remained and kicked in a growth spurt.  BTW - most of the lakers that I kept this year for eating, gifting and smoking had one to three sawbellies (some of which were Lake Ontario size ~ 7" long!) retained in their stomachs compared to just about none last year.  I am marking more schools of baitfish (likely sawbellies) on my Lowrance this year than last year too.

With this weather and bad step on my right ankle on the ice Sunday, I am done with the hardwater this year.  Who knows if we will get ice back next year at Branchport and make it a "trifecta". 

To those still fishing, please be careful getting on the ice at the Branchport launch as the ice gets sketchy fast by the docks and at the spillway just to the left and just outside the end of the docks.  That spillway brings down a bunch of snow meltwater that erodes the ice fast.   

Offline Whatever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Mar 11, 2015, 10:39 AM »
Fished yesterday, me and my grandson had a great time he got his first laker,25". Fish were there but I'll be damn if I can keep them on. Smoker will be fired up today with what we did get.May try one more time.

Offline fish1234

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Mar 11, 2015, 02:31 PM »
Fished a few times on the weekends and have had success right out by the Branchport boat launch.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Well third try at laker fishin was a charm, 2 days of walking and drilling and trying too understand these fish finally paid off, there all done now, I got there number, figured out there moods, baits, locations and how they like it jigged, I fought 36 today, put 21 on the top side, Fred put the hammer down as well
.....what a fantastic day weatherwise and fishwise.. measured a dozen fish over 24 inches, a bunch in the 26-28 inch range.doesn't get much better. this place is absolute heaven.

took this 15 second exposure shot off my lunch pail without a remote.

Early am damage on moonshine spoon.

afternoon damage on laker death by atomic flies.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #138 on: Mar 13, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Snagger, you and Filetandrelease did a nice job on the Lakers 
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mcarey97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Mar 13, 2015, 02:10 PM »
dam, nice ones there

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 13, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Kool stuff, glad to see you Oneida boys having fun. I read a couple of pages back, it sounds like the technique could be called "vertical trolling".  ;D

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Mar 13, 2015, 04:15 PM »
Nice pics. Glad you guys figured them out.   ;D

Vertical trolling is exactly right Dug.

Step 1 - drop it down
Step 2 - reel it up
Step 3 - repeat steps 1 and 2

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Mar 13, 2015, 04:29 PM »
How is the shore ice holding up at the launch ?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Mar 13, 2015, 05:05 PM »

good yesterday, spudded it, wet but solid.  hard out deeper.  measured ice 13 inches in center 11-12 near shore.

Offline LOA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Mar 13, 2015, 05:23 PM »
I'm terrified of drowning...But i want to try kueka in the am...

Was the ice still good today, and do we think it will be good in the morning? If not ill go elsewhere

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #145 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I'm terrified of drowning...But i want to try kueka in the am...

Was the ice still good today, and do we think it will be good in the morning? If not ill go elsewhere

You'll be as safe there as anywhere .. Plenty of solid ice still. We were there today. Fish were active.
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Mar 14, 2015, 05:44 PM »
How was the shore ice at the state park today (Saturday) . any issues. Thought about driving down in the morning but don't want to make the journey if I can't get on. How many guys out there today

Offline keviny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Mar 14, 2015, 08:30 PM »
How was the shore ice at the state park today (Saturday) . any issues. Thought about driving down in the morning but don't want to make the journey if I can't get on. How many guys out there today
I did not fish but passed by and saw 15 to 20 huts out there at 1pm

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #148 on: Mar 14, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Saw them on the cam too. Over 100 views of my post and still no reports. Oh well.

Offline JJBat150

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:33 PM »
In case you missed it on the C&R thread.

Came off the ice at 2 PM. Open water around the docks, but still enough ice to get out.

8 inches of ice over 170 FOW  top inch was melted/ refrozen, and the reset was starting to honeycomb.

Looking at the forecast, doesn't look we're gonna see night below 32 until Wednesday... be safe if you head out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.